Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Toyo Proxes vs. Yokohama S-drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Toyo Proxes vs. Yokohama S-drive?

Time to replace the Kumhos on my '02 GLE. The Kumhos held up well tread wear wise over the past four years, but I would like a tire with more grip. I'm considering the Yokohama S-drive or Toyo Proxes. Which would you suggest and why? Feel free to offer another alternative. Grip in dry conditions is my main focus as I live in PHX and we don't get alot of rain and of course, no snow! I have multiple vehicles, so I only put about 5K a year on this car, so tread life isn't a main concern. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-GT-Radial-...RYYtTw&vxp=mtr

/thread lol

Seriously, screw every other tire. I put these on my G35 a month ago and wowzers. Dry traction is very good as expected for 280 treadwear tire, but the wet performance is insane for a summer tire. I tested 30 times and could not get ABS to engage on pavement even with STANDING water and rough road. It barely kicked on for slick asphalt. It's impossible to go wrong for 60 each.

I've owned proxes a couple times and UHP yokos. Proxes are decent all around, but lack the grip of a summer tire. I'd assume the yokos are similar given the specs. Cold traction is crap, but you're in suicideville :P
The plus side is that they will last longer and are very tough.

I expect to replace them in 10k or less, but wtf do I care at this price. I do drive aggressive, though (may have to get a set in case they stop production).

Some feedback that's not totally random jerk offs: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/whee...rience-298775/

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-10-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 AM

i just got Bridgestone Potenza re760 sport 235/45/R18 for my summer wheels...im excited to put them on,

for stock (cold months) i am on Kumhos Solus KH16 all seasons 215/55/R17... i dont mind the Kumhos, but u dont need a basic all season...

figure out ur budget, and use Tirerack to analyze. theier site has come a very long way and has so much information and filtering
Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Got Retrofit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Federal-SS...pXte98&vxp=mtr

Smaller profile but thank me later. Love these tires.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Federal-SS...pXte98&vxp=mtr

Smaller profile but thank me later. Love these tires.
I was going federal until I was pointed to the other.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Toyo Proxes 4+

I went with the Toyo Proxes 4+... Just had them installed yesterday. So far, so good. Grip is better than the Kumhos Ectsa ASX that I was running, but overall ride and noise is very similar between the two tires. You do hear a little more road noise and feel the road a bit more with the Proxes than the Kumhos, which I like. And these Toyos are made in the USA, so that's a plus. However, they not be cheap: about $750 with mount & balance + road hazard warranty and free rotation. The Yokohama S-drives that I was considering would have been about $100 cheaper and I like their tread pattern better, but the Proxes reviews were more favorable.
Toyo Proxes 4+ on Konig Inceptions.

Last edited by phoongdan; 05-29-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Small editions
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM

If you need high-performance summer tires, I recommend MT Street Comp's. These Mickey Thompson tires provide superb grip and handling. They have a decent tread life.