Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire wear on lowered car question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tire wear on lowered car question

Hi! I'm new here, and still learning about cars and mods! In December I bought my 05 Maxima (automatic) which already had a lot of mods done to it. One of the mods is being lowered. I've since learned a lot about it. It's lowered on springs - had I been the one to drop it, I would've done it right, upgrading the suspension as a whole. But previous owner did not, like many others. I noticed today that my tires are wearing drastically and very unevenly. From first glance, they look good. Upon closer look though, i discovered both rear tires are SO badly worn that the tire wire is visible! It's all happening along the very inner edges. The tread on the front tires seems practically new! This only seems to be happening to the rears. What would cause this, and how can I correct it? These are low profile tires and cost more than the average tire so I don't want to buy new ones to just wear those too! Do I just really badly need an alignment,or would something like a camber kit be something to consider? Like I said,

Passenger side rear

Close up

Outside of rear passenger side you'. Noticeable weather wear?

Driver side front, big difference!

It was harder to get a good picture, but this is the driver side rear. Same thing happening as the other rear tire, though this one looked worse than the passenger side.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

there are bolts you can buy at local places for the front strut to adjust and buy a control arm for the back that will change the chamber as well then get them aligned so they are the same at some shop. now you probably have a negatrive toe and it is pretty cheap to adjust with the bolt for the front and arm for the rear
Old 11-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Toe is usually everything with tire wear and when it's off it'll eat the tires just like that. You can have up to 1.5-2* of negative camber with out much accelerated tire wear, just as long as the toe is correct. Also, just because the car tracks straight, doesn't mean the toe is good.

Get some new tires and an alignment. Toe is factory adjustable.