3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'93 with BOSE system... Just so everybody knows...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:01 AM

'93 with BOSE system... Just so everybody knows...

I partially removed the door panel so I could find out once and for all what size speakers I had in there. I own a '93 Maxima SE with the BOSE system. As I am in the process of replace all the speakers in my car, I had to find out what size they were in the door panels. Ladies and gentlemen, the size of the speakers are 4".

I broke a few of the clips when removing the panel, but hey, plastic doesn't last forever, now does it? BTW, Nissan charges you $1.64 plus tax per clip. Kinda expensive, ain't it?

I read here on Maxima.org that some people said they were 4"x6", that they were 4", so I had to go in there and find out for myself.

Peace!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Bose is 4" in the front and 6x9 in the back
non-Bose is 4x6 in the front and 6.5" in the back

Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Seperated at Birth?

lurk more?

read the FAQ's... we know that the blose speakers are ~4in....

edit: initiation

edit2:
Old 03-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well, not to sound smart *** or anything, but if you read the stickies and some posts, you will know that for 3rd gen max, if you are equipped with BO$E then, your front will be 4" and your rear is 6x9

if you are however, equipped with the Active Speaker system, then your front will be 4x6

If you were to buy a speaker mount from one of the org member here, I forgot his name, then you can fit a 6.5 in the front.

edit: damn, I'm too late
Old 03-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by disgruntled
well, not to sound smart *** or anything, but if you read the stickies and some posts, you will know that for 3rd gen max, if you are equipped with BO$E then, your front will be 4" and your rear is 6x9

if you are however, equipped with the Active Speaker system, then your front will be 4x6

If you were to buy a speaker mount from one of the org member here, I forgot his name, then you can fit a 6.5 in the front.

edit: damn, I'm too late

...like a red-headed stepchild

needs more
Old 03-19-2005, 10:14 AM

ouch!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Way out West

James92SE sells the speaker pods. I believe they are $35 shipped, but worth it. I've had mine for almost two years with no problems.

It is not very hard to figure out what size speakers you have in your car. You can look inside the trunk and see the 6x9s (or 6.5s for non-Bose) and you can take a door panel off in 5 minutes or less and check that one.

Don't worry, I am sure you will have window regulators go out at some point, so you will get better at removing door panels.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:19 PM

front bose speakers in the front are 4 inch, i put 6 1/2's in my front, i just used a dremel to cut the bracket a little, they fit perfectly. the rear cant be 6x9, i ordered 6x9's and they will not fit in my 1991 maxima i must cut a bigger hole
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
front bose speakers in the front are 4 inch, i put 6 1/2's in my front, i just used a dremel to cut the bracket a little, they fit perfectly. the rear cant be 6x9, i ordered 6x9's and they will not fit in my 1991 maxima i must cut a bigger hole
They mount from underneath.

Look at the current speakers in there. Take them out. Put in new, better quality 6x9s in their place. Four little bolts and you are done.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:45 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

swapped mine for pioneers, but the speaker pods are the better route i think....
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Mine had the Bose system from the factory, but previous owner replaced the backs with 6x9's, and the fronts with 4x6's.
However, the amps are still in the back... perhaps I should remove them for possible resale... hmmmm...
Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 PM

the rear cant be 6x9, i ordered 6x9's and they will not fit in my 1991 maxima i must cut a bigger hole
Again, if your car did not come with the Bose system it won't have a 6x9 hole. My car was Bose equipped, so I could swap out any 6x9 without modification.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hadman
Again, if your car did not come with the Bose system it won't have a 6x9 hole. My car was Bose equipped, so I could swap out any 6x9 without modification.

if your car was non-bose, the rear accepts 6.75s, but most 6.5s will fit without issues.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 PM

To the retards that were flaming him. He found this out on his own and did his own work, unlike you bench racers.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

if your car was non-bose, the rear accepts 6.75s, but most 6.5s will fit without issues.
I think if you take off the Bose bracket underneath, the hole even in the Bose equipped cars is round and will take a 6.75 or 6.5.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I think if you take off the Bose bracket underneath, the hole even in the Bose equipped cars is round and will take a 6.75 or 6.5.
yeah, i think the bose had some brackets so it'll take the 6x9s.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
yeah, i think the bose had some brackets so it'll take the 6x9s.
I just kept the brackets in and dropped in a cheap set of Infinity Reference 6x9s for rear fill.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Boomer Sooner

I'm wanting to go Infinity Kappa 6x9's in the rear and Kappa 6.5's in the front!! I do think it is amazing how Bose can get such great sound out of smaller speakers... just wish mine didn't sound like crap in the rear. Also, I think my Bose headunit has a short in it.. it has this high pitched squeal that drives you nuts unless you turn up the music loud enough to cover it up. Probably why the rears sound blown! Anyone else have this problem? Just wondering
Old 03-26-2005, 10:44 PM

I have the Infinity 6.5's and 6x9 in the rear. The fronts were only pssible with removal of the stock brackets and the rear required no mod.
Black91GXE > As for the Bose headunit squeal, I would tend to think what you're hearing is a defective built in amp on one of the Bose speakers, but just a guess.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

lets tidy this up a little

fact 1. covered several times but one more will not hurt...the BOSE front is 4" but you can take the whole assy out and put a built bracket in there that will take a 6.5 or more.

fact 2. The NON BOSE is 4x6 in the front...the bracket that holds that speaker in is identical in size (where it bolts to the door) of the BOSE enclosure. SO the same 6.5 bracket that James sells (or you make yourself) can go in NON BOSE cars as well.

fact 3. The BOSE system has a 6x9 in the rear but it mounts from underneath and the actual hole in the deck is 6.75...the same hole as the non bose equiped cars.

fact 4. The NON BOSE cars have an oversize 6.5 (6.75) rear speaker...like previously stated most 6.5s will fit.

fact 5. You can take the rear bose 6x9 bracket off of a BOSE equiped max and put it on the non bose max so you can put in 6x9s without cutting the deck (I never like to cut on a nice car).

just figured I would put it in one nice little post instead of all the different posts.

The original poster was just being helpful. He found out the hard way by taking the panel off instead of reading but at least he didnt post a..."what size is the front speaker" thread for the elevendymillionth time.

**edit**
you can also modify the stock front Bose brackets to fit most 6.5" speakers
http://www.digitalbeta.net/images/In...rencefront.JPG

James' baffles are here
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...48_23_full.jpg
-MrGone (I didn't want to bump the thread
Old 03-27-2005, 11:26 PM

ok heres a question, in the active speaker, non bose, the 6.5's mount from the top right?
and should have some clarion audio speakers right?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 AM

with my car, the guy before me took the rear bose speakers out and replaced them with 6.5" pioneers, he blew them out, but he kept the front bose, guess he didnt know how to wire them, but with the rear 6x9's do you screw the screw from underneath or right through the top?? i understand that the speaker goes underneath, but does the screw go in from you drilling it up from the trunk or inside the car???? i asked this so i dont mess anyhtign up, ohh yeah, and thanks Mr. Gone!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

with my car, the guy before me took the rear bose speakers out and replaced them with 6.5" pioneers, he blew them out, but he kept the front bose, guess he didnt know how to wire them, but with the rear 6x9's do you screw the screw from underneath or right through the top?? i understand that the speaker goes underneath, but does the screw go in from you drilling it up from the trunk or inside the car???? i asked this so i dont mess anyhtign up, ohh yeah, and thanks Mr. Gone!!!

there is a bracket for the 6x9s that you attach the speaker to. It goes underneath so you put them in from the trunk.

If the guy put 6.5s in then he probably took the bracket out. you will know though...just look in your trunk and look up to where the speaker is. If you see a big black plastic piece you have the 6x9 bracket but if you see the metal shelf then he took it out.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:03 AM

so i definately need that dam bracket????, will i have to cut it for 6x9's???? can i just scrw the speaker to the metal??? or is the plastic bracket used the same way that the front speakers are used as, it has the cotton in it, for better sound i guess????
Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

You can always cut the car if you want. I wouldnt do that...just my opinion. You may still have the bracket...you just have to look.

There is no cotton in it...its just an adapter with a place for the amp to mount as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 PM

so i definately need that dam bracket????, will i have to cut it for 6x9's???? can i just scrw the speaker to the metal??? or is the plastic bracket used the same way that the front speakers are used as, it has the cotton in it, for better sound i guess????
the cotton...are you referring to the sheet right behind the front grills? that's there to prevent any foreign matter from getting to the speaker like dust, water, etc.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

replacin bose w/ an aftermarket system

hello, i was just wondering out of curiosity. is it hard to replace a bose system to an aftermarket system. the only problem to this is, i've never messed w/ a bose system before. and originally the previous owner had a cheap rewiring job done and my rears are blown out and my fronts are going. but all the amps seem to work. another problem is i got the car w/ a cheap deck, not bose w/ no color coded wires. just generics. any suggestions.. thx for reading
Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 AM

I want to clarify for everyone with the non bose (active speaker)
The fronts are 4x6, but to get other speakers in there youre probably going to end up cutting up the plastic bracket to make them fit, no big deal. The backs are screwed in from the TOP, which requires removal of the rear deck via removal of the rear seat etc. And once you get back there, the speakers themselves are 5 1/4, not 6.5, however the mounts back there allow you to put in 6.5 or 6.75 from what ive read up top here, i bought some 6x9s which im still working on getting in, for me, theres 2 options, get some of the bose mounting brackets which allow you to put in the 6x9s, or cut up the car and use some selftapping screws to get those puppies in there.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:49 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Black92Max
hello, i was just wondering out of curiosity. is it hard to replace a bose system to an aftermarket system. the only problem to this is, i've never messed w/ a bose system before. and originally the previous owner had a cheap rewiring job done and my rears are blown out and my fronts are going. but all the amps seem to work. another problem is i got the car w/ a cheap deck, not bose w/ no color coded wires. just generics. any suggestions.. thx for reading
check CraigB's page for wiring info.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:50 AM

bose is a pain in the ***, they make good stuff, but it is all a pain! ohh and i cut the holes, worked out great, everything fit!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmmm! thankx for ur reply's i truly appreciate it. how do i find craigB's wiring info tho. when you ppl mention about cutting holes. does that mean i gotta actually go find wood and cut holes too for the front. i already bought a pair of 6 x 9's for the rear. i'm guessing i gotta take the amp out just so that can fit in there.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if i get 4 x 6's for da fronts. can i just take out the amps . so in summary 4 x6's for da front, 6 x 9's for da rear. if i take out the amps. can i just squeeze it in w/o little trouble. how do i know what wires to buy? thx for taking the time out to read and give suggestions everyone. truly appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 PM

what i did to put 6 1/2's in the door panels, i cut a hole with a little tool called a dremel. worked perfectly!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black92Max
if i get 4 x 6's for da fronts. can i just take out the amps . so in summary 4 x6's for da front, 6 x 9's for da rear. if i take out the amps. can i just squeeze it in w/o little trouble. how do i know what wires to buy? thx for taking the time out to read and give suggestions everyone. truly appreciate it.
no, stock speakers never came with those size combinations. it's either 4x6 front and 6.75 rear OR 4" front and 6x9 rear.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 AM

and you are corect!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thx

thx for all your help guys. i'm not a pro w/ electrical stuff. but i guess i gotta find someone to pop them in now. don't wanna mess everything up. ya know.. but either way i appreciate the help and suggestions. thx again.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys ineed to find out a scamatic for the steareo system 90 maxima
Old 05-28-2005, 10:55 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by wilddog
hey guys ineed to find out a scamatic for the steareo system 90 maxima
A schematic for what, exactly? What are you trying to do? You want the wiring designation for the radio harness?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my problem is that i got a headunit but stock bose speakers. the speakers seem to be in good condiition, but i can't make it too loud because they havn't been crossover. so the question i have is this: which is better to do, crossover the amps in the speakers, or get new spaekers?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:05 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by G_G_L
my problem is that i got a headunit but stock bose speakers. the speakers seem to be in good condiition, but i can't make it too loud because they havn't been crossover. so the question i have is this: which is better to do, crossover the amps in the speakers, or get new spaekers?
As cheap as decent aftermarket speakers are, I would replace them. IMO, it's not worth the time rewiring two components that aren't made to be compatible.

Quick Reply: '93 with BOSE system... Just so everybody knows...