Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2001, 08:27 PM   #1
rll96se
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just wondering what everybody has gotten out of their stock clutch. My 96 SE just turned 80k and I am the second owner (but still original clutch according to dealer). It still runs great but I am worried about having to bear the expense of a new clutch. Its not slipping or anything - I just wanted to know if there is more life left based on others experience (I never dump the clutch, rip seconds, or let my wife drive my car!). Also any recommendations on a replacement? Thanks in advance for the input!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:39 PM   #2
Supporting Maxima.org Member
 
emax02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
iTrader: (1)
Posts: 8,175

The Clutch on my 95 max,

Bit the dust at 91K miles.But I learned how to drive a 5spd on that car and drove rather quickly on occasion.
__________________
Have 2004 E55 ran 12.4 @112 Stock.
2002 6spd, Max - Sold
229HP & 230TQ.
13.883 @ 100.96 MPH (2.25 60') Best MPH 101.68
emax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally posted by rll96se
Just wondering what everybody has gotten out of their stock clutch. My 96 SE just turned 80k and I am the second owner (but still original clutch according to dealer). It still runs great but I am worried about having to bear the expense of a new clutch. Its not slipping or anything - I just wanted to know if there is more life left based on others experience (I never dump the clutch, rip seconds, or let my wife drive my car!). Also any recommendations on a replacement? Thanks in advance for the input!!!
Clutch life depends on driving style and driving environment.

If you drive gently, a clutch will last a long time. If you engage in abusive driving practices (drag race starts, power shifting) the clutch will have an early death.

The clutch doesn't wear at all when your foot is off the pedal. If your driving is mostly highway miles, clutch life is unlimited because it isn't being used. If your driving is mostly in a stop-and-roll urban setting the clutch won't last long.

If you don't know anything about the original owner's style and environment it is difficult to estimate the expected service life of your clutch.
__________________
Daniel B. Martin
Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic
Daniel B. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 09:23 PM   #4
rll96se
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Quote:
Originally posted by rll96se
Just wondering what everybody has gotten out of their stock clutch. My 96 SE just turned 80k and I am the second owner (but still original clutch according to dealer). It still runs great but I am worried about having to bear the expense of a new clutch. Its not slipping or anything - I just wanted to know if there is more life left based on others experience (I never dump the clutch, rip seconds, or let my wife drive my car!). Also any recommendations on a replacement? Thanks in advance for the input!!!
Clutch life depends on driving style and driving environment.

If you drive gently, a clutch will last a long time. If you engage in abusive driving practices (drag race starts, power shifting) the clutch will have an early death.

The clutch doesn't wear at all when your foot is off the pedal. If your driving is mostly highway miles, clutch life is unlimited because it isn't being used. If your driving is mostly in a stop-and-roll urban setting the clutch won't last long.

If you don't know anything about the original owner's style and environment it is difficult to estimate the expected service life of your clutch.
Thanks Daniel. Unfortunately I do mostly city driving but not necessarily stop and go rush hour type. Any recommendation for the replacement when that time comes?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 04:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally posted by rll96se
... Any recommendation for the replacement when that time comes? [/I]
I've owned many stick-shift vehicles, including Nissans. My '99 Maxima clutch gets a grade of C minus. The car was bought new and gently driven. Despite this, it suffers from "clutch groan" and occasional chatter. Therefore, when replacement time comes, I will not buy Nissan parts. I will buy a name-brand aftermarket clutch kit. New, not remanufactured.

I don't need the extra expense and stiffer "feel" of a performance clutch. This probably holds for you, too.
__________________
Daniel B. Martin
Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic
Daniel B. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 04:54 PM   #6
Keven97SE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My old clutch disk had gobs of friction material left when I had the clutch (along with the old tranny) replaced at 73,000 miles. I imagine I could have gone 125K miles before it NEEDED replacement. My style of driving is pretty aggressive, but I don't drag the clutch, most likely the reason the clutch lasted so well. (Of course, I destroyed the tranny, so what I do well in some regards I don't...you get the picture).

Very happy with the ACT heavy duty clutch (HDMM) I have now. Stock-type friction disk but beefed up a bit, and a stronger pressure plate the holds more torque (~35% more). Not at all stiff or rough. Engagement is actually smoother than stock now, no chattering at all. Full engagement comes on a little quicker though (less travel to reach full engagement - not difficult to use or get used to though). Pedal stiffness is the same, maybe a tad firmer than stock. Cost ~$360 for everything including pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Comparable to a stock kit I think and so far seems to be superior.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:18 PM   #7
rll96se
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Keven97SE
My old clutch disk had gobs of friction material left when I had the clutch (along with the old tranny) replaced at 73,000 miles. I imagine I could have gone 125K miles before it NEEDED replacement. My style of driving is pretty aggressive, but I don't drag the clutch, most likely the reason the clutch lasted so well. (Of course, I destroyed the tranny, so what I do well in some regards I don't...you get the picture).

Very happy with the ACT heavy duty clutch (HDMM) I have now. Stock-type friction disk but beefed up a bit, and a stronger pressure plate the holds more torque (~35% more). Not at all stiff or rough. Engagement is actually smoother than stock now, no chattering at all. Full engagement comes on a little quicker though (less travel to reach full engagement - not difficult to use or get used to though). Pedal stiffness is the same, maybe a tad firmer than stock. Cost ~$360 for everything including pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Comparable to a stock kit I think and so far seems to be superior.
Thanks KEVEN97SE, the clutch you got sounds like something suitable for me. Hey Daniel, when I reverse, I hear a sound similar to if you say the word "who" and hold the syllable for an extended period of time. I know its not the sound when you let the clutch out all the way and you hear the winding. It happens on occasion, more so in the cold. It has been doing that for a year now (which is why my concern for a new clutch is increasing). BTW I had a 96 200 SE-R and the clutch started acting like what you explained at 40k!! And that's with very conservative driving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 866
I replaced my stock clutch at about 130,000 miles. The only reason I did was because I started drag racing a bit out at the track on test & tune nights. I always lift-throttle on the up-shifts, and match revs on the down-shifts. I don't ride the clutch, power shift, or miss shifts. My new GOLD Centerforce clutch is sweet.
__________________
1995 Granite Pearl Maxima SE, 5-spd. Michelin Pilot 225/50/16ZR and O-Z Monte Carlo 7.5x16. Tokico and Suspension Techniques. Stillen FSTB, RSB, RSTB, aluminum flywheel and STS. UR UDP, JWT Stage II Clutch, Place poly engine mounts, Quaife ATB differential. Place CAI, Cattman Y, GReddy Cat-back. Sony/Boston/Quart 260w system. Electric Autometer Ultra-lite EGT & Fuel Pressure gauges in dual gauge pod. JWT ecu w/ ncm, NOS 65-HP dry-shot system w/ remote bottle control, bottle warmer & blanket, purger, blow-off valve and down-tube.
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 4,601
Clutch moan

Quote:
Originally posted by rll96se
... Hey Daniel, when I reverse, I hear a sound similar to if you say the word "who" and hold the syllable for an extended period of time. ...
[/I]
That sounds like the "clutch moan" many Maxima owners (including me) occasionally hear during engagement.
__________________
Daniel B. Martin
Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic
Daniel B. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:30 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup