Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 07-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Black-i30t

White Smoke + Gas Out The Exhaust

when ever i start my car it spits out white smoke and fuel out of the exhaust. So much so that if i put my hand there it will make my hand moist with fuel. I checked all coils, all injectors. I am getting two errors on the scanner, (1) Evap (small leak) (2) Random misfire. yet the car suffers from neither of the symptoms behaviors. Help please!!!

thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had this happen. It was because my seals went bad and fuel started leaking into the exhaust and out the end. I would get new engine seals, ie, head gasget, exhaust manifold, etc.

MODS: Tinted DC corners|PIAA bulbs all around|97+ AE Headlights|Full Custom Leather conversion|FSTB|FrankenCar Intake|Mobile 1Synthetics|STS|KYB-AGX/Eibach Pro Kit|2.5" Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Fidanza Flywheel|Budget y-pipe|Brembo Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk pads|OEM Sawblade Wheels
Linkage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:34 PM   #3

Points: 9,364, Level: 65 Points: 9,364, Level: 65 Points: 9,364, Level: 65
Activity: 3.7%
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%
White smoke (steam)?

Take off your oil fill cap and look at the underside. Whitish gooey gunk?

Pull the dipstick? Foam? More whitish gooey gunk?

Oil level up or down unexpectedly?

Water level up or down unexpectedly?

All these symptoms usually mean head gasket, cracked head, cracked block (the latter two are much less common).

If you car exhibits any of these symptoms, be sure to get it looked at right away. Water is not a good lubricant and oil is not a good coolant.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
Black-i30t

i had all the gaskets checked, EVERYTHING!! thats not the problem.. got anything else????? please someone help.. i miss driving my baby!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:35 AM   #5
Black-i30t

PROBLEM SOLVED

The O2 Sensor behind my Straight pipe had gone bad so the car was making a rich fuel mixture. So i put my cat back on and away with the straightpipe. Although my friend, "maximumpower96" has had no problems with his straightpipe my car seems to not like the pipe. SO ITS OUT!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 AM   #6
Donating Maxima.org Member

Points: 12,461, Level: 73 Points: 12,461, Level: 73 Points: 12,461, Level: 73
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: White Smoke + Gas Out The Exhaust

My friend had a similar problem on his Subaru Impreza.. It turns out his ECU had gone bad somehow. Installed a new factory ECU and everything was right again. Not saying that's the case with you.. But its worth looking in to.

ZuM

Quote:
Originally posted by Black-i30t
when ever i start my car it spits out white smoke and fuel out of the exhaust. So much so that if i put my hand there it will make my hand moist with fuel. I checked all coils, all injectors. I am getting two errors on the scanner, (1) Evap (small leak) (2) Random misfire. yet the car suffers from neither of the symptoms behaviors. Help please!!!

thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Points: 35,644, Level: 100 Points: 35,644, Level: 100 Points: 35,644, Level: 100
Activity: 41.9%
Activity: 41.9% Activity: 41.9% Activity: 41.9%
Send a message via AIM to njmaxseltd
Quote:
Originally posted by Black-i30t
i had all the gaskets checked, EVERYTHING!! thats not the problem.. got anything else????? please someone help.. i miss driving my baby!
A by-product of combustion is water. The white smoke, if not excessive is normal and some water will also come from your tail pipe. Are you 100% sure it's fuel?

This is usually more pronounced in the winter time.

As the 4th gen ages, its owners get younger.
njmaxseltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement