4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this supposed to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Maxima.Org's Official Lurker

Is this supposed to happen?

Hey guys,

I was on my way home from clearfield, PA last night and was curious as to how fast my max could realistically perform since there was like no one on the road. When I reach top gear the rpms lock at 4k. I know the SE doesn't have a rev limiter, and the engine didn't cut off, so i was curious as to why this is happening. Any thoughts? I have an auto btw...

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 AM

How fast were you going at 4K?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
How fast were you going at 4K?
it varied between 120-125 each time i tried
Old 08-07-2005, 09:18 AM

That's fast enough. The car is probably good for about 140mph, but why do you need to go that fast? As far as not being able to exceed 4K, I suspect your car doesn't have a transmission problem, rather it may be something like needing new spark plugs or a coil issue. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and have you ever used fuel injector additives?

Also what size wheels and tires are you running?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

turn OD off next time.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Black Maxima

If your an Automatic - use the overdrive/off button. You will rev out third gear until you reach maximum mph. Then kick it into 4th to continue where you left off from ~130...

Old 08-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Back from the dead

125 is fun isnt it
Old 08-07-2005, 09:27 AM

140 is fun, but then the little thoughts of "I wonder how my tires are doing" makes it much less fun
Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 AM

That's fast enough. The car is probably good for about 140mph, but why do you need to go that fast? As far as not being able to exceed 4K, I suspect your car doesn't have a transmission problem, rather it may be something like needing new spark plugs or a coil issue. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and have you ever used fuel injector additives?

Also what size wheels and tires are you running?
It is fast enough, but i just wanted to see if i could utilize the full potential of a VQ on a fairly stock engine (minus frankencar intake). Spark plugs are new as of last month (oem platinum), the original owner i bought the car from last yr had the coil packs changed (damn 99's), and fuel filter was changed back in march. I'm running stock wheels and tires (Yokohama Avid V4S 215-55-16) Oh and I've never used any fuel additives.

Also FYI, I had the stock airbox on for the beginning leg of the trip, with same results
Old 08-07-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
125 is fun isnt it
i wouldnt know
Old 08-07-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
turn OD off next time.
Originally Posted by Black Maxima
If your an Automatic - use the overdrive/off button. You will rev out third gear until you reach maximum mph. Then kick it into 4th to continue where you left off from ~130...
I did that from 80-110, but i didnt feel comfortable doing it any higher because i didnt want to put too much strain on 3rd or somehow ruin the torque converter (as i am assuming that is turned off when OD is off)...do correct me if i'm wrong please..

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
125 is fun isnt it
125 is fun, but i think 140 would be much more fun
I was actually able to shave an hour off my travel time home compared to the ride there with no traffic and high speeds
Old 08-07-2005, 09:40 AM

or get a Vb modd and you wont have to worry about OD on or off
Old 08-07-2005, 01:58 PM

bump... :attention
Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 PM

You still haven't responded to my query re: what size tires and wheels are you running?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2 MaXiMuS 4
bump... :attention
why ar eyou bumping, i gave you the answer along with someone else already
Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 PM

You still haven't responded to my query re: what size tires and wheels are you running?
Bobo, I mentioned that in thread #9
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
why ar eyou bumping, i gave you the answer along with someone else already

You gave me a solution to the issue, but I would like to know as to why the car was doing that
Old 08-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

You gave me a solution to the issue, but I would like to know as to why the car was doing that
This topic has been addressed several times already, you have search, your primary answer was given, search away.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 AM

Bobo, I mentioned that in thread #9
My bad, I see now.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:22 AM

the reason you topped out at 125 is because nissan built a speed limiter into the computer. there were 2 different stickies as to how to get around this. i remember that the simplest one was to cut a wire going into the computer. however, this would cause the check engine light to come on after about 5 minutes or so. the other proceedure was more complex because it kept the check engine light off.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:53 AM

its cus you have an auto that you have speed limiter.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sdoherty_tjm
I have an auto and I have no limiter.

I think it went into OD, shut off OD next time you wanna get to 130 or it will shift and stop pulling..
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Under the radar

My Dads 96 had no speed limiter. I can recall hiting about 135, with NO mods.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sdoherty_tjm
yeah, i have a 97 gxe with auto and it tops out about 125. i haven't done the mod so i can't guarantee it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
yeah, i have a 97 gxe with auto and it tops out about 125. i haven't done the mod so i can't guarantee it.
Glad to see there is another old guy on the board who likes to give it from time to time. My 95SE is a 5-speed and has no rev limiter. I did my one and only high-speed run in May 1997 and wound the speedometer off the end by about 1/2" before I shut it down. I won't be doing that again anytime soon, lol!

I was trying to see if Road & Track was right when they said a 95SE could go 143 mph. Mine did.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 AM

The answer is that the engine does not have enough torque to go faster than 125 mph in OD. It stops accelerating at 4 krpm because that is where the peak torque is. It can go faster in 3rd because you get more torque to the wheels in 3rd.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Your curiosity clouded your judgement with safety. You are lucky your tires didn't fail on you going that fast! Do you even know what speed your tires are rated at? It's pointless to go faster than 125mph in any car unless your plain insane and tired of living.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:47 PM

There is only a speed limiter in GXE and i believe GLE models, so this is not the case. If i had a speed limiter my engine would have cut off at around 120.

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Your curiosity clouded your judgement with safety. You are lucky your tires didn't fail on you going that fast! Do you even know what speed your tires are rated at? It's pointless to go faster than 125mph in any car unless your plain insane and tired of living.
DR-Max, my tires are V rated (149 mph). Granted going high speeds is dangerous, especially if you are a careless driver. At the time i was doing this, the road was as empty and as straight as can be. Also, my plan is not to hit over 125mph whenever I get the chance, I just wanted to learn the limits of the car.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max

God am I ever old,,,I fail to see the point of goin 125mph, or 100 for that matter....
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Originally Posted by Norm_Nav
God am I ever old,,,I fail to see the point of goin 125mph, or 100 for that matter....
No real point, its a rush. Why go to theme parks and ride rollercoasters? Its a rush.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM

There's definatly something wrong with your car. When i did my speed run(did it only once and will NOT do it again unless on a track), the needle locket at 140 on my car when i was only at about 5k rpm. I took it all the way to a little below 6.5 in 4th gear. Im sure i was about 145-150 by that time, but the speedo is off by a lot at those speeds usually. BTW, i only had a K&N panel filter back then, everything else stock. Maybe your KS is out or something, although i heard that it doesn't affect higher speeds that much.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Well driving over 80mph makes anyone a careless driver, driving excessively fast makes anyone a careless driver, even if its for educational purposes since you said you wanted to learn the limits of your car. But I'm not gonna make a big case out of it, what's done is done.

Driving excessively fast and riding a roller coasters are two very different things. Roller coasters are on rails and are controlled by many safety mechanisms and most of them don't even go that fast. Driving a car that fast has no safety net, you skid...loose control....and your dead, and you might even involve innocent by-standers which is really pointless and very irresponsible. Again, I'm not gonna make a big case out of this, what's done is done. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in it.

DR-Max, my tires are V rated (149 mph). Granted going high speeds is dangerous, especially if you are a careless driver. At the time i was doing this, the road was as empty and as straight as can be. Also, my plan is not to hit over 125mph whenever I get the chance, I just wanted to learn the limits of the car.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:57 PM

i've listened to this "speed kills" stuff all my life. my mother always gave me grief & misery about how i drove. but she didn't drive. however, after my father died she learned to drive. the very first highway trip she took to visit relatives in michigan, she got a ticket for going 85. and what did she tell me when i found out? "its fun going fast!"
Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM

What makes it so careless if there are other countries with higher speed limits if not any at all (i.e. autobahn). I know its your opinion and i'm not knocking it, but if the U.S had some stricter regulations for acquiring a driver's license, the issue of carelessness and death wouldnt be as big an issue. In Germany, you have to spend roughly $5000 US on driver safety courses and such before being eligible to take a driver's test.

When I do drive over 80, one its to for the rush, and two if I can do it safely with no harm to other drivers it gets me to point B a lot quicker than doing 55 in the slow lane. We were given the ability to go fast for some reason, and I don't want to let that go to waste.. Also, you ever do something just for the sake of doing it; you know just so you can say you did it? For example, the whole reason i went on this trip was to go to a pub which offers the world's largest cheeseburger (15lbs). There was no way i was gonna finish it, but how many people can say hey i tried to eat the world's largest cheeseburger, or hey the fastest i've ever gone in my car is 130mph? Not that many compared to 75mph...

Anyway to get back on topic, If I can on my next long drive on I-80, I will turn the O/D off and see if I can get any different results.

Thanks to those who gave useful input and meaningful opinions.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 PM

There's no comparison between Germany, for example, and the US. You stated it yourself, the Germans would have to go thru all those safety courses before they become eligible to drive, the U.S..... we'll you know the answer to that. I have driven the autobahn before, you are an obstruction if you drive slower than those german driver's. Some lanes do have speed limits. Slow drivers must stay on the right lanes. But for the most part, drivers who drive the autobahn are well-trained and cooperative. You won't see a woman doing +120mph talking on her cell phone and ignoring everything else on the road. This puts the autobahn in a whole different category from any of the freeways and highways in the US. Our freeways are like parking lots and most people who drive in it shouldn't be driving at all. Remember, driving in this country is a privilege, not a leisure. Other people make it a leisure but that doesn't change the law. If you take such responsibility as fun and games and you have to get a rush out of it, then that makes you irresponsible. That's the way I see it.

Just wanted to add that eventhough autobahn speed is unlimited for the most parts, they do recommend a speed limit of 81mph (130km/h). And that's recommended for those highly-trained german drivers. What more of those here in the US, take Los Angeles or NY for that matter.

What makes it so careless if there are other countries with higher speed limits if not any at all (i.e. autobahn). I know its your opinion and i'm not knocking it, but if the U.S had some stricter regulations for acquiring a driver's license, the issue of carelessness and death wouldnt be as big an issue. In Germany, you have to spend roughly $5000 US on driver safety courses and such before being eligible to take a driver's test.

When I do drive over 80, one its to for the rush, and two if I can do it safely with no harm to other drivers it gets me to point B a lot quicker than doing 55 in the slow lane. We were given the ability to go fast for some reason, and I don't want to let that go to waste..

Anyway to get back on topic, If I can on my next long drive on I-80, I will turn the O/D off and see if I can get any different results.

Thanks to those who gave useful input and meaningful opinions.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:16 PM

DR-Max, I see where you're coming from, and I do agree, but its hard for me to let other people dictate what I can or cannot do, even if its the law (I know what you're thinking, this is why we have law enforcement to keep people like me off the streets). But, if I see I can do what I want without endangering other people and am willing to accept the consequences then so be it...
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Dr. Max, if you are referring to me I was in the middle of nowhere by myself at 8:00 AM in the Interior of British Columbia on the Coquihalla Highway, a 4-lane divided highway. There is no one living within 40 miles of where I was and not a car on the road. At the time my Goodyear Eagle RSA tires had about 22K on them.

There are parts of North America that are not as populated as Southern California.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 AM

you guys should know that tire ratings are determined because the tire can 2 minutes of speeds increasing by 10 mph increments. so if you have v rated, you can sustain speesd of 149 for 2 minutes safely
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Bottom Line..SE's dont have limiters, and neither do the GLE's.Do the O/D off button. and don't worry about the tranny, its put there by Nissan for a reason.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo1er
No real point, its a rush. Why go to theme parks and ride rollercoasters? Its a rush.

yeh, a SAFE rush!

Quick Reply: Is this supposed to happen?