4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Condition Recharging

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Air Condition Recharging

i plan to let out all my air out my a/c completely and just freshly fill it up with the right amount, because i dont htink i have enough in there

anyone know how many lbs or oz i shud put in? and the oil too. 32oz or 2lbs? whats the amount the a/c holds?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NAPhi_Shift
i plan to let out all my air out my a/c completely and just freshly fill it up with the right amount, because i dont htink i have enough in there

anyone know how many lbs or oz i shud put in? and the oil too. 32oz or 2lbs? whats the amount the a/c holds?
The AC system holds refrigerant, not air.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM

Yea, dont let it out. I believe you can just top er off.
Anyone know where the fill points are?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:21 AM

you know what i meant, lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fill points are along a pipe running front to back on the drivers side. There are 2 points with blue caps on them marked with H and L (high and low pressure) Use the one with the L.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM

I just did mine this weekend, the system can hold about 2 cans. The fill point is on the left side of the engine bay and it has a blue top with an L label for LOW. I would just get 1 can and see if it gets cold after you add that, its really bad if you overfill the system. Check the stickies for more info on this.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 AM

2 cans of how much though lol cans come in diff sizes.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:02 PM

I was going to replace the AC compressor myself but found out that the system had to be discharged first and I wasn't about to get into that as discharging freon into the atmosphere is illegal and is a big safety risk for me. So now I have to take it to an EPA certified shop and let them do the work instead.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Is your A/C leaking or not blowing cold air? As I understand it, the A/C is a closed system and does not need to be "filled up." I would not mess around with it if you don't have to.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM

Nope, but the bearings are going out and is making this loud whining noise. I borrowed a friend's auto s-t-e-t-h-oscope and found that the noise is coming from it not the alternator. Worse case scenario, I'll get a shorter serpentine belt, for now, and by-pass the ac compressor but I really don't want to do that because it is so hot in California right now.

Originally Posted by Luxor99
Is your A/C leaking or not blowing cold air? As I understand it, the A/C is a closed system and does not need to be "filled up." I would not mess around with it if you don't have to.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM

It should be 24oz
Old 08-08-2005, 07:38 PM

guys to properly fill the system u need to have the old stuff vacumed out and refilled... just pay the shop to do it.. they know what they are doing... besides if air is getting in there or its leaking they you need to have it serviced anyways.... ac never wears out unless u introduce air or it just leaks out...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Either take it to a professional or if you really want to mess it up..umm.. I mean fix it yourself is get a retrofit kit; it's like $35 comes with 2 cans and a gauge. You won't have to guess the level and it tells you what port to attach it to. Two cans should be more than enough to recharge even if it is totally out.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The CORRECT way to recharge your A/C system is to recover whats in it, apply a vacuum to the system and then MEASURE the correct quantity of R134 pumped back into the system.

Pressure charging doesn't always work correctly becuase the system pressures change as the ambient temperature changes.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:01 AM

Ok, so you are going to just release the contents and do a fresh fill right? Do you realize that it is not only really bad for the environment, but also more than just a little illegal to do that right?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:35 AM
sky jumper

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The CORRECT way to recharge your A/C system is to recover whats in it, apply a vacuum to the system and then MEASURE the correct quantity of R134 pumped back into the system.

Pressure charging doesn't always work correctly becuase the system pressures change as the ambient temperature changes.
ok - so I just added a 1/2 can of R134 (which included some kind of oil, either PAG or poly ester) without venting the system. the AC seems to work great - but will this f* something up in the future? the pressue in the system didn't change at all.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
I was going to replace the AC compressor myself but found out that the system had to be discharged first and I wasn't about to get into that as discharging freon into the atmosphere is illegal and is a big safety risk for me. So now I have to take it to an EPA certified shop and let them do the work instead.
The refrigerant in your air conditioning system is R134a, not R12. There is no Freon, nor are there any CFCs. There are no serious environmental issues with R134a. It does not deplete ozone. You will not get skin cancer.

I've been meaning to recharge mine, too. After 10 years and a helluva lot of miles the AC system just isn't cutting it anymore. However, before I just fill it, I've been meaning to have it pressure tested to see if I need any seals replaced. How much does R134a cost?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 AM

OK...take a deep breath and think for a moment.....
Now, if you are intent on adding R134a to your system at least get a book with a temperature/pressure chart and a description of how the AC works - it is complicated. Don't be BONEHEAD an approach this like you are changing your oil or other straightforward maintance. Resist the temptation to overfill the system - it is very easy to do with those bottles with the gauge attached. More is not better - especially with 134a!!

To little 134a = hot air, too much 134a =hot air. Get a manfold gauge and a vent temperture probe. Read up and you just might be successful - Haynes has a AC book that is good.

Buy the time you get all the proper equipment you would probably be better off following this wisdom that I have had rubbed in my face numerous times: When all else fails (which it probably will) go to a professional to save time, money, and aggravation.

BTW, It is illegal to vent 134a to the atmosphere.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by joecraps
OK...take a deep breath and think for a moment.....
Now, if you are intent on adding R134a to your system at least get a book with a temperature/pressure chart and a description of how the AC works - it is complicated. Don't be BONEHEAD an approach this like you are changing your oil or other straightforward maintance. Resist the temptation to overfill the system - it is very easy to do with those bottles with the gauge attached. More is not better - especially with 134a!!

To little 134a = hot air, too much 134a =hot air. Get a manfold gauge and a vent temperture probe. Read up and you just might be successful - Haynes has a AC book that is good.

Buy the time you get all the proper equipment you would probably be better off following this wisdom that I have had rubbed in my face numerous times: When all else fails (which it probably will) go to a professional to save time, money, and aggravation.

BTW, It is illegal to vent 134a to the atmosphere.
I agree 100%. This is something I would be inclined to have done properly. I had to recharge my R134a on a road trip 2 years ago and was forced to go to a shop that was licensed to do the work. I left with the satisfaction that it was done properly, although the cost was more than I expected. That's life, but I should be good to go for a number of years.

If you don't use your AC that often throughout the year at least turn the defroster on for 10 minutes at least once a month as its the same compressor and will ensure the seals don't dry out, leading to the R134a escaping.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 AM

I also agree with the guys, I'd let the pro's do it. It even states it in the Chilton manual that I use. R134 or not, they left out the steps for servicing the AC system because it is a great liability for DYI'ers to do so without proper equipment. It further states that it is ILLEGAL to vent refrigerants into the atmosphere as it is classified as a greenhouse gas. Federal law dictates a fine of up to $25k! The AC system should be serviced by an EPA section 609 certified automotive technician utilizing a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.

I'm not gonna gamble myself on taking this matter in my own hands. It does suck to have to spend more money to have this done by someone else but I am convinced that it be more economically feasible to have a qualifed tech to this job.