4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help taking off tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM

help taking off tranny

ok i didnt want to make a thread for this but i need help. im trying to take my tranny off my parts car before it gets towed off to the junk yard for good.

I have everything off but it wont budge...I have every hose and wire off the tranny, the tranny mount is off, the starter is off, the passenger axle is off. the driver axle is still in but it doesnt matter cause its not attached to the hub or whatever, then lastly i have every bolt that holds the bellhousing to the the engine.

now that seems like that is everything but it will not come off. do i need to put a jack under it to lift it up a bit before pulling it out or should i be able to pull it off my self? idk what to do, ive never taken a tranny off before and i have every thing off i can see and it still doesnt budge.

...ive even tried standing on it and getting the whole thing to bounce up and down.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I support for what?

Did you by chance remove the crossmember and support the engine? Also are you sure you removed all the bolts? I think there are 10 bolts. I cant remember off the top of my head. Also you have to pull out on the trans as the shaft is inside of the clutch. I cant remember the exact precedure but your best bet is to get the FSM and then you can see exactly what needs to be removed.

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/805

Last edited by Mxrider52; 12-11-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Did you by chance remove the crossmember and support the engine? Also are you sure you removed all the bolts? I think there are 10 bolts. I cant remember off the top of my head.

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/805
do you have to remove the cross member beneath the engine? i thought that just supported the engine and i dont see where that connects to the tranny anywhere?

you are talking about the piece that attaches to the front and rear motor mounts right?
the piece at the bottom of this pic:
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM

ive looked at the motorvate write up but i dont see where that crossmember attaches to the tranny, even in this pic
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I support for what?

I cant remember off the top of my head but I know I removed the crossmember whether it is in the way or not I cannot say. But I assume it is in the way since both motorvate and the FSM state to remove it.

I do not remember the exact way I did it but I believe I had to wiggle the trans around quite a bit to break it loose from the block. Also I believe there is a hole in the trans housing where it connects to the block that allows you to stick a screw driver in and pry it apart. I know for a fact the trans just didnt slide off. So you will just have to keep messing with it.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 3d gen and just changed the motor- what i did was release the whole under carriage and then separated the trans from the motor. it seemed easy with everything out of the car.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM

It needs to be slid off because there are mini like dowels on the block, 2 of them, that stick into the bellhousing. Standing on it, jumping up/down isnt going to get it off, and it's also dangerous. It needs to be slid off. And before that, the seal that it made for itself will need to be broken. Get under it or use a transmission jack, and gently work it off. Mine was like that. Also if you remove the crossmember, make sure that you support the engine.

Last edited by Maximeltman; 12-11-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
4th Gen Parts King

You don't have to remove the cross member. Your probably forgetting a bolt. If i had to guess it would be the 17mm one above the passenger axle thats bolting the engine to the trans.

There should be two starter bolts bolting the trans to the engine. One is a 14mm the other is a 17mm. Then three more 17mm bolts bolting the trans to the engine.

Then there 5 bolts bolting the engine to the trans. 4 of them are 14mm. One of them is actually holding the shift rod bracket on. So make sure you got that one as well.
Thats all there is to it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 PM
4th Gen Parts King

I circled the bolt holes for you.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 PM

On my auto i had to remove the bolts that held the flywheel(or whatever you call this) to the torque converter don't know if its the same for manual, which is hard to do with cross member on. You might not even have to do this, but i always do it.
I do axles, then battery,intake, starter, top bolts, cross member/front and back mounts, converter bolts, bottom bolts, transmission mount. I even use a piece of wood and a jack on engine to control it that when dropping transmission.
Auto has transmission cooler lines, shifter linkage, then 4 or so electronic clips.

PS:I'm gonna try to not drop cross member next time.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The x-member doesn't need to come off IF you remove the 4-bolts for the trans mount.

The tourqe converter if your auto doesn't have to be unbolted, it should but doesn't have to.

One of two thngs is probably going on. You missed the ONE 17mm bolt that goes in from the same direction as the smaller 14mm bolts, it's up near the passanger side axle and VERY hard to see & get at. OR, you need to break the seal, it can be a royal PITA. Jack under tranny lightly lifting it while wiggling the hell out of the jcak can help, but sometimes you need to take a deisel peice of wood/log/railroadtie & bang the **** out of it. Good luck man.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350

The tourqe converter if your auto doesn't have to be unbolted, it should but doesn't have to.
It can be pretty tight in there, I did my mothers 02 GTP transmission which no way was i going to get the transmission out without taking off the torque converter(off topic) I can see how it can be done plus you gotta line up the torque converter into the transmission, there is a little groove. If you can do it, way to go, not for me.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 AM

thanks guys, i know i have all the bolts off. I counted 10 and yes i have the one by the passenger axle. I think most likely i just need to break the seal and slide it off. I wasnt aware that this part of it was going to be so difficult.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
thanks guys, i know i have all the bolts off. I counted 10 and yes i have the one by the passenger axle. I think most likely i just need to break the seal and slide it off. I wasnt aware that this part of it was going to be so difficult.
I think the first time pulling my trans, it didnt want to break loose from the engine. Most likely it is the two dowel pins that is making it difficult. Just keep prying at it, theres a hole on the bottom and find raised portions around the top side of the trans that you can use to pry against.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM

i did it guys, i used a huge ice breaker to knock it loose and break the seal.
then with a flat head i was able to pry it lose. i didnt need to take off the cross member for those who are wondering.

this makes me really happy cause i have to get rid of my parts car by this friday and i would cry if i lost the tranny with it.

heres a pic of the VQ30de power before she gets towed to the junk yard:

Last edited by black_maxed95; 12-12-2007 at 11:52 AM.