Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to USC Justice
Leaking Manual transmission question

OK. I have done the 5spd conversion on my 96 Maxima SE. Got it put back together and it leaked from both axle seals. replaced the seals, and it still leaked from both sides. Read some more and discovered the thread on the Differential Bearings. Out of the car goes the transmission for a tear down. The bearings and their races were shot to say the least. There was no other damage inside the transmission.

New races, shims, bearings, and reassemby. Now the transmission is back in the car. It leaks a little from the passenger side axle seal at the bottom (not from the axle itself). I have now changed out with a spare passenger side axle that I had from the automatic. No change in the leak. I have also changed out the seal on the passenger side as well. Now that this has been completed, it still leaks a bit, but much less than before.

Could it be that I have overfilled the transmission (read conflicting reports on how much transmission fluid goes in) and it's simply pushing out the overfilled amount through the seal?

Any other thoughts on the possible cause for the leak? The axle seal is from Nissan, and I also checked where the seal fits for any burrs or other abberations that could prevent the seal from seating.

Thanks in advance.
Donald
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
The Dirty Pearl

Points: 22,847, Level: 93 Points: 22,847, Level: 93 Points: 22,847, Level: 93
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Did you fill the trans on (relatively) level ground? If so, you didn't overfill it (not without some sort of pump and quick hands, anyway).

There's a breather for excess fluid, it wouldn't leak out of a seal.

You put an auto axle in your trans?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to USC Justice
The car is a 96, the transmission is from a 97, and the manual axles are from a 99. As I understand it, the passenger side axle is the same regardless of auto or manual. Currently the manual axles are in both sides.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement