infiniti i30 won't start - Maxima Forums



4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

infiniti i30 won't start

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
infiniti i30 won't start

got an acquaintance with a strange problem. Has a nice infiniti i30 that wont' start for anything. Even switched out the engine with one from a maxima and the same problem. So I'm thinking ecu??? The vehicle will crank and crank but not start. Crank sputter gasp die just don't start. Fuel pump?? Security system?? I appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by jasonaaronfox; 09-29-2010 at 03:41 PM.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox View Post
got an acquaintance with a strange problem. Has a nice infiniti i30 that wont' start for anything. Even switched out the engine with one from a maxima and the same problem. So I'm thinking ecu??? The vehicle will crank and crank but not start. Crank sputter gasp die just don't start. Fuel pump?? Security system?? I appreciate any thoughts.
Possibly security system. What year is it?? Also could be MAF, CKPS, ECTS, etc... You need to scan for codes and get back to us.
Trini Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle TN
Posts: 7,002
so do you hear the starter? When you turn the key does anything happen? Did you check the battery?
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini Boom View Post
Possibly security system. What year is it?? Also could be MAF, CKPS, ECTS, etc... You need to scan for codes and get back to us.

No codes. Like I said, he straight up switched engines with a maxima and the same problem was there so it can't be ckps or ects. MAF possibly, I will switch it with the maxima's friday and see.

As for security system that was what I was thinking, but I"m unfamiliar how to reset it.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
It's a fully loaded 99. I'm thinking it's the NATS

Going to try the reset friday. Here's hoping.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle TN
Posts: 7,002
No response to anything I asked
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
That would be because I already stated that the car cranks and sputters when you turn the key. Obviously the batter is working or THAT WOULDNT HAPPEN. On top of that the entire engine was replaced which INCLUDES THE STARTER. You need to learn to read more carefully.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NOR☼CAL
Posts: 647
Its a loaded 99, which has a series 3 alarm system override of the fuel injection system. Get it reset and then test.
cartman854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle TN
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox View Post
That would be because I already stated that the car cranks and sputters when you turn the key. Obviously the batter is working or THAT WOULDNT HAPPEN. On top of that the entire engine was replaced which INCLUDES THE STARTER. You need to learn to read more carefully.
does it crank long enough to start, or does it crank and sound weak

Listen noob, dont call somebody out with your weak post count of 100...Seriously if you knew it all you wouldnt be posting here to ask questions
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (59)
 
nsnrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 2,785
It is definitely the NATS system, you'll have to tow the vehicle to the dealership (infiniti/nissan), and have the key reprogrammed. Might as well get a duplicate at the same time, it'll be cheaper.
nsnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkdude View Post
does it crank long enough to start, or does it crank and sound weak

Listen noob, dont call somebody out with your weak post count of 100...Seriously if you knew it all you wouldnt be posting here to ask questions
I've rebuilt 2 vq30de engines but have never dealt with the 99 electrical system.



Last edited by jasonaaronfox; 09-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnrider View Post
It is definitely the NATS system, you'll have to tow the vehicle to the dealership (infiniti/nissan), and have the key reprogrammed. Might as well get a duplicate at the same time, it'll be cheaper.
That's what I was thinking. He noted the security light is on and it won't start anymore when I called him a minute ago. Car also went into limp mode last time it was running. Thinking this is a mixture of electrical problems. Probably the air temp sensor, maf, and the NATS when he used the wrong key.

Does the reset routine someone mentioned in a thread here work? I read it in one of the nats threads.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle TN
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox View Post

Nope, Im not the one that changed an engine while the security light is on

Im out/
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkdude View Post
Nope, Im not the one that changed an engine while the security light is on

Im out/
Wow, you prove your lack of IQ and reading comprehension skills ONCE AGAIN!!

I did not change out an engine with a security light on, the person that came to me for help did.

Good show sir, good show!!!!!!!
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
So, can you guys think of any problems I would run into switching the ecu out for my 95 maxima ecu until I can get a dealership reset on the infiniti ecu nats. I think the nats is in lockout mode.
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle TN
Posts: 7,002
IIRC you will need to find another ECU of the same year and same tranny type
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (3)
 
beegeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 766
LOL...this thread is funny. Jason, I feel bad for your friend. Switching engines for something not related to the engine must be epic fail.
beegeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
LOL...this thread is funny. Jason, I feel bad for your friend. Switching engines for something not related to the engine must be epic fail.
He sells cars on the side so he made money off of doing it. The maxima he put the engine in sold for good money. But the new infiniti engine he put in this vehicle still wouldn't start. Epic fail. :P

gonna try pulling fuse 56 to clear security codes and try to start before taking to the stealership for a security system reset. bwaaah, stupid imobilizers
jasonaaronfox is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
battery draining while car is off markevans999 3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) 7 09-10-2015 05:29 PM
2012 S - Base Audio - adding Basslink 9aj9 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 4 09-09-2015 02:55 PM
CA Alternator for 95-99 Maxima and Infiniti i30 96-99 Maxima 97 SE 4th Generation Classifieds (1995-1999) 0 09-04-2015 03:16 AM
long crank no speedo no rpm mvm062 Infiniti I30/I35 0 09-02-2015 08:35 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.