4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can anyone help me identify this hose in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone help me identify this hose in the rear?

Hi all, Im new here and hoping someone can help me out. I have a 98 Maxima GLE, live in Michigan and the winters/rust are starting to get the best of my trusty ride to say the least...

Anyways I got out of my car and noticed this hose dangling in the drivers side rear wheel well and hoping I can get some information. It doesnt seem that its affecting anything... yet anyway im hoping its just a breather or something, dont know a whole lot about cars. Pictures attached I know shes rusty lol. Thanks for any help!

It seems to just be dripping a little bit of water. Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:19 PM

That is the left rear sunroof drain hose. There are four total in the corners. That rubber piece is a grommet for mounting that hose onto the inner quarter panel that is rusted away on your max.

With water dripping that drain hose is still operating correctly. You just need body work on that quarter panel. It's common for our quarter panels to rust away in highly salted regions. Happened to both my quarter panels, front fenders, lower RAD support........my rocker panels are the only common rustable body peice that hasn't rotted away on my 98 yet.

Last edited by jholley; 12-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you so much! greatly appreciated! the front isnt in bad shape its the rear that is getting the worst of it. I love my maxima, I'm almost at 215K and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. Thanks so much again.

Last edited by meisterg; 12-22-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by meisterg
Thank you so much! greatly appreciated! the front isnt in bad shape its the rear that is getting the worst of it. I love my maxima, I'm almost at 215K and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. Thanks so much again.
Well, if it helps...I have 329,000...sometimes the wheels really do feel like they're falling off.

My car grew up in Colorado winters, but they don't use actual salt like the Great Lakes. So I have some minor under carriage rust. If I were you, I'd buy some liquid wrench spray for rust, and spray it under there after you wash the undercarriage of car after every big snow or once a year when the winter is over. It'll dissolve and penetrate the rust and prevent it from spreading. It's mainly petroleum so I don't think it's a fire Hazard either if it gets on the exhaust/muffler lines.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Rit

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
. It's mainly petroleum so I don't think it's a fire Hazard either if it gets on the exhaust/muffler lines.
Petroleum products tend to burn very well. I don't think I would want it to get on the exhaust system.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:45 AM

These cars amaze me. A VW from 1998'would have no rust under the same conditions. What was Nissan thinking, lower rad support failure was so common. That doesn't even happen on a 1998'Hyundai.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Black Lion

And I thought my rear drivers side was rusted.. If youre looking on keeping that car have it repaired ASAP. I have the same problem on both my rear panels. I fixed the one side already. A body shop cut out the rust and welded in new metal and treated it with rust preventer.

Realized driver side was rusted later so I plan on doing that side now. Had the radiator bracket done about 15 years ago and it looks like its happening again in a small spot. I had that part cut out and welded already, hopefully it wont spread.