Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

How do you replace the check engine light bulb?

I took my car in for an inspection and it failed for not having a working check engine light. I had a mechanic tell me that in order to have the bulb replaced he might have to take off the dash board to get behind the panel to replace the bulb at a cost of $200. So if I could do this on my own that would be great.

Have any of you had to change one of those indicator bulbs? If so how do you go about changing one of those bulbs. I also looked through the fuses and there isn't one dedicated to the check engine light. The car used to have problems with the coil packs malfunctioning so I got that fixed so I have a feeling that the previous owner somehow disabled the check engine light to pass inspection. The mechanic that previously did my inspection said that in the past people used to disable the check engine light but since he was not an expert on Maximas he wasn't sure how to replace the bulb.

If you need any other information just let me know. Thanks.
FM 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Points: 8,245, Level: 61 Points: 8,245, Level: 61 Points: 8,245, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You sure its out? Does it come on when you first turn the key?

You can pull the cluster using this write up. Im not sure if you need to do all steps between 1 and 9 but its not hard to do. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/viper791xv/

Bulbs should be on the back somewhere.
Reizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Points: 15,958, Level: 81 Points: 15,958, Level: 81 Points: 15,958, Level: 81

Send a message via AIM to KRRZ350
Once you have the cluster out, the bulbs are really easy to access, twist & remove. They also are labeled on the circuit board, shouldn't be to bad. The bulb might not be there (likely) or blown, or one of the harness' that plugs into the bag of the cluster could have a cut wire (unlikely)
KRRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reizy View Post
You sure its out? Does it come on when you first turn the key?

You can pull the cluster using this write up. Im not sure if you need to do all steps between 1 and 9 but its not hard to do. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/viper791xv/

Bulbs should be on the back somewhere.

I'm not 100% sure whether or not the bulb is burnt out. When I turn the key the check engine light does not come on. The inspection people told me it's supposed to come on when you turn the key like you mentioned and it doesn't light up at all.

Thanks for that write up you posted. Love the pictures and detail it shows. Hopefully I don't accidentally deploy the airbag while going through the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRZ350 View Post
Once you have the cluster out, the bulbs are really easy to access, twist & remove. They also are labeled on the circuit board, shouldn't be to bad. The bulb might not be there (likely) or blown, or one of the harness' that plugs into the bag of the cluster could have a cut wire (unlikely)

Cool.....I'll probably get a replacement bulb from the dealer or from a car parts online store. Thanks for the tip.
FM 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Toolie

Points: 13,650, Level: 75 Points: 13,650, Level: 75 Points: 13,650, Level: 75
Activity: 7.4%
Activity: 7.4% Activity: 7.4% Activity: 7.4%

that bulb is not one of the 6 bulbs that you can gain access to on the back of the cluster. It may not even be a user serviceable bulb. I've had my cluster out 3 or 4 times to do led's and the SES light is on a different circuit. I'm pretty sure it is an led which will require desoldering the old one and soldering in the new one. If you attempt this make sure you keep the correct polarity. You will have to remove the needles on the speedo and the tach to remove the overlay and gain access to it.

6MT | 06HLSD | I/H/E & FC | Stillen FSTB & RSB | Tein SS C/O | Watkins STS | UDP | NWP Spacers | Tuned with EB | ES Bushings

253.50 fwhp
249.75 lb/ft tq
14.3 @ 101mph (street tires, bad wheel bearing and a few spun tranny bearings)
knight_yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_yyz View Post
that bulb is not one of the 6 bulbs that you can gain access to on the back of the cluster. It may not even be a user serviceable bulb. I've had my cluster out 3 or 4 times to do led's and the SES light is on a different circuit. I'm pretty sure it is an led which will require desoldering the old one and soldering in the new one. If you attempt this make sure you keep the correct polarity. You will have to remove the needles on the speedo and the tach to remove the overlay and gain access to it.

same here....and you are right....there are 5 bulbs that can be twisted for the cluster.....#74 bulbs i believe

anyway, there is one for the left signal, right signal, highbeam, and two for the actual gauge lights......THE SES is completely different
Megan Racing exhaust | Tokico Illumina's 4F/5R | H&R Springs | ebay FSTB | | ES Bushings | Goodridge SS Lines | Berk Air Intake | Cleared 2K2 Headlights | 8k D2R & 50W H3 Fogs upgrade | Cleared Sidemarkers | White LED's all around (Interior & Exterior) | Chrome Gauge Rings | 15% Tint (all around) | RTP Zinc plated Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS pads | RPM R-505 19x8.5 wrapped in General Exclaim UHP 245-35-R19 | Optima Yellow Top | Hella Supertones | (2) 12" Alpine Type R's
hi-tek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #7

Points: 5,797, Level: 49 Points: 5,797, Level: 49 Points: 5,797, Level: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tek22 View Post
same here....and you are right....there are 5 bulbs that can be twisted for the cluster.....#74 bulbs i believe

anyway, there is one for the left signal, right signal, highbeam, and two for the actual gauge lights......THE SES is completely different

what year is you max, i got a 03 and you cannot change the lcd, unless you desolder the circuit board.
gotendbz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #8

Points: 13,588, Level: 75 Points: 13,588, Level: 75 Points: 13,588, Level: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_yyz View Post
This is true, but it all depends on the year of the car. The early 2k max's all had bulbs behind the clusters, except for the air bag light which had an LED. It wasn't until late 2k1 and later models, Nissan changed the "dummy" lights to all LED's.
MIXXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #9

i would like to change the color of my .. cluster .. but i dont have the tools anyidea where i can get them plz?
sheabny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:30 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement