5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Belt Squeal Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Belt Squeal Question

So I've noticed that I have what sounds like some accessory belt squeal from my car when I lug it. By this I mean if I take off from a stop in 2nd gear for example or if I prod it from a low rpm in 4th.

It does it the most when the car is cold and it is most obvious when starting off from a stop in 2nd gear (likely because there is no other noise to obstruct it).

Any thoughts on what the cause of this is? Do I simply need to replace my accessory belt? If so, how much of a PITA is it on a 2002 Maxima?

Also got a check engine light last night. Ran the codes and I get 0455. Did some research and found it has something to do with my gasoline evap system. Any hints here before I go replacing parts?

Thanks,

Brett
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 AM

It sounds like when you're increasing the RPMs the belt starts slipping causing it to squeal. But it could be a number of things.

Start with the easiest questions:
Are the belts tight enough?
Do they seem too loose? Too tight?
Are they dry or do you see any fluids on them?
Can you take a video of the noise when it happens?
How old are the belts? Ever been changed?

Regarding your P0455 code I would check out this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...02-maxima.html
Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Can't help you with the codes but as far at the belt goes you could try one size down from what you have before you replace anything. My previous accord had an issue that made me go through 4 belts, many mechanic and stupid stop squeek ish from parts surce trying to stop the noise. I was so desperate that I would use WD-40, so what ever you do, DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. Lol. So I took it to a chinese mechanic and he said it's my compressor, so I disabled the compressor seeing that I didn't have AC in the first place, problem solved

So hope it's one of those two suggestions or the other members can way in. Good luck
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Can't help you with the codes but as far at the belt goes you could try one size down from what you have before you replace anything. My previous accord had an issue that made me go through 4 belts, many mechanic and stupid stop squeek ish from parts surce trying to stop the noise. I was so desperate that I would use WD-40, so what ever you do, DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. Lol. So I took it to a chinese mechanic and he said it's my compressor, so I disabled the compressor seeing that I didn't have AC in the first place, problem solved

So hope it's one of those two suggestions or the other members can way in. Good luck
Don't go one belt size down.

Do what the other posters suggested. You should never have to change belt size unless you are dealing with aftermarket parts like an underdrive pulley.

And I don't know how you got from disabling your compressor to suggesting using a smaller belt.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0L Miata
So I've noticed that I have what sounds like some accessory belt squeal from my car when I lug it. By this I mean if I take off from a stop in 2nd gear for example or if I prod it from a low rpm in 4th.

It does it the most when the car is cold and it is most obvious when starting off from a stop in 2nd gear (likely because there is no other noise to obstruct it).

Any thoughts on what the cause of this is? Do I simply need to replace my accessory belt? If so, how much of a PITA is it on a 2002 Maxima?

Also got a check engine light last night. Ran the codes and I get 0455. Did some research and found it has something to do with my gasoline evap system. Any hints here before I go replacing parts?

Thanks,

Brett
It is not much of a PITA once you learn how to do it.

If you have to replace the power steering belt, take off the serpentine first. The best way to replace the ps belt is to cut off the old one (assuming it is properly tightened) and then put the new one on the crank and part of the PS pulley, then take a ratchet (19mm socket) and turn the crank pulley until the belt works on to the ps pully. That PS belt mechanism is otherwise a real pain in the butt and hard as hell to get to.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here just reading and trying learn... I WILL be back
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Don't go one belt size down.

Do what the other posters suggested. You should never have to change belt size unless you are dealing with aftermarket parts like an underdrive pulley.

And I don't know how you got from disabling your compressor to suggesting using a smaller belt.
I don't think you understand why I was sharing my experiences. The OP didn't say if he upgraded his alternator or pulley which might require him to use a smaller belt, so I suggest "not sure" trying a smaller pulley if his adjusters was at it's limit for tightening. How I suggested the compressor by-pass because no matter how many mechanics I took the car too none of them was able to tell me why my car was squeeling after full tightening and smaller belts "which my not be his case" the reason my car still squeels.

The reason for by-passing the compressor is because the compressor is what was squeeling, not the belt so instead of replacing the compressor even though I had no AC I just by-passed it and saved myself from spending money to replace it, which I did mention in my suggestions. Nobody here can tell exactly why his car is still squeeling so this is why concerned enthusiast make threads, to go through a process of elimination to rule out possible causes.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Re your code, the link andrewmac provided will provide some insight. The EVAP system on many Nissans has been identified as being sensitive to overfill when fuelling- ie don't fill past the point when the fuel nozzle senses pressure and shuts off when you're fuelling. The end result if you do overfill is gas overflows into portions of the system ( the vapour canister if I recall correctly) and the EVAP canister vent control valve gets buggered up. Yours may be fine because 0455 is a gross leak... I think 1448 is the valve specifically, but something you should know about. The leak could be your gas cap, a hose among the many behind your right rear wheel for the EVAP system, or might be the vapour canister itself that's developed a crack. If you manipulate the canister, or try to remove the bolts holding it on be forewarned- fragile and easy to break.
As for your belt squealing, check belt tension and tighten as required. The Power steering tension adjustment is a PITA I seem to recall, and you may need to go at it from underneath ( I blocked the experience out of my mind...haha). The ac/alternator tension is more straightforward, but just make sure you loosen the locknut at the center of the idler pulley first before messing with the tension nut. If you do replace the belts I suggest you give the pulley grooves a good once over with a stiff brush and soap/water or degreaser. Last thing-are your under engine shields in place? I find they reduce the incidence of belt squeal by preventing crap from getting at the pulleys.

Last edited by StevieB; 10-02-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Thanks for all of the responses! A quick update for everyone who is interested, I fixed my code problem by simply taking the fuel cap off and putting it back on three clicks. Seems to have solved the problem...love that!

As for the belt, it seems to be getting worse. This week I noticed that if I rev the car aggressively over say 4,000rpm (overtaking a car for example) I'm getting belt squeal through the rev range. If I apply the clutch or reduce my throttle input the squeal goes away.

I'll have to take some time and inspect the belt area and see if I have a loose or worn belt or tensioner. I'll also check for those shields, although the rest of the car is stock so I would assume they are still there.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM

You may want to check your A/C pulley to see if it's turning. On my 2000, the pulley froze, the belt wound up snapping in two, and some of the belt was melted onto the pulley. If the pulley is not spinning freely, it might cause squealing.

It's my son's car and on the way to baseball practice this am, he said there was smoke coming out from under the hood and some got in the passenger cabin! He's noticed a smell for a week or so, so I suspect the pulley had been failing for the past few weeks and heating up the rubber in the belt. But he only takes 5-15 mile trips, so it took a while to totally freeze up.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Update - my a/c compressor pulley bearing blew up and seized the pulley. I'm in the process of replacing the bearing. The compressor shaft still turned with a little resistance, so it appears to be ok. Will hopefully finish the pulley repair and replace the serpentine belt tonight.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My '00 GLE automatic has a squealing noise only when accelerating quickly in any gear. From a stop or a roll, if I were to go WOT or even just under WOT I get a loud screech or squeel until I let off. Sounds like from a belt. Any ideas? The car has been sitting the past 5 months under a tree in a very humid environment if that adds any clue.

Last edited by AudiSport12; 07-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.