5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 gen 6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM

5.5 gen 6 speed swap

Trust me I have looked. I can't find one or two definitive threads for this swap. I know it is close to a 5speed but I know there are differences as well.

I have a 2003 5.5 auto and now I have a 2002 donor 6 spd. I will be slowly tearing down the 2002 and collecting the appropriate parts but it is very hard to find all the details in one area. If I have missed it can someone point it out. If someone has done it and has a parts list and some tips and tricks that would be very helpful.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Trust me I have looked. I can't find one or two definitive threads for this swap. I know it is close to a 5speed but I know there are differences as well. I have a 2003 5.5 auto and now I have a 2002 donor 6 spd. I will be slowly tearing down the 2002 and collecting the appropriate parts but it is very hard to find all the details in one area. If I have missed it can someone point it out. If someone has done it and has a parts list and some tips and tricks that would be very helpful.
Its all here! Trust me its been covered completly!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 PM

There are people on here that have done it. You could ask them questions as you go through the swap. Start a thread on it.

Last edited by tosheto; 07-01-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Parts list
shifter and boot( i used my auto shifter bezel with manual boot) had to get creative

transmission with all sensors
shifter cables
clutch and brake pedal
manual trans mount and bracket
slave and master cylinder
clutch and pressure plate
flywheel
flywheel bolts(from the dealer)
both cv axles
new ss clutch line
you can run the auto ecu but you will have ses light for trans codes and no cruise control. manual ecu solves all of that.

For the wiring i just made my own harness for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch. Thats all i can remember from the top of my head. Good luck
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM

^starter
Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 AM

Yes I forgot about the starter. Make sure you cut the connector off the auto starter, and solder it onto the manual one.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 AM

Gauge cluster and shifter assembly. Engine wiring harness too, makes it a lot easier, can be a pain to remove from the donor vehicle but worth it. Do not cut it!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM

You do not need the engine harness. You can still use the auto gauge cluster, if you don't mind having the gear indicator still there. I'm still running mine
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM

Ok so the list so far:

transmission with all sensors (got it - 6sp but not HLSD)

shifter cables (got it)

clutch and brake pedal (got it)

manual trans mount and bracket (got it - I believe it bolts in place of AT mount. Is that correct?)

slave and master cylinder (got it)

clutch and pressure plate (will buy a new set - my understanding is that OEM is a good option. No tracking just DD. Thoughts?)

flywheel (I'm not sure of current condition. At minimum I will have resurfaced. Thoughts?)

flywheel bolts(from the dealer) (can't I use the ones on the donor car?)

both cv axles (I thought that only drivers side was needed? I will have both but my car has far less km on it)

new ss clutch line (I'll order that)

you can run the auto ecu but you will have ses light for trans codes and no cruise control. manual ecu solves all of that. (have the MT ECU)

Starter (I have the manual starter. Not sure what you mean yet by cutting off the connector)

Gauge Cluster - Got it

Thoughts/Questions:
When I remove the auto trans it's going to have a bunch of sensors attached to it that aren't relevant to the manual. Can the PNP connector be reused for the manual and how do I plug in a back-up lamp switch harness? Is this solved by swapping the MT harness? What about the sensors at the clutch pedal?

Immobilizer - Let me know if I have this correct. Without putting the MT ECU in the car should run but there will be trans codes. Once I put the MT ECU in I will be able to start it iff I have the MT key taped somewhere near the tumbler. If I go to the dealership however they should be able to either reprogram the MT ECU to my AT keys or swap the chip from the MT key to my AT key.

Any other glaring issues I have missed.

Last edited by ateick; 05-09-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Well after consulting a trans shop it seems that resurfacing a dual mass flywheel is a no-no. I know that some have indicated they have done it but apparently it can commonly lead to unwanted vibration. Another important tidbit for others researching this is that a you need to mate a dual mass flywheel with a friction plate designed to work with dual mass or swap out both the flywheel and friction plate for traditional ones.

Exedy actually produces OEM and their kit (NSK1002) is the replacement for the more expensive OEM.

They don't seem to make flywheels but LUK (DMF095) is another well known manufacturer and they are half the price of OEM.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dnice02
You do not need the engine harness. You can still use the auto gauge cluster, if you don't mind having the gear indicator still there. I'm still running mine
Sure you don't "need" certain parts but there is a right way to do things. If he has a donor vehicle, then there is no reason not to use the manual harness.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Answering a lot of my own questions the more I research. If someone can assist with this one:

5.5 swap with 6spd going in. I am going to put in the manual Engine Control Harness which will allow me to plug in the PNP sensor and reverse sensor. Once the MT ECU is in this should allow me to start in neutral and give me reverse lights.

I'm stumped at the clutch pedal though. I don't think there will be any harness there (because it's the auto Engine Room Harness) for the clutch interlock switch that allows me to start the car once the clutch is fully depressed or the ASCD (cruise control) switch which stops cruise when you push in the clutch. How would I cover come this? What has anyone done who has completed the swap? Does it even need to be addressed and I just will have to put it in neutral all the time to start it or will the ECU freak out because it doesn't sense that switch is either on or off and cruise won't work because it can't sense that switch is on or off either? There is an ASCD switch on the brake pedal as well so maybe that will handle turning off cruise?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM

congrats!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Answering a lot of my own questions the more I research. If someone can assist with this one:

5.5 swap with 6spd going in. I am going to put in the manual Engine Control Harness which will allow me to plug in the PNP sensor and reverse sensor. Once the MT ECU is in this should allow me to start in neutral and give me reverse lights.

I'm stumped at the clutch pedal though. I don't think there will be any harness there (because it's the auto Engine Room Harness) for the clutch interlock switch that allows me to start the car once the clutch is fully depressed or the ASCD (cruise control) switch which stops cruise when you push in the clutch. How would I cover come this? What has anyone done who has completed the swap? Does it even need to be addressed and I just will have to put it in neutral all the time to start it or will the ECU freak out because it doesn't sense that switch is either on or off and cruise won't work because it can't sense that switch is on or off either? There is an ASCD switch on the brake pedal as well so maybe that will handle turning off cruise?
You will need to either use the brake pedal, the cancel switch on the cruise control panel, or wire the clutch sensors individually to have the cruise control disengage when used.

As for starting the car, I'm not sure whether the ECU will assume that the clutch button is depressed or released. If it assumes that it's depressed, then you would be able to start the car with or without depressing the clutch. If it believes that it's released then the car will fail to trigger the starter at all unless you bypass it. There should be bypass information in the electronics section here, just look up something along the lines of "remote start manual transmission" or the like. You should be able to find what you're looking for.

Side note, looks like the swap is really coming along. My 02 was swapped from auto to 6-Speed as well. Love the 6-Speed a lot. I'm also glad you're covering all your bases from the get go. It makes the actual labor much more streamlined. Good work.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Dumb question, but will a CVT tranny work?

Gotta love those cvt trannys.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Dumb question, but will a CVT tranny work?

Gotta love those cvt trannys.
Highly extensive work involved in that.

I, personally, have little love for the CVT. Better than most autos? Yea probably. But nothing beats a true manual for a car enthusiast in my opinion. Gotta love having full control over the behavior of the car and the ability to access whatever part of the rev range and powerband is available with a simple gear change instead of waiting for a computer to react and decide gear changes for you.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
You will need to either use the brake pedal, the cancel switch on the cruise control panel, or wire the clutch sensors individually to have the cruise control disengage when used.
The brake pedal is good with me because that's how you do it if you have an auto anyway. I'm just worried the MT ECU is going to be looking for a signal from that clutch switch as well and won't find any. I guess I'll find out once everything is done.

Originally Posted by dfj240
As for starting the car, I'm not sure whether the ECU will assume that the clutch button is depressed or released. If it assumes that it's depressed, then you would be able to start the car with or without depressing the clutch. If it believes that it's released then the car will fail to trigger the starter at all unless you bypass it. There should be bypass information in the electronics section here, just look up something along the lines of "remote start manual transmission" or the like. You should be able to find what you're looking for.

Side note, looks like the swap is really coming along. My 02 was swapped from auto to 6-Speed as well. Love the 6-Speed a lot. I'm also glad you're covering all your bases from the get go. It makes the actual labor much more streamlined. Good work.
Thanks for the info and the support. I'm really looking forward to it and having a donor car to take apart is invaluable because you get an understanding of where everything should be once you transfer to your good car. I'll look up the starter bypass. I'm hoping it's not necessary or there is some other work around to keep it safe and as close to stock as possible for anyone else that may drive the car (wifey, etc.)
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 PM

I see false info in this thread...
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick4189
Me too
Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM

me too.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM

But what would I know... I've not done this swap 2
Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick4189
Sharing is caring gentlemen...
Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM

What happened?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Donor car ripped apart completely interior/exterior. Just axles and trans to drop then they can haul the carcass away.

Got the help I need with wiring so set to do the swap later this summer.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Sure you got all the parts you need?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Pretty sure. Revised list (let me know if I missed anything)

- transmission with all sensors.
- starter and cabling
- manual trans mount and bracket
- ABS bracket
- manual ECU
- manual engine harness
- shifter cables
- shifter and base
- clutch pedal
- brake pedal
- slave and master cylinder
- manual drivers side axle

I'll be ordering:
- clutch kit and flywheel
- SS one piece clutch line
- shifter cable bushings
- STS mod done by knight
- antifoulers (I removed and gutted the precats )

***Question: Does anyone know for a fact that the AT pass side axle is the same as the MT pass side axle? Mine wouldn't come off the donor and finally I had to cut the shaft to remove if from the trans. They're different part numbers but I thought I read that they are the same.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 PM

I'm sure they are different. When I was gathering parts from work for my 6speed swap on my I35 both sides were different part numbers from the auto

Btw what's left body wise from the donor car
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM

The half shaft is different. Part that goes from trans and bolts to carrier. Outer is same length but it comes as a all in one anyway
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old list.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...care-only.html
Old 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by aackshun
Old 05-24-2014, 07:46 PM

One thing I've seen that nobody has mentioned is yyou will need to at least try and get the metal piece thats underneath the shifter on the 6mt. Either that OR repurpose the rubber one underneath the auto shifter. You will also need some bolts to ease the pain in trying to figure out how to mount the rear of the 6t shifter to the auto car. Also in order for the car to actually start once the swap is complete grab AS MUCH of the clutch harness from the interior of the donor car as you can so you can directly patch it into the harness inside the auto. Or A: the car wont start and B: no cruise control. You will also need the immobilizer from the donor car amd one key CUT and tape the chip portion of the key to the immobilizer.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Oh and YES just grab the entire passenger side axle.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:53 PM

holy sh8t OP is in for a lot of work
Old 05-25-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brudface
One thing I've seen that nobody has mentioned is yyou will need to at least try and get the metal piece thats underneath the shifter on the 6mt. Either that OR repurpose the rubber one underneath the auto shifter. You will also need some bolts to ease the pain in trying to figure out how to mount the rear of the 6t shifter to the auto car. Also in order for the car to actually start once the swap is complete grab AS MUCH of the clutch harness from the interior of the donor car as you can so you can directly patch it into the harness inside the auto. Or A: the car wont start and B: no cruise control. You will also need the immobilizer from the donor car amd one key CUT and tape the chip portion of the key to the immobilizer.
Hmm. Interesting. So the manual shifter doesn't mount the same way as the auto. I hadn't seen that one described before. That sucks cause the donor is now crushed into a little cube. Oh well I'll have to figure something out. I'm all good with the clutch pedal

I think I'll pay to have the manual ECU coded to my auto key that way everything works seemlessly - ignition/doors.

Thanks for the tips

Last edited by ateick; 05-25-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Its not that it mounts in a different way. The front mounts fine IF you take off the rubber mount bushings. The rear is a pain in the *** and has to be either tapped into with a self taper. What I was thinking of doing is using high strength epoxy to hold the auto rubber one down. No it has never been described before. I dont know why either but meh.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 AM

Where abouts are you in Ontario?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:54 AM

^^^ I've done this swap more then once. What your talking about is a minor issue that took me all of 15 seconds to solve. You don't need the spacers on the front. Take the protective hood and slide it on. Add some flat washers and bolt it down. My car had over 60k on ors swap and never had a issue with the shifter or the clutch
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys. Seems simple enough to overcome once I'm faced with it.

I've got the flywheel being resurfaced and a clutch kit on order. Hopefully after I get through some work stuff for the next 2-3 weeks I'll be able to get started. Just want to make sure I have everything covered before then.

Quick Reply: 5.5 gen 6 speed swap