5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

JDM 350 (Fairlady) Z steering wheel thoughts? (..airbag.. >_<)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM

JDM 350 (Fairlady) Z steering wheel thoughts? (..airbag.. >_<)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTk4WDU5OA...xUnP26/$_3.JPG

Guys.

Looook what I found.

Any thoughts on the types of SRS connectors/inputs on the back of a steering wheel from different Nissan vehicles of this Time period?

What about 6th gen and (oh lord please!) 7th gen maxi steering wheels!!? They are excellenttt. I can find them with the airbag intact. Do you think ill be able to find helpful info in the FSMs for the three generations regarding what "SRS control module" they use?
or would this not be relevant to what the airbag connections on the back of the steering wheel look like?

Agh I wish somebody could chime in on compatibility between generations styles of airbag.. connectors? Whatever the plugin behind the airbag with the little plastic retainer is called.

All I can find is an old thread where a guy put a JDM 350z steering wheel in his 6th gen, and I think he plugged in his one connector from the car to an opening on the wheel, and used a resistor on a second opening that was on the back of his new wheel.

He had no SRS light, but I have no clue if his airbag was still operational.

Last edited by 5.5SE6MT; 01-20-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Why? Why would you want this?

Last edited by Joeker82; 01-19-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
Why? Why would you want this?

Thank you very much for your useful respond brotha.
In response to your question, I'd like a 3 spoked steering wheel. the position i sometimes rest my hands in while cruising, around 5 o clock and 7 o clock, is righttt where the gay little bottom arms are on my 4-spoked '02 steering wheel.

Just looking for a Change. Itd be nice if the wheel came from the Nissan family though. And I'd realllly like to keep a functional airbag, hence why I didn't just immediately go to the aftermarket.

I know a hub from Sparco for a 350z fits a Maxima, just curious if any on knows anything about the airbag.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5.5SE6MT
Just looking for a Change. Itd be nice if the wheel came from the Nissan family though. And I'd realllly like to keep a functional airbag, hence why I didn't just immediately go to the aftermarket. .
Imagine all the cracked bones, brain matter, blood and other damage if you hit that steering wheel without working airbags... ><

But it has no auto cruise, volume control or anything on the wheel!??!?!?! You won't miss those functions and features?

Last edited by george__; 01-19-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 5.5SE6MT
Thank you very much for your useful respond brotha.
In response to your question, I'd like a 3 spoked steering wheel. the position i sometimes rest my hands in while cruising, around 5 o clock and 7 o clock, is righttt where the gay little bottom arms are on my 4-spoked '02 steering wheel.

Just looking for a Change. Itd be nice if the wheel came from the Nissan family though. And I'd realllly like to keep a functional airbag, hence why I didn't just immediately go to the aftermarket.

I know a hub from Sparco for a 350z fits a Maxima, just curious if any on knows anything about the airbag.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Good luck, hope it works out for ya!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Imagine all the cracked bones, brain matter, blood and other damage if you hit that steering wheel without working airbags... ><

But it has no auto cruise, volume control or anything on the wheel!??!?!?! You won't miss those functions and features?
George. The whole point of this damn thread and the cause of a lot of aggravation to my brain for like the last week, is because I need a 3 spoked wheel WITHOUT sacrificing my airbag!

no, the fdggot that owned my max before me had improperly installed an aftermarket headunit. He snipped the connection behind the head unit that fed those steering wheel controls, as well as my "miles till empty" and fuel economy display.

I've installed the proper adaptor for a Bose system, but have no idea where id find a new plug to replace my snipped off one that i just described. Maybe i should check junkyards lol

Sooo, no. Ill relocate my cruise controls, but wont miss those other features, that ive never had. Haha
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM

^
Wow the ex-owner butchered the car . Fix it ASAP

Last edited by george__; 01-19-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM

I say nay
Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 AM

I wouldn't take the risk. Your life is more valuable than that steering wheel
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 AM

So you want the steering wheel, not because you want it for performance or track use...

But because you like to keep your hands on the wrong part of the wheel while driving?

I digress, and I agree with above ^^ nay to the wheel.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would be good if you can get the airbag to work, the 5th gen steering wheel is massive!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
So you want the steering wheel, not because you want it for performance or track use...

But because you like to keep your hands on the wrong part of the wheel while driving?

I digress, and I agree with above ^^ nay to the wheel.

No no. The inconvenience of the 4 spoked design is chief amongst my concerns, but the potential for more precise steering input (performance use) is the other Main reason behind my desire to switch wheels!

At 365 mm, the Z wheel is slightly bigger than a maxima wheel though!
I belieeeeve that I'd actually prefer a slightly smaller wheel? Not sure how the steering input varies based on smalll diameter changes.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Maxima isn't sports car though
Old 01-20-2015, 11:50 AM

3 spoke wheels are nice and all...but thats a bulky center spoke. To all the individuals talking about safety without airbags and what not...there are plenty ppl driving with removable jdm wheels without airbags. Its a choice you make.. Lest not forget all our 240sx crowd with bagless wheels. Lest not forget our defective airbag recall on the Maxima as well.

Id say do it; but find another 3 spoke wheel; as you cant be 100% certain the airbags going to deploy wired up incorrectly anyhow.

In addition; if wiring up all the cruise/volume bs is important to you...consider the altima se-r 3 spoke wheel as well.the weight of the cars is about the same as well...

Lastly; if you decide to do nothing at all and leave things alone with the bulky 5th gen wheel which i hate as well....fixing your trip meter/dte functionality with after market stereo is not hard. Look around or pm me.

Last edited by a33_ridah; 01-20-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
3 spoke wheels are nice and all...but thats a bulky center spoke. To all the individuals talking about safety without airbags and what not...there are plenty ppl driving with removable jdm wheels without airbags. Its a choice you make.. Lest not forget all our 240sx crowd with bagless wheels. Lest not forget our defective airbag recall on the Maxima as well.

Id say do it; but find another 3 spoke wheel; as you cant be 100% certain the airbags going to deploy wired up incorrectly anyhow.

In addition; if wiring up all the cruise/volume bs is important to you...consider the altima se-r 3 spoke wheel as well.the weight of the cars is about the same as well...

Lastly; if you decide to do nothing at all and leave things alone with the bulky 5th gen wheel which i hate as well....fixing your trip meter/dte functionality with after market stereo is not hard. Look around or pm me.

Heyyyy. Im a dumbass. What about 6th gen and (oh lord please!) 7th gen steering wheels!!? They are excellenttt. I can find them with the airbag intact. Do you think ill be able to find helpful info in the FSMs for the three generations? Agh I wish somebody could chime in on compatibility between generations styles of airbag.. connectors? Whatever the plugin behind the airbag with the little plastic retainer is called.

Would finding out if the "SRS control module" is the same between generations help me at all? Or would that not be relevant to what the connectors behind the steering wheel are..
Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am the guy on the 6th gen forum that replaced the steering wheel with the JDM unit. I recently swapped back to my original steering wheel because it does throw a check engine light and I needed the check engine light off in order to pass smog. It is an awesome steering wheel if you don't mind not having cruise control or radio controls