5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need tuning/electric help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need tuning/electric help

I have a 2001 AE and I recently did some performance upgrades. I am now running a 4" intake, 560cc injectors, port/gutted lower intake, gutted upper intake, Megan racing test pipe, and Apex SAFC2 tuner. After installing the injectors and intake the car ran great for about three days. After three days it started missing. I replaced all coils with oem and new spark plugs. Still missing, I went thro and checked and found that the back left coil (cylinder 1) is not firing. The connector had a exposed wire so I replaced it, car is still missing. I did another test to see if it was a coil, I removed the fuel pump fuse and then removed a coil while still plugged up and put a new spark plug in the end then tried to start it. The spark plug did not fire. I still have no spark to cylinder 1 and miss. If anyone knows anything that would work or help please let me know.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM

Time to get out the trusty old voltmeter and do some wiring checks.

1) turn on the ignition to ON but don't start the engine. Unplug the wire harness connector from the ignition coil and check to see if you have 12 volts on the red wire in the connector. If yes, turn off the ignition switch and continue checking.

2) Set meter to ohms and check the black wire in the wire harness connector for continuity to ground. If continuity is good, continue checking.

3) Check the yellow with red stripe wire for continuity to pin # 21 of the ECU. If continuity is good, we now have to figure out if the ECU is sending the signal to make the ignition coil fire.

Very few people have the tools to see if the ECU is sending the signal. Do the 3 things above and see if you can something that is wrong.