5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help please

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 2001 maxima from Craig's list and I've had a few issues in my first few days.

I bought the car, drove it home, no problem. Next morning, car would turn over then shut down. I had to rev it up to keep it running. I replaced the IACV at the recommendation of my mechanic, and it ran OK all day yesterday. Now the same problem today...

What could it possibly be?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by nbstriker10
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 2001 maxima from Craig's list and I've had a few issues in my first few days.

I bought the car, drove it home, no problem. Next morning, car would turn over then shut down. I had to rev it up to keep it running. I replaced the IACV at the recommendation of my mechanic, and it ran OK all day yesterday. Now the same problem today...

What could it possibly be?
iacv can short your ecm, damaged ecm can re-damage new iacv.

did you install OEM iacv? or aftermarket? aftermarket are also known to be problematic
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cornholio
iacv can short your ecm, damaged ecm can re-damage new iacv.

did you install OEM iacv? or aftermarket? aftermarket are also known to be problematic
It's from auto zone.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM

i'd suggest pulling the ecm and checking for damage

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html

if you can get it out look at it, the damage should be easy to see. you may even be able to smell if it you put your head close enough to where the ecu is. if you just purchased the vehicle it's possible the owner knew about this but was trying to pass the problem off to someone else. if it is damaged i'd try to get it repaired and replace the iacv at the same time to make sure neither damages the other.

do you have any check engine light and if so have you been able to read the codes?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM

whenever you replace the IACV you should disconnect the battery to erase the ECM learned set of the IACV, so when you put on the new IACV then reconnect the battery so that the ECM would have to relearn and the new IACV parameter will set once the ECM will relearn everything and set it according the the spec.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
i'd suggest pulling the ecm and checking for damage

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html

if you can get it out look at it, the damage should be easy to see. you may even be able to smell if it you put your head close enough to where the ecu is. if you just purchased the vehicle it's possible the owner knew about this but was trying to pass the problem off to someone else. if it is damaged i'd try to get it repaired and replace the iacv at the same time to make sure neither damages the other.

do you have any check engine light and if so have you been able to read the codes?
+1!
Read this note https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...1fNlF5QjQ/view - it will help you understand all the issues involved.