5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Jacking Points?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by jackman
That's fine IF you also have a quality US made floor jack on the side you're working under.
HF ftw lol
Old 11-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
So dual sissor jacks as stands instead of the typical jack stand design to fit within the "ridge"?
I hope you're kidding. That would be dangerous.

The "ridge" is not that important. I have two pairs of jackstands. One set like the black ones pictured in this thread and one set like the red ones pictured. I've used them both on the ridge more times than I can count on both my Maximas and plenty of other cars including SUVs.

About scissor jacks. Scissor jacks should be the last choice to lift or hold a car unless you're changing a tire on the side of the road. They're slow, unstable and using them over and over will wear them out causing them to be more unstable.

Anyone working on a car should invest in a floor jack and at least one set of jackstands. Having two sets is a lot better. Even a cheap floor jack from HFT will be far better than a scissor jack. I see jackstands at the flea market for cheap all the time.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
So dual sissor jacks as stands instead of the typical jack stand design to fit within the "ridge"?
If you are going to be working under a car, you do not use a jack of any kind, least of all a scissor jack, to support it. A jack is for lifting, a jack stand is for support.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM

I had my car at an exhaust shop a couple of months ago and they used the spot circled in red for their support points. I'm guessing they chose those because my rockers are pretty rusted out.

Just curious if that's a safe spot to use at home as well for support? Maybe that's a stupid question since it worked for the shop, idk.

Jack stands would probably scratch up that rubberized coating but a few pieces of old carpet or something would probably stop that from happening.
Attached Thumbnails Jacking Points?-jack-points-under-car.jpg