5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Well maxiiiboy? Speedo quit working, 2001 Maxima, Doesn't Have Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:55 PM

Well maxiiiboy? Speedo quit working, 2001 Maxima, Doesn't Have Speed Sensor

So a few days ago, made my first post here looking for info. 2001 max, speedo not working, code P0500.

Asking cause there WAS some confusion over if this car had a speed sensor in the tranny or used the ABS sensor. Well maxiboy berated me basically saying of course dumbass just replace it. Well it don't, so thanks a lot for that.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 PM

The only problem I have with your post is that you are dead wrong. The 2001 Maxima does have a VSS in the transmission.

The source of this information is the Nissan Factory Service Manual (FSM), page EC-425, link provided.
link - http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...Maxima/2001/EC

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I would suggest that you find another source that doesn't have their head of their azz.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The only problem I have with your post is that you are dead wrong. The 2001 Maxima does have a VSS in the transmission.

The source of this information is the Nissan Factory Service Manual (FSM), page EC-425, link provided.
link - http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...Maxima/2001/EC

Ohh yeah, where?

Here? The one on the far right?

Last edited by Korben; 11-23-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 PM

The one that's supposed to be right where this plug is?

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I would suggest that you find another source that doesn't have their head of their azz.

My car has it's head up it's azz? Took this pic of the car today looking down at the back corner of the tranny where this VSS should be.

Last edited by Korben; 11-23-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:55 PM

This 5/01 car is in this regard an 02, FSM for 02 page 442. http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...Maxima/2002/EC

I have some used ABS sensors from my spare front knuckles, think I'll toss the left one in tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Korben; 11-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 AM

So you have a 2002 maxima....not a 2001.

Simple misunderstanding. Big inhale, big exhale.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by 2damax

Some 2001s are wired like 02s. How this works with the ECU...
Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Are you serious or the simple one who's misunderstanding?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Korben
Are you serious or the simple one who's misunderstanding?
Idk but I think we should argue about it!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:01 AM

Idk but I think we should argue about it!
Absolutely...
Old 11-25-2016, 01:04 AM

But more to the point, I didn't get around to changing the sensor today, probably tomorrow. However I'm a bit concerned, if the ABS sensor was bad you'd think I'd have ABS problems, I don't. I haven't tried to lock the brakes or anything but there's no ABS light on, they aren't acting up, etc.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Well ****, swapping the front driver ABS sensor did nothing.

Anyone here actually have anything useful to say?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Korben
Well ****, swapping the front driver ABS sensor did nothing.

Anyone here actually have anything useful to say?
How's Leeloo doing?

Did you try the gauge test to make sure the speedo works?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Did you try the gauge test to make sure the speedo works?
What gauge test?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:36 PM

Well it's clear now that I'm going to have to dig into this further, fun.

So the speedometer, odometer, and cruise aren't working, all else is still fine. This and the above cross my fingers fixes not working tells me either the combination meter speedo/gauge has an issue or there's an electrical fault between the ABS control unit and the combination meter. Best guess would be the later, given that the speedo functions are the only part of the combination meter not working.

I'm not looking forward to digging into it looking for a problem in either one of these. Nor do I have much in the way of electrical diagnostic tools just a basic ODB reader and a DVOM. Is there anything that is common? What is this gauge test, I can't think of any easy way to test the combination meter?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 PM

The FSM on this site which is BTW so far the best I've found shows error when clicking the bookmark to the super multiple junction, anyone have better info on this?

Edit found some SMJ info https://manuals.co/workshop/nissan/m...001-(10)/660/2

https://manuals.co/workshop/nissan/m...001-(10)/660/1

Except that those are 2001 and apparently I need 2002
https://manuals.co/workshop/nissan/m...002-(10)/660/5

Last edited by Korben; 11-27-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:06 AM

I haven't found anything useful on the cruise control yet, is cruise a function within the ECM or a separate unit? I'm just considering that if it's a separate unit, it not working may be an indicator of where the fault is.

Similar with the odometer, and trip meter, they're just a readout from the ECM correct? Or are trip meter functions in the combination meter? Trip and odometer still read out but do not change. Can any info be gained from that? Likely I would think this to indicate that the combination meter is fine, it just lacks a speed signal thus isn't sending a speed signal to the ECM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:49 AM

Well cruise is a 01/02 change as well, but looks like mine is 02 style, vacuum and a separate control unit. While 02 is electric and controlled by the ECM. Both versions get the speed signal from the speedo, just from different pins. How this meshes with mine not having a VSS and using the ABS instead I'm not sure yet.

However it doesn't seem to mater, working theory is still no input to speedo = no output from speedo.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:44 PM

1995 through 2001 engines used wire to control the throttle. These cars had a separate control module for the speed control and a vacuum diaphragm to operate the throttle. The speed signal comes from the transmission.

2002 and later use an electrically controlled throttle. These cars have the cruise control built into the ECU and the ECU operates the throttle . The speed signal comes from the ABS unit.

Both these systems work similarly in that a speed signal is sent to the speedometer and the speedometer relays the speed signal to whatever controls the cruise control. No speed signal, no cruise control.

Since your transmission doesn't have a VSS, then look at your throttle and see if it is electricall operated. Going on the assumption that your car is the 2002 style, then run the self diagnostic on the ABS unit and see if it returns any errors.

Last edited by DennisMik; 11-27-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:02 AM

Since your transmission doesn't have a VSS, then look at your throttle and see if it is electricall operated. Going on the assumption that your car is the 2002 style, then run the self diagnostic on the ABS unit and see if it returns any errors.
I looked last night before the last post. The cruise is vacuum not electric, but I have no VSS, so bit of both worlds. Presumably cause vacuum I still have an ASCD unit.

The only variation that appears to matter in this regard is that the ECU version and ASCD version use different pins on the Combination Meter to get there speed signal from.

I'm not a big stock modern tech guy, what's an ABS self diagnostic, how do I do that? I had simply been assuming that had there been any errors an ABS light would be flashing at me.

It's going to be a while till I can find the time to really dig into the car, I can't have it down for long. Trying to learn as much as possible before I do, given that at the moment it's just an instrumentation issue.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 PM

A self diagnostic is a test that is built into the unit. There are several self diagnostics for various parts of the car.

For the ABS, the procedure is in the BR (Brakes) section. It is best to use the second edition of the 2000 FSM because it has a more complete listing of error codes.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2000.5/BR.pdf

The procedure starts on page 49 of the manual and the interpretation of the blink codes starts on page 63.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 PM

A self diagnostic is a test that is built into the unit. There are several self diagnostics for various parts of the car.

For the ABS, the procedure is in the BR (Brakes) section. It is best to use the second edition of the 2000 FSM because it has a more complete listing of error codes.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2000.5/BR.pdf

The procedure starts on page 49 of the manual and the interpretation of the blink codes starts on page 63.
Appreciated, ahhh works just like old OBD-I stuff, I'll do that when I get a chance. No reason to expect anything but just might be helpful.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 AM

So check this out, yesterday morning I did the gauge test that Child uv Korn suggested. Then some time later, after some time driving, the gauge started working again.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Speedo quit working again, and the ABS has no codes.

Only consistent code is still P0500.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 PM

How about tightening the screws on the back of the cluster? Does this apply to 5th gens? I'm not sure. I know that's for 4th gen.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 AM

I think your speedometer is defective and it's not sending the speed signal from the ABS on to the cruise. This could of course also be the wiring between the ABS and the speedo, or something related.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jackman
I think your speedometer is defective and it's not sending the speed signal from the ABS on to the cruise. This could of course also be the wiring between the ABS and the speedo, or something related.

I had this problem earlier this year replaced both sensors and it actually turned out to be gauge cluster. Replaced and never had a problem.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jackman
Tested the speedo.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax
How about tightening the screws on the back of the cluster? Does this apply to 5th gens? I'm not sure. I know that's for 4th gen.
I have no idea on this, I haven't taken the dash apart at all yet.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:19 AM

So it started working again tonight, I'm thinking it might be temperature related. It's started working again twice and both times were on long night drives where the defrost was on high. This tends to heat the dash and area behind it.

So looking more towards taking the dash apart to check and tighten.