6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Instrument Cluster Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Instrument Cluster Issues

Hey guys,

I have an 06 3.5SE. I have a few problems with my instrument cluster.

One isn't as big of a deal, but the fuel needle goes up and down as I'm turning the car right or left. It returns to the actual amount of fuel that I have, but is there a fix?

The second, more major issue is that the speedometer doesn't work. I use an app on my phone to tell me my speed. I have done speeds from 5mph to 115mph just to see if it works. It doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Advanced Auto Parts told me I have a bad speed sensor, O2 sensor, and camshaft sensor. I got the speed sensor replaced, took it for a test drive, and it didn't work. I do have lights on on the dash - check engine, TCS off (even though it's not ~ know this cause of snow driving), slip, brake (hand break isn't on, but it still shows anyways), and ABS. I feel like this issue is all because of the O2 sensor, but I fear it may be electrical. I'll post some photos of my dash in a couple hours.

Any ideas on how to fix any of these issues?

Thanks - and my car is completely stock.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Check in the 5th gen forums for the dash lights issue. I had the same symptoms, and I think it came don to a faulty pre-cat due to a bad coil that was letting unburned fuel into the exhaust system.