7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 AM

I'd like to add some comments.

One thing I've liked about the Maxima (always) is it's always has presence without getting tiring to look at, even if you see a million on the road. A factory condition 93 Maxima will still turn heads, 15 years later.

Externally, I like the shape, it really has the vibe of a much more expensive car, like an M45 or such. The nose isn't bad, but it screams Scion Tc, I've been trying to put my finger on that all morning, that fact alone isn't all that appealing.

Internally, I have 2 concerns. The Radio/AC area just under the nav screen looks extremely cheap. Cheap plastic *****, cheap backing panel. I also HATE a center console that doesn't flow from the dashboard to the shifter area. That little nook under the radio controls, I like to call that the dust collector. Even the shifter area looks cheap considering everything around it. One thing I love to death is the interior grip handles on the door. Those were in the original Maxima, IIRC and they're in my G20, as well.

One last thing. Someone has to tell them that a sports car needs to have an available manual gearbox, if not a more sporty transmission. Don't compare a paddle shifter connected to a CVT transmission to a Ferrari's paddle shifter. The only Nissan that can boast such claims is the GTR, which has a true Dual clutch system. Connecting a paddle shifter to a CVT is just...wrong. It's about as effective as shifting an Automatic Gear shifter on a car that was produced before paddle shifters became all the rage. All it's going to do is kill your fuel economy.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Im a fifth gen owner. I like what I see so far with a few issues.

1) I have a 5spd. While there is all kinds of "you havent driven it yet" and "its better at upper speed shifts" are just excuses to protect a platform that isnt quite mature enough to meet the total package. I think someone described it best, sportY You will not convince manual transmission owners that a CVT is something they want. I am not one of the people that would purchase the car on the 4DSC sticker.

But I seem to recall when I bought my 2k1, less than 5% were manuals anyway. *shrug* So the trend for manuals was starting back then. Its a shame, I like my 5spd.

2) Reliablity. I will be watching this very closely. With the fiasco's seen on the board with Nissan turning a blind eye to the 3.5 oil burning issues, I am not so sure I would want to jump into a "revised" engine without seeing some real world miles put on it.

Styling is nice, but I agree with some comments stated above. Looks like a cross between a couple different cars. Dont get to carried away with this as you lose your identity. I think the curren accord looks like a cross between the older solara and a saturn...not good card to get cues from.

I will be due for a new car late 09 early 10. Its on the list, but will be looking for real world feedback to decide whether to keep it there.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can only comment on the styling since the specs are not out yet. This is the best looking Maxima to date but it is not a compliment by any means as the others are just that ugly, the 6th gen in particular. The interior looks great. Like others, I don't know where the Maxima stands with the Altima having already taken over the 4DSC concept, seems a little redundant to me. I'm very interested in the diesel though.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by Colonel
I think the current accord looks like a cross between the older solara and a saturn...not good card to get cues from..

its fcking hideous.

honda went in a horrible direction style-wise.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Keep up the good work Nissan!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM
brotherhood of tq

I will say it again,

This is the best looking maxima to date. The lines, its height, width and length are right on in this vehicle. Nissan is going to have a homerun on its hands. I loved the interior and I feel that many people who see it in person would enjoy what they see. At the car show on Sat there was a bigger crowd around the new maxima then the gt-r ( which people kept on calling the turbo 350z).

only neg to me are the FWD. the tranny thing is up to debate since no one has driven it yet. I drive many auto cars working for MBUSA and i can tell you that with power and a good tranny you quickly forget about wanting a manual.

that said I wish we built every car with a manual option.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Red face Auto Vs Manual

autostick in a 6th gen max sucks, i have a mk2 vr6 (golf) and a r32 which dance circles around the max... i love the control and response that u get from a manual... i guess it's just truly a matter of pref... but the more power u have can only truly be enjoyed by manual tranny. The auto stick in a MB / Dodge / Chrs acts like a manual tranny way better then a Max does. The max still changes gear when in auto stick mode... 6th gen manual max 05' are a must have. 06-08 lost some horses and torque in making the car feel a slight slugest compare to a 03-05. oh just if were wondering i own a 03 production Max in a 6th gen body with the elite package.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I need a truck

Just went to the car show today ... I want one ... I must bring my wife over to the dark side and let me get this car.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:07 PM

it's aight, it may have to grow on me, but if nissan wants to know what i think, i think as long as it out do the accord then it's cool with me, though i wish the were like a nismo model, to compete in class with TL-S
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM

yeah im going to 100% agree on the 5th gen look, but the competion and the market kinda force the issue of a bigger, more futuristic car so while yeah 5th gen body with TONS of upgrade you have to think is that really going to sell VS competitors???......... 290hp, wonder who will do the first swap lol...

Last edited by DanNY; 03-24-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: removed quote - language
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM

Looks more like the M35/M45 to me. Maybe if the front sloped downward tad bit more and had more flare on the rear fenders. It doesn't do what the G does for me.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Think Nissan want most of you that Mod to get that Altima, really i like the new altima more than this one........ still doesn't compare to the G
Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
290hp, wonder who will do the first swap lol...
I guess if you mate it to a manual transmission. No one's going to take on the CVT.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned

it looks a little bigger...hp of 290 is a bit conservative isnt it? It probably performs no better than the new C350 and costs only about $5,000 less. I like the looks of it but I was hoping for a RWD car with over 325hp for my next $35,000-$40,000
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

FWD is not an issue for me. This is the winter car. My MR2 handles the sport RWD action in the summer. But I need a SAFE and RELIABLE car that has some fun capabilities.

CVT = money to repair. And nobody knows how long they will last. I know what a clutch will cost. And I can do it myself. Of course, these things are not desirable by a company wanting to get service work.

I am not going to mod the car like I mod my MR2, but I hope a harder look is given to the manual for the die hards. Heck, if I wanted power I would get a G8 for under 30K. I would hope Nissan would see that, and give us the "simple" pleasures. I dont buy the big three because no manual transmissions mated to good engines.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 PM

Two things that I really dislike right off the bat. No 6-speed manual and only 290hp. Truthfully I was expecting at least 300hp. I know, I know, it's only 10hp short, it's a psychological thing more than anything else, but it still should have had at least 300hp! Something more to set it apart from it's competition, which I now see as the Accord V6. 290hp is only 22hp more than the Accord V6 has. The scary thing is with the stupid CVT transmission the Maxima may not even be any faster to 60 than the Accord V6.

The interior is typical of Nissan for the last 4 years or so, cheap looking. I mean look at that shot of the backseat and notice how the center console plastics don't even seem to match in color. The fake carbon fiber on the dash is pretty bad too, and the fake carbon fiber door handles? Lol, who are they building this car for again? Maybe a middle aged Dad trying to look cool to his teenage son?

As far as the looks go? Yawn. It's as if the designers copied off a BMW 7 series for the trunk lid, Dodge Charger for the grill, and a Volvo S-80 for the headlights. The side looks good though, and I like the wheels. I HATE the bigass sunroof. More moving parts to break up there.

I found it very interesting that Nissan was boasting about their third generation Maximas. They and most Maxima owner's know that this is when Nissan got the Maxima just right. The styling seemed ahead of it's time and completely original. I remember when the third gens had just come out. People would stop and stare at them as they drove by. I used to have people stop and ask me about mine wherever I went. To this day I've never met one person who didn't like the styling on that car.

Back then it was such an easy decision to buy a Maxima. It's main competition were cars like the Accord and Subaru Legacy. The Accord didn't even have a V6, the Legacy was homely looking and woefully underpowered, and the Maxima was selling for the same price as the Accord. Then the 92 Maxima's came out with 190hp coupled with 5-speed manuals. Those truly were 4-door sports cars for their time, especially when the competition was so weak. When I went car shopping I knew I wanted that Maxima! The only car in it's price range back then that could even keep up with it was a Ford Taurus SHO. It easily wiped the floor with the Accords and Subarus of it's day. It deserved that "4DSC" sticker and then some.

Flash forward to the 2009 Maxima. What really sets this car apart from it's competition anymore? Certainly not the styling. Definitely not the performance. Even without knowing the performance figures on this car I know it will be slower than a Legacy GT (with real manual tranny) and probably not much, if any faster than a plain 'ole Accord. There's no manual transmission, no AWD option, and it's even more expensive than the Accord V6 now.

Sadly, the once fun and unique Maxima has become an also ran. It's stiffest competition will be from the Altima once again. The Altima is the Maxima now imo. I don't know who they're building these new "Maximas" for anymore, but it certainly isn't for 3rd gen loving Maxima drivers such as myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

I hope the resolved the piece of **** CD player I can no longer use for this model!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I hope the resolved the piece of **** CD player I can no longer use for this model!
So far, so good on the 6.5G CD... should be hope for the 7G as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM

God I hate being broke I so want to ditch the 5th gen for this.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
2003SE

Originally Posted by kbohip
Two things that I really dislike right off the bat. No 6-speed manual and only 290hp. Truthfully I was expecting at least 300hp. I know, I know, it's only 10hp short, it's a psychological thing more than anything else, but it still should have had at least 300hp! Something more to set it apart from it's competition, which I now see as the Accord V6. 290hp is only 22hp more than the Accord V6 has. The scary thing is with the stupid CVT transmission the Maxima may not even be any faster to 60 than the Accord V6.

The interior is typical of Nissan for the last 4 years or so, cheap looking. I mean look at that shot of the backseat and notice how the center console plastics don't even seem to match in color. The fake carbon fiber on the dash is pretty bad too, and the fake carbon fiber door handles? Lol, who are they building this car for again? Maybe a middle aged Dad trying to look cool to his teenage son?

As far as the looks go? Yawn. It's as if the designers copied off a BMW 7 series for the trunk lid, Dodge Charger for the grill, and a Volvo S-80 for the headlights. The side looks good though, and I like the wheels. I HATE the bigass sunroof. More moving parts to break up there.

I found it very interesting that Nissan was boasting about their third generation Maximas. They and most Maxima owner's know that this is when Nissan got the Maxima just right. The styling seemed ahead of it's time and completely original. I remember when the third gens had just come out. People would stop and stare at them as they drove by. I used to have people stop and ask me about mine wherever I went. To this day I've never met one person who didn't like the styling on that car.

Back then it was such an easy decision to buy a Maxima. It's main competition were cars like the Accord and Subaru Legacy. The Accord didn't even have a V6, the Legacy was homely looking and woefully underpowered, and the Maxima was selling for the same price as the Accord. Then the 92 Maxima's came out with 190hp coupled with 5-speed manuals. Those truly were 4-door sports cars for their time, especially when the competition was so weak. When I went car shopping I knew I wanted that Maxima! The only car in it's price range back then that could even keep up with it was a Ford Taurus SHO. It easily wiped the floor with the Accords and Subarus of it's day. It deserved that "4DSC" sticker and then some.

Flash forward to the 2009 Maxima. What really sets this car apart from it's competition anymore? Certainly not the styling. Definitely not the performance. Even without knowing the performance figures on this car I know it will be slower than a Legacy GT (with real manual tranny) and probably not much, if any faster than a plain 'ole Accord. There's no manual transmission, no AWD option, and it's even more expensive than the Accord V6 now.

Sadly, the once fun and unique Maxima has become an also ran. It's stiffest competition will be from the Altima once again. The Altima is the Maxima now imo. I don't know who they're building these new "Maximas" for anymore, but it certainly isn't for 3rd gen loving Maxima drivers such as myself.
WOW!!! Well said!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Really I know that's speaks for alot of us. Thats exactly how I feel. But hey gotta move on and adjust. Does this make our cars classics now ? We gotta move on to the Ifinity/Nissan G35/G37. Most all aftermarket parts are for these and the Altima now anyway. Well I know I'm saving up for my 2008 G35 sedan.....
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
I agree with you. If I were to buy a car for around $30k by the end of this year, I would choose the Altima V6 over the 09 Maxima. And here are my reasons:

1. The Altima is bigger than the 09 Maxima but not too big to compromise performance.
2. The Altima is less costly than the 09 Maxima, both to buy and maintain.
3. The Altima is a proven performer. It was rated Consumer Report's best midsize sedan. The 09 Maxima still has to prove its performance.
4. The mpg pf the Altima might be a little better than the 09 Maxima.
5. The weight of the Altima is less than the 09 Maxima.

The only points that I see in favor of the 09 Maxima are:

1. The 09 Maxima might have a more upscale interior than the Altima. But we are yet to find that out. Personally I do not like the dash very much.
2. The Maxima is an exclusive car unlike the Altima which is seen everywhere.
3. The Altima has only 20 hp and 3 lb-ft torque less than the 09 Maxima which will not be noticable in everyday driving.

In any case, the biggest competitor of the 09 Maxima is the Altima V6. Nissan has created a competition among its own vehicles.

Last edited by bb700092; 03-26-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM

3. The Maxima has optional rear seat HVAC/Audio Controls (in center armrest)
4. The Maxima offers a specially-programmed CVT w/ Sport Mode(s) & Paddle Shifters
5. The Maxima has an available heated steering wheel
6. The Maxima has larger brakes & wheels
7. The Maxima has a dual-panel roof option
8. The Maxima has a heated & cooled drivers seat w/ manual thigh support ala G35s
9. The Maxima offers 20 more horsepower (as you already stated)
10. The Maxima is better looking

It's all about perspective my friend. In my mind, there is enough difference between the Altima & Maxima. The only thing the Maxima doesn't offer more of is interior space. I think Americans need to get overtheir bigger = better attitude towards cars. Especially given the upcoming CAFE increases.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM

08' G35 > 09' Maxima for about the same cost. The Maxima is between a rock and a hard place. The only car that is similar in price and setup is the Acura TL as they are both FWD and like the TL, it will never be taken seriously as a performance sports sedan. The Maxima's spirit had moved on to the Altima two generations ago.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
2003SE

^^

Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jwaters943
3. The Maxima has optional rear seat HVAC/Audio Controls (in center armrest)
4. The Maxima offers a specially-programmed CVT w/ Sport Mode(s) & Paddle Shifters
5. The Maxima has an available heated steering wheel
6. The Maxima has larger brakes & wheels
7. The Maxima has a dual-panel roof option
8. The Maxima has a heated & cooled drivers seat w/ manual thigh support ala G35s
9. The Maxima offers 20 more horsepower (as you already stated)
10. The Maxima is better looking

It's all about perspective my friend. In my mind, there is enough difference between the Altima & Maxima. The only thing the Maxima doesn't offer more of is interior space. I think Americans need to get overtheir bigger = better attitude towards cars. Especially given the upcoming CAFE increases.
3. That is nice though at an extra cost. I like it. A 09 car has to have something more than a 07 car, otherwise why will people even consider it?

4. What is the benefit in everyday driving or even in track/autocrossing? What exactly is different from 07-08 Max's CVT? No one knows.

5. Don't worry, the 09 Altima will also have a heated steering wheel.

6. Larger brakes are required to stop the heavier Maxima. Smaller brakes do the job pretty well for the lighter Altima. What is the benefit of larger brakes, unless you are going to eat part of it? Look at the stopping times of the two cars.

What is the benefit of larger wheels? The only one I can think of is good looks. As far as performance is concerned, they add more weight (rotating mass) which is critical in a vehicle's acceleration/decceleration and mpg. Not to mention, tire replacements drain the pockets to no limit.

7. Dual panel roofs will come at an extra cost. Personally I like that option. But the 09 Altima might have it as well. If not, the next generation Altima in 2011 will surely have it.

8. That is an option I like. It comes at an extra cost. But then the Avalon has been offering the heated+cooled option for both the front two seats since 2007. I won't be surprised if the 09 Altima gets it too.

9. What is 20 more hp to the wheels? In everyday driving, no one will be able to notice any difference (as I already stated). The more important thing to note is that the 07-08 Altima V6 goes 0-60 mph in 6.0 secs (http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fa...cess=ShowTable). As far as I know, the 09 Maxima will do the same in 6.2 secs.

10. That is perhaps the most debatable statement anyone has made regarding the 09 Maxima. I think, you missed a "IMO" at the beginning of the sentence. People have even called it the "ugly duckling". You will know if you visit independent car forums that are not dedicated to the Maxima or to Nissan

It's all about perspective my friend. In my mind, there is not enough difference between the Altima & Maxima. The only thing the Altima doesn't offer more of is hp. I think Americans need to get over their "more hp = better" attitude towards cars. Especially given the overwhelming gas price increases.

PS: We are comparing the 09 Maxima with the 08 Altima which is not fair. We do not know what the 09 Altima will come with. It is time for its refresh and it might come with a few technologies that the 09 Maxima is coming with.

Last edited by bb700092; 03-26-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by bb700092
3. That is nice though at an extra cost. I like it. A 09 car has to have something more than a 07 car, otherwise why will people even consider it?

4. What is the benefit in everyday driving or even in track/autocrossing? What exactly is different from 07-08 Max's CVT? No one knows.

5. Don't worry, the 09 Altima will also have a heated steering wheel.

6. Larger brakes are required to stop the heavier Maxima. Smaller brakes do the job pretty well for the lighter Altima. What is the benefit of larger brakes, unless you are going to eat part of it? Look at the stopping times of the two cars.

What is the benefit of larger wheels? The only one I can think of is good looks. As far as performance is concerned, they add more weight (rotating mass) which is critical in a vehicle's acceleration/decceleration and mpg. Not to mention, tire replacements drain the pockets to no limit.

8. Dual panel roofs will come at an extra cost. Personally I like that option. But the 09 Altima might have it as well. If not, the next generation Altima in 2011 will surely have it.

9. What is 20 more hp to the wheels? In everyday driving, no one will be able to notice any difference (as I already stated).

10. That is perhaps the most debatable statement anyone has made regarding the 09 Maxima. I think, you missed a "IMO" at the beginning of the sentence. People have even called it the "ugly duckling". You will know if you visit independent car forums that are not dedicated to the Maxima or to Nissan

It's all about perspective my friend. In my mind, there is not enough difference between the Altima & Maxima. The only thing the Altima doesn't offer more of is hp. I think Americans need to get over their "more hp = better" attitude towards cars. Especially given the overwhelming gas price increases.
Bottom line is this:

Spend your money on whichever one floats your boat.

You can argue this stuff all day long (fun as it might be ) yet never come to an agreement because everybody has a different set of priorities, needs, wants and, as you mentioned, perspective. It's why Nissan makes both of them, and I am sure they are LOVING this!

THERE IS NO ARGUMENT ON EARTH that could ever convince me to buy an Altima (or Camry or Accord). I've worked too long and too hard for my money to spend it on something that looks exactly like the 4 cyl base version my neighbor just bought for his daughter to go off to college with, no matter how many more options mine had on it. Automotive snobbery??? Maybe, but that is how I feel. Add in the fact that Altima may have (IMO - there... happy now?) the ugliest tail lights Nissan has EVER foisted on us (and they have come out with some duesies!) and that the interior is barely above the Checker cab level - it just ain't happening for me. Does that make it a bad car? Not at all - I recommended it to my neighbor! It's just not a car that interests me - at all. If it interests you, or anybody else... great - buy three of them. Congratulations and good luck on your purchase!

Same thing works in reverse. The new Maxima appears to fit virtually all of MY criteria and, to me, has a wonderfully sinister predatory animal look (can't wait to see a black one in person!). If it handles like it looks, I'm sold. If you don't see the same things in the Maxima, by all means look at the Altima/G35/TL/G8/CC... whatever.

Ya pays yer money 'n ya takes yer choice.

Last edited by jcalabria; 03-26-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Bottom line is this:

I've worked too long and too hard for my money to spend it on something that looks exactly like the 4 cyl base version my neighbor just bought for his daughter to go off to college with, no matter how many more options mine had on it.
I totally agree. And I think, with the 09 Maxima, Nissan is banking on that for customers.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by bb7700092
PS: We are comparing the 09 Maxima with the 08 Altima which is not fair. We do not know what the 09 Altima will come with. It is time for its refresh and it might come with a few technologies that the 09 Maxima is coming with.

One more important thing to note. The 07-08 Altima V6 goes 0-60 mph in 6.0 secs (http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fa...cess=ShowTable). As far as I know, the 09 Maxima will do the same in 6.2 secs.
Speaking of unfare, what's with you comparing a 0-60mph estimate for the Maxima w/ a real-world time for the Altima?

I have to wonder if most of your complaints aren't a case of unreasonably high expectations. If Nissan launched the Maxima w/ over 300hp and/or AWD, it would canibalize G sales. If Nissan made the Maxima larger and offered even more feature content, it would hurt M35 sales. If they slashed the curbweight it would make the car less refined and noiser, like the Altima. You see what I'm getting at? It's always easy to see the cup as half empty, which is exactly what you're doing with the Maxima. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your needs/wants, but that's the great thing about freedom of choice. For every person who doesn't like the new Max, I guarantee there are 1-2 more that do. To totally discredit it's advantages (on paper) over the Altima without so much as driving it first or waiting for some reviews to come out is a bit extreme IMO. I'm not saying it's the best car to come out of Nissan in the last 5 years, all I'm saying is give it a chance before going out of your way to find fault with it.

Last edited by jwaters943; 03-26-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jwaters943
bb700092:

Speaking of unfare, what's with you comparing a 0-60mph estimate for the Maxima w/ a real-world time for the Altima?

I have to wonder if most of your complaints aren't a case of unreasonably high expectations. If Nissan launched the Maxima w/ over 300hp and/or AWD, it would canibalize G sales. If Nissan made the Maxima larger and offered even more feature content, it would hurt M35 sales. If they slashed the curbweight it would make the car less refined and noiser, like the Altima. You see what I'm getting at? It's always easy to see the cup as half empty, which is exactly what you're doing with the Maxima. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your needs/wants, but that's the great thing about freedom of choice. For every person who doesn't like the new Max, I guarantee there are 1-2 more that do. To totally discredit it's advantages (on paper) over the Altima without so much as driving it first or waiting for some reviews to come out is a bit extreme IMO. I'm not saying it's the best car to come out of Nissan in the last 5 years, all I'm saying is give it a chance before going out of your way to find fault with it.
Look, your points are well taken. I did not have high expectations about the Maxima, I did have different expectations. To me, Altima V6 was like a poor man's FWD G35 sedan while the Maxima was a poor man's FWD M35/M45. With the 09 Maxima that is not true any more.

When Nissan claims better handling, 4DSC, etc. about the 09 Maxima, we all feel great. I had expected the same but not at the cost of reducing the size of the sedan. If Nissan could achieve better handling, 4DSC, etc. keeping the size of the 6th gen Maxima, then it would have been a really commendable feat. That is exactly what I expected.

I did not want 300 hp. In fact I predicted 285-290 hp myself before the specs were announced. I never wanted RWD/AWD or manual transmission even as an option. I am very happy with the FWD CVT in my 07 Maxima.

Were my expectations too much? Did I want anything that would jeopardize Inifiniti or Altima sales?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM

[quote=bb700092;6319479]To me, Altima V6 was like a poor man's FWD G35 sedan while the Maxima was a poor man's FWD M35/M45. With the 09 Maxima that is not true any more.quote]

I'm glad that you personalized that statement. I have never thought of any of my Maximas as a poor man's anything. I think of it as a Nissan Maxima. When I am shopping for a car, I shop for that car, not one that is "close enough without being it"
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

[quote=nlt624;6319625]
To me, Altima V6 was like a poor man's FWD G35 sedan while the Maxima was a poor man's FWD M35/M45. With the 09 Maxima that is not true any more.quote]

I'm glad that you personalized that statement. I have never thought of any of my Maximas as a poor man's anything. I think of it as a Nissan Maxima. When I am shopping for a car, I shop for that car, not one that is "close enough without being it"
I agree... I shopped the '06 G35 and could have actually leased one for less than the '07 Max, yet chose the Max - on its merits. It definitely wasn't a "poor man's" choice.

Anyway, if you think that way then EVERY car is a poor man's Rolls / Ferrari / etc... just depends how "poor" you are how far down the ladder you go.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM

They should just re-issue the third gen with a turbo and some updated headlights.

I'm sure you suggested that right Danny?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM

wow that steering wheel looks sick, other than that it kinda looks like a lexus the front
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM

"I think Americans need to get over their "more hp = better" attitude towards cars. Especially given the overwhelming gas price increases."

NEVER !!! I like Horse Power & I can afford the gas !!!!

Best Regards
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

When Nissan claims better handling, 4DSC, etc. about the 09 Maxima, we all feel great. I had expected the same but not at the cost of reducing the size of the sedan. If Nissan could achieve better handling, 4DSC, etc. keeping the size of the 6th gen Maxima, then it would have been a really commendable feat.
Nissan most likely just listened to the comments from the masses when the 5th then the 6th generation came out... "Stop the bloat!"

Of course, you can't defy physics either, a larger car just will not handle as well as a smaller car--given the same amount of suspension tuning.

Nissan, for once, listened, and here we are complaining.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Gunther
They should just re-issue the third gen with a turbo and some updated headlights.

I'm sure you suggested that right Danny?
LOL
well i did say that the 3rd gen was one of the better maximas made.

on a side note i did ask them to build a 240SX like car. 4 cyl, rwd, light, fun to drive, easy to mod, etc etc
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
"I think Americans need to get over their "more hp = better" attitude towards cars. Especially given the overwhelming gas price increases."

NEVER !!! I like Horse Power & I can afford the gas !!!!

Best Regards
That is the problem with most of us. Most of us, maybe all of us, in the Maxima forums CAN afford the gas. What we do not realize is that the gas prices are increasing for everyone because we are using gas faster than many others. In other words, we are contributing more to the gas price increase than many other people and everyone is having to face the consequences. That is just not fair.

I think (though not sure) Maxima buyers will have to pay the Gas Guzzler Tax in 09 depending on what EPA determines as the 09 Maxima's fuel consumption.

Last edited by bb700092; 03-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Nissan most likely just listened to the comments from the masses when the 5th then the 6th generation came out... "Stop the bloat!"

Of course, you can't defy physics either, a larger car just will not handle as well as a smaller car--given the same amount of suspension tuning.

Nissan, for once, listened, and here we are complaining.
I am not sure why people call the 6th gen bloated. Do you call the M35 bloated too? I find the design of the 6th gen Max and M35 very similar in terms of dimensions, shape, etc. The hp/torque is less in the Max but the 07 accelerates very well (IMO), weighs less than the M35, and gets much better mpg than the M35.

A BMW 7 series is a full size sedan that is extremely sporty with excellent handling. Does it defy physics? It takes better engineering and investment to build such cars which Nissan is either incapable of or unwilling to.

Lets see how well the 09 Maxima sells given that Nissan listened to you guys.

Last edited by bb700092; 03-26-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM

I don't think he's talking about the dimensions, I think he's talking about the overall look of the exterior. And from looking at it, it is kind of bulky and you have to be blind not to see that. Especially the back. Maybe because of the more curvy circular design that nissan chose to go with for the 6th gen.

And how much do the 7 series's cost? The team that built the 09 Max probably had some kind of guideline and budget that they had to follow which limits them. Doubt it had anything to do with incapability of engineering an excellent handling car, which nissan claims they improved and redesigned for the 09 Maxima.

I guess it is fun debating about it. No personal diss to you bb700092.

Seriously man, smaller and more compact. Better handling. That's the only thing missing from the 5th gen. That's how it should be. Great decision Nissan.

I am not sure why people call the 6th gen bloated. Do you call the M35 bloated too? I find the design of the 6th gen Max and M35 very similar in terms of dimensions, shape, etc. The hp/torque is less in the Max but the 07 accelerates very well (IMO), weighs less than the M35, and gets much better mpg than the M35.

A BMW 7 series is a full size sedan that is extremely sporty with excellent handling. Does it defy physics? It takes better engineering and investment to build such cars which Nissan is either incapable of or unwilling to.

Lets see how well the 09 Maxima sells given that Nissan listened to you guys.

Last edited by syntax182; 03-26-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show