7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 AM

Yes all other door solenoids work fine. Dome lights do not work with the main switch or their respective independent switches. Vanity Mirror lights are still dead. I am thinking that since both problems are at the same time that a switch/plug/wire in the door is bad. Thus causing the car to think that I have left the door open, so battery protection features have kicked in and shut off that doors lock and the interior lights. Even though when the passenger door is open, is the only time it is displayed on the info center in the speedometer cluster.

It's hard to offer someone a ride in your new car, when you have to reach around and unlock the door for them...

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 05-14-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Hmmm, hit a small bump in the road on the way to work today and the dome light comes on, and then the mirror light works again. Went out to the car at lunchtime and the dome light, mirror lights don't work again.

What is the sacrifice that I have to make, to appease my "new" NISSAN Diety.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know how to turn off the auto entry/exit seat movement? I have the SV Sport without Nav. The manual only shows how to disable the entry/exit feature using the Nav menus (color screen). I just want to avoid the wear and tear on the motor.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
Hmmm, hit a small bump in the road on the way to work today and the dome light comes on, and then the mirror light works again. Went out to the car at lunchtime and the dome light, mirror lights don't work again.

What is the sacrifice that I have to make, to appease my "new" NISSAN Diety.
Geez, now I have a loaner for the next several days. I have only had my 09 for a week. The service folks could not figure it out, so they are going to take the next several days to see what they can find on it. They said, " that the BCM has stored a code for the door locks and light issues. But it is most likely something electrical." --- Well Duh.

If the car is going to give me this trouble is there anything I can do, like a refund or a swap for another car? What is Nissan's policies on this?

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 05-15-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:49 PM

If the car is going to give me this trouble is there anything I can do, like a refund or a swap for another car? What is Nissan's policies on this?

Of course this problem must be fixed. I think your car is the only one that has had this problem mentioned here on the ORG. This is obviously an electrical problem, and the dealer will have to either fix it, or swap this car for a matching car without the problem. If he can't fix the problem within a specified number of dealer trips (is it 3? I have never dealt with the Lemon Law), then you either get a new car or your money back.

If you like the car except for this problem, I would insist they fix the problem, or swap it for a new one. Please don't judge the overall reliability of this car based on a problem that may well have not been in any of the other fifty-some thousand '09 Maximas Nissan has built. A competent tech will find the problem, which, once found, could be fairly easy to fix.

I am really sorry this is spoiling your new car experience.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks for you compassionate reply. I am trying to not let this get me down. I am new to the Nissan brand, and so I have an extra large "learning/acclimation curve" to overcome.

I read elsewhere on here about the heated seats issue. At least mine are working fine.

I have a gen4 ipod and yesterday it's battery was dead. It was plugged into the car, and it does charge, but sometimes after the car is shutoff, the ipod interface does not allow the ipod to fall asleep. So now I am keeping an eye on that. I am not sure if it's ipod being older with old firmware or if it's the car doing it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, it can be disheartening, but don't let it get to you. At least you have a loaner. I already had to go back to the dealer as well. Two weeks ago it was in the low 90s, and I had no A/C. The sensor was never plugged in so no cold air came out. After an hour of diagnosis, the tech plugged it in, and it's fine.

It's horrible, but things do happen.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Does anyone's car have an indicator light in the instrument cluster to tell you when your foglights are on? It speaks of it in manual on page 2-14, but mine does not light up when my fogs are on.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Does anyone's car have an indicator light in the instrument cluster to tell you when your foglights are on? It speaks of it in manual on page 2-14, but mine does not light up when my fogs are on.

Interesting. I thought I might have remembered such an indicator light, but I just went out to my Maxima, turned the ignition on, turned the headlights to low beam and turned on the fog lights. The fog lights came on, but I saw no indicator light anywhere. Not on the dash, not on the console, not on the light switch stalk, not anywhere. And I tried this around a dozen times.

On page 2-14, where it says 'if so equipped', I had assumed that meant 'if this particular vehicle has fog lights.' If I was the cynical type, I would probably assume Nissan is saying 'if so equipped with an indicator light.'

I think what has happened here is that, yet again, Nissan's cheapness in using exactly the same dialogue in the manuals of several Nissan products (such as the Maxima, Murano, Pathfinder, etc) has caught them with their undies showing.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:37 AM

Thats what I was thinking about the manual as well.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Correct. Castrol GTX 5W-30 SM (service level 'M') dino oil would meet all warranty requirements and keep your Maxima engine humming perfectly for well over 200,000 miles (I know; I've done that). But to some of us **** folks here on the ORG, that would be like putting generic talcum powder on our first-born's fanny; would work fine, but just won't do.

What is a good synthetic oil to use?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2009
I have not used the music box yet, just wondering if it is easy to add and delete songs off of the hard drive? Can I delete certain songs or do I have to delete the whole cd?

The music box is easy to use, when I first used it I was skeptical but with a little practice its the greatest! Certain things such as search albums you cant do while the vehicle is in motion, but there are other means of changing albums. This is a truly a ingenius idea
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by afedorov
Hi Everyone,

I just leased 09 maxima S - the only thing that I am missing from all the toys are the fog lights but I really dont want to pay dealer price to add them(plus I don't like their color). I was wondering if I was to get an aftermarket lights - how hard is to install them? Any chance the wiring harness for fog lights is on place even though I do not have them?

Thank you
Alex
Hello did you install the foglights yet
Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by G9Max

As far as synthetics, I have only used Mobil 1, so I am not an authority on synthetic oils. I would suggest you go back to the first page of the Maxima Forums, go down to the Maintenance, Tech & Care section, and choose the Fluids and Lubricants entry. There will be endless discussion of oils there.

In the meantime, there will be a few here on the 7th gen board who will doubtlessly have suggestions.

Whatever brand synthetic you choose, just be sure to stick with name brands, use only oil with an SAE Service Rating of 'SM', use only 5W-30 weight (viscosity) oil, and never use addatives. That way, you know you are using the right stuff, and won't risk affecting your warranty.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

It's really hard to find a bad one. I literally use whatever I can find on sale. Contrary to popular myth - your car can't tell the difference. I have used Mobil 1, Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum, GC(Castrol 0W-30, made in Germany) and Quaker State.

If you are a glutton for punishment, there is a world of information at the BITOG forums - more than enough to make your head spin.

Talkinghorse on these forums is a good, mostly objective source of info - even though he sells Amsoil(and can get you a discount).
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM

since i am a newbie what does dino stand for?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM

does the sport max with tech package have the seat cooling feature?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 PM

has anybody changed there oil themselves?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 AM

since i am a newbie what does dino stand for?

I answered this in detail on another thread in which you asked this question. In case you don't see that answer, very briefly, 'dino' stands for 'dinosaur', as it was from the bodies of dinosaurs that petroleum deposits evolved millins of years ago. Dino oil is the regular motor oil we have been using for over a hundred years. It was the only motor oil we had until synthetic came on the market thirty or forty years ago.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 AM

does the sport max with tech package have the seat cooling feature?

No.

This feature is only available with the Premium package, and is not always automatically included pricewise within the Premium package.

I saw many '09s with Premium package last summer where the cooled seats were listed separately on the window sticker, with around $300 added to the MSRP. But I have seen many more '09s with Premium package (like mine) where the cooled seats were just another item in the long list of features included in the Premium package.

My dealer was not able to tell me why we had this disparity. I think the 'extra charge' may have been Nissan's first attempt to extract a little more money for this '09, and happened around the August to September period, after which Nissan realized they were not making money on this '09 and simply raised the MSRP around $800 in mid-October. Since then, the cooled seats seem to always be included pricewise within the Premium package.

Messy answer, but I found this to be a messy situation last summer.

Edit - And you probably didn't want the cooled seats anyway. My wife says they make her fanny feel like it was placed in a deep freeze. Until I turned the control to 'low', my fanny felt the same as hers.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-19-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dual Sunroof interior panel question

I just purchased an 09' Maxima with Premium package. My 1 yr old son managed to get fruit juice on the front interior sunroof panel. This panel is a thin fabric that covers the actual sunroof. In applying pressure to clean the fabric it seems to have stretched it a little. Im not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyone with any experience with this or know if this is part of the car you cant touch without damaging?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by nickd79
I just purchased an 09' Maxima with Premium package. My 1 yr old son managed to get fruit juice on the front interior sunroof panel. This panel is a thin fabric that covers the actual sunroof. In applying pressure to clean the fabric it seems to have stretched it a little. Im not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyone with any experience with this or know if this is part of the car you cant touch without damaging?

I have not had any such experience, but since nobody else responded, I will say that I ALWAYS dab or press with vertical pressure on such surfaces, and NEVER NEVER try to rub sideways, even a fraction of an inch. The sideways rubbing always seems to stretch the fabric.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by nickd79
Was you able to get the stain out?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM

I moved this to a seperate thread: http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...y-new-car.html

Yes all other door solenoids work fine. Dome lights do not work with the main switch or their respective independent switches. Vanity Mirror lights are still dead. I am thinking that since both problems are at the same time that a switch/plug/wire in the door is bad. Thus causing the car to think that I have left the door open, so battery protection features have kicked in and shut off that doors lock and the interior lights. Even though when the passenger door is open, is the only time it is displayed on the info center in the speedometer cluster.

It's hard to offer someone a ride in your new car, when you have to reach around and unlock the door for them...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM

How did I do it? I stopped in my garage and pushed the start/stop button and the engine stopped but the ignition switch indicated the acc. position. It would be nice to be able to kill the engine without having the radio/cell phone going off. I did look in the manual but could not find a way to do it and have not been able to duplicate it. Anyone know the trick?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
How did I do it? I stopped in my garage and pushed the start/stop button and the engine stopped but the ignition switch indicated the acc. position. It would be nice to be able to kill the engine without having the radio/cell phone going off. I did look in the manual but could not find a way to do it and have not been able to duplicate it. Anyone know the trick?
I also did not think that was a possible. Must have been a glitch for you. I would like the ability to put in ACC mode without having to completely power down.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 PM

to kill the engine with leaving the power and all accessories on....

Tap the engine start/stop button twice quickly. This will do exactly what you wanted it to do in the ACC mode.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blulytes
to kill the engine with leaving the power and all accessories on....

Tap the engine start/stop button twice quickly. This will do exactly what you wanted it to do in the ACC mode.

That worked! You did good, thanks a lot.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi - Can someone please answer a "paranoia" question for me regarding the dual moon-roof.

Please confirm that when the roof is fully opened that it is not completely hidden - i.e. you still see a portion of the roof.

Hope this question makes sense!
Thanks.
Rob
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
That worked! You did good, thanks a lot.
Yes that worked great here too.

Is there a way to go from ACC mode to off, thus skipping on. I hate the idea of the car "powering up" and possibly causing un-needed power spiking just because I want to shut the car totally off.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by robf
Hi - Can someone please answer a "paranoia" question for me regarding the dual moon-roof.

Please confirm that when the roof is fully opened that it is not completely hidden - i.e. you still see a portion of the roof.

Hope this question makes sense!
Thanks.
Rob

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. But when the roof is totally open, the front section will sit a few inches above the top of the car, mostly (but not completely) back over the rear half of the roof. You will still be able to see the front portion of the raised roof from the driver's seat.

The front part of the raised roof will be a little closer to the top of the car than the rear part so that it will be level with the ground, in line with the airflow as the car is moving, and not tend to act as a wing and try to lift up.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. But when the roof is totally open, the front section will sit a few inches above the top of the car, mostly (but not completely) back over the rear half of the roof. You will still be able to see the front portion of the raised roof from the driver's seat.

The front part of the raised roof will be a little closer to the top of the car than the rear part so that it will be level with the ground, in line with the airflow as the car is moving, and not tend to act as a wing and try to lift up.
lightonthehill - Thanks for your response. The first part answered my question - i.e. that you still see the front portion of the roof.
Rob
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation 2009 maxima ses engine light on and engine miss

anyone run into this yet ?
dealer said it had a random miss code and we had a "bad" thank of gas
well its had a slight miss since 3000 miles and the dealer said dont worry about it till the ses light comes on . so it finally came on and i took it in for service . they said it had a random missfire and it was probally a bad tank of gas . it now has 6400 miles on it and we must just be buying " bad" gas all the time . 2 days later my wife put in 91 octane from a different gas station and 15 miles later the ses light comes back on as it is missing still .
any help ?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 09 4dsc owner
anyone run into this yet ?
dealer said it had a random miss code and we had a "bad" thank of gas
well its had a slight miss since 3000 miles and the dealer said dont worry about it till the ses light comes on . so it finally came on and i took it in for service . they said it had a random missfire and it was probally a bad tank of gas . it now has 6400 miles on it and we must just be buying " bad" gas all the time . 2 days later my wife put in 91 octane from a different gas station and 15 miles later the ses light comes back on as it is missing still .
any help ?

Was the 'different gas station' also the same brand of gas? If so, it probably receives the same gas as the original station.

But that is just a technicality, as I don't believe gas is your problem. Something is not right with your car, and your dealer needs to bite the bullet and find out what it is. There have been a few here who had the SES light come on, but their car was not missing, and the SES engine light was usually fixed by tightening the gas tank filler cap better or replacing the cap.

Maybe someone here will have an idea of something to check.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

video of 7th generation with stillen exhaust

I just recently got the 09 maxima and I have been looking at the stillen exhaust trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not. I was wondering if anyone that has this exhaust on their 09 maxima has some input on it, if so could you post a video clip of it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by alllstarplayer
I just recently got the 09 maxima and I have been looking at the stillen exhaust trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not. I was wondering if anyone that has this exhaust on their 09 maxima has some input on it, if so could you post a video clip of it.

Folks seemed to be generally pleased with the Stillen exhaust UNTIL a rusting problem cropped up. Please read the 'Took the Stillen Exhaust Off' thread a few threads below for more info.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Curious

What is the cut out square on the left part of the front bumper? Very curious to what its for. Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by virgmax
What is the cut out square on the left part of the front bumper? Very curious to what its for. Thanks in advance!!
That is where a tow truck can screw in an I bolt so than can attach a cable to pull you out of whatever you got yourself into.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was the 'different gas station' also the same brand of gas? If so, it probably receives the same gas as the original station.

But that is just a technicality, as I don't believe gas is your problem. Something is not right with your car, and your dealer needs to bite the bullet and find out what it is. There have been a few here who had the SES light come on, but their car was not missing, and the SES engine light was usually fixed by tightening the gas tank filler cap better or replacing the cap.

Maybe someone here will have an idea of something to check.

totally different brands of gas ........
tried the fuel cap to know avail .
when you pull up to a stop light it tends to spit and sputter when hot .
they told me they checked ,coils,mass air flow, fuel pressure, fuel injectors, and a few others . nothing .
i hope some one read this and has a comment .
i am glad i bought extended warrenty .
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just got a call from the dealer random miss fire detected . but they dont know why or whats causing it .

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....