7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I hate my 2012 Maxima SV

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Why I hate my 2012 Maxima SV

Paint damage and chips easily poor quality paint
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain.
Mud Flaps are not mud flaps they are stone chip guards the car gets filthy.
Gas Pedal to far away
Torque Steer is dangerous if you don't know about it can be deadly
Horrible in snow
Poor in Rain
Front bumper too low scrapes curbs
Steering wheel radio controls stick out too far and accidentally hit them and change channels frequently.
Drivers Seat uncomfortable.
Leather on sides of seats, mid back seat and headrests not real
Can't fix headliner rattle after two times
Dash computer controls not visibly accessible, have to take eyes off road to use
Seat warmer buttons in hard to view location
Electric outlets in bottom of arm rest and have to empty out consoles to use.
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to access
Car gets filthy in light rain because mud flaps are fake and are small chip guards
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible because it scans by name at letter A and runs slow
Cant scan it by alphabet
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching it
Brake pedal is half size of regular one
Doors close on you if not open all the way even on flat ground
No option to lower radio when answering bluetooth phone, therefore when ending call radio blasts creating a significant driver disturbance.
Tech display is off on Radio display by avg. MPG. IE. Read 22.7 Avg MPG and at refueling tank took 17.665 gallons and B trip gauge that I reset every refill read 366 miles. That equals 20.7. This has been consistent for three months of tracking.
Steering loose out of hard right turns.
Gear shift **** lever has a recess in it that catches the skin on your finger
Cannot independently lift the windshield wipers. The Drivers side must be lifted first then the passenger side.
This makes it very difficult when removing ice or cleaning the windshield. Have to keep walking around the front of car.
Taillights fill up with moisture and Nissan says that’s normal.
Nisssan customer service reps are scripted and monkeys would do better.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First world problems.

Throw down the change for a 335i.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM

So how much are you selling it for? If you want to part it out, I'll take the tails!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Did you not test drive the car before you bought it?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM

^ sort of what I was thinking... you'd notice many of those things test driving it. altho I agree with the oem wheels being terrible that is very true the RS-A's suck.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Cool story, bro.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM

I don't like mine either but it's not that bad. I got a good deal and once the lease is up in 3 years I will have more money to get the 535i I wanted.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM

I call second dibs on the taillights.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM

So you bought a 2012 Maxima and didn't realize the flaws upon test driving?

Most of the flaws (not all) could have been detected upon test driving...just my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 PM

^And I'll be damned if I buy a $30-$40k car that I didn't like.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM

waaaaaaaaaaa
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like someone that just complains about everything but yet you know nothing about cars and how a majority are designed and put together.

And you're very redundant if not annoying in the way you repeat the same thing just in a different way.

here's my responses and I will start at the top

-Paint and chip damage? Get Lexshield or Clear bra
-Mudflaps not being mudflaps? No Sh*t they aren't mud flaps.
-Gas pedal too far away? move your seat farther up
-Torque Steer? Google torgue steer for FWD Nissans.....WE KNOW THIS ALREADY (and I think its fun to drive and it's nothing compared to my Sentra SE-R Spec-V)
-Snow? Tires? Poor in the rain? Yes, those tires aren't great, but how many other cars in this class are gonna use really nice tires. BUY NEW ONES!
-Front Bumper too low? I'm lowered and never hit a curb. DON'T PULL SO FAR FORWARD!
-Hitting steering wheel controls? Don't drive with your palms!
-Seat uncomfortable? That's your problem
-Faux leather on the seat? Once again, how many cars in it's class actually have real leather.
-Seat warmer buttons hard to see? How often do you really turn it on and off? and do you really NEED to see it to know if it's on or not. up=low, down=high and centered=off
-ipod and electrical outlets? I work for Cadillac and everything car they make is the same way. Don't keep so much crap in your center console and you won't have that problem.
-Car gets dirty in light rain? Join the club. Who's car doesn't? Mudflaps won't change that.
-Programming bluetooth by voice? How many things you keep trying to program?? One and done
-Seat belt scratching panel? Stop throwing your seat belt off.
-Brake pedal half the size? what's the regular size?
-Doors close when not on flat ground? name a car that stays open on a hill!
-Steering loose out of hard turns? FWD and you're accelerating! DUH!
-Gear shift **** pinching your skin?? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! You don't need a death grip to change gears!
-Can't lift windshield wipers independently? get use to it. would rather have more wiper coverage or be too lazy to walk around to the other side.
-Moisture in tails? grow a pair and tell the dealership to replace them. that's not normal

On that note, why don't you tell us why you like the car?? Cuz from this list it sounds like the economy got the best of you and you use to be european car owner that thinks 40k for a 3 series beamer is better than a Max.

I love my Max. If you don't, get rid of it. Forum has no room for whiners.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Saltdet
Gas Pedal to far away
Horrible in snow
Poor in Rain
Steering wheel radio controls stick out too far and accidentally hit them and change channels frequently.
Dash computer controls not visibly accessible, have to take eyes off road to use
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to access
Car gets filthy in light rain because mud flaps are fake and are small chip guards
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible because it scans by name at letter A and runs slow
Cant scan it by alphabet
No option to lower radio when answering bluetooth phone, therefore when ending call radio blasts creating a significant driver disturbance.
Tech display is off on Radio display by avg. MPG. IE. Read 22.7 Avg MPG and at refueling tank took 17.665 gallons and B trip gauge that I reset every refill read 366 miles. That equals 20.7. This has been consistent for three months of tracking.
Cannot independently lift the windshield wipers. The Drivers side must be lifted first then the passenger side.
This makes it very difficult when removing ice or cleaning the windshield. Have to keep walking around the front of car.

Hi Carrie, how have you been after all these years? Oh wait - this isn't my ex-wife who *****es about everything...so sorry for the mix up.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 AM

^^HAHAHAHA! I just fell out of my damn chair...wow...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 AM

I can't take this serious, the posters 6th post, no one with a job or a life would complain about 9 out of 10 of those things cause all cars have them
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 AM

Honestly why would u join a maxima forum just to complain I mean really WTF was that all about ur worst than my Girl! I hate ur car it too low! You don't let me drive it! All u do is clean it! Everyday there's something at the door from UPS! U treat her better than me! It's not practical! U won't put the baby seats in ur car because it's going to ruin ur leather! Turn the music down! Ur going to FAST! OMG!!! Oh I got an ideai leave it some where with the keys in it and I'm sure someone will be glad To take her off ur hands! Like me!!! What did u do see it on tv and had it delivered to ur house seriously never in my life!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 AM

kind of ridiculous so why'd you buy the car? Because everything you said seems like you'd know most of this before hand I love mine
Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trade it now.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda....
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by smk qbns
Hi Carrie, how have you been after all these years? Oh wait - this isn't my ex-wife who *****es about everything...so sorry for the mix up.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM

OMG What was your last car!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM

This is one is my favorite.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Gas Pedal to far away
Horrible in snow
Poor in Rain
Cant scan it by alphabet
Dude, I hate to be a jerk but....you're making issues out of trivial and non-existent issues. Most things are just normal (i.e wiper, radio, console, etc.) and you live with it. Other things (i.e taillights and tires) you have the right to complain about (i just got continental DWS), but don't make the car unbearable.

To put things in perspective, I have a 2012 GL450 also with an MSRP of $75000, and honestly somethings are on the Maxima that I have no clue why they couldn't put on the GL. You live with it, each company designs a car with a certain mindset (although features on the max not on the GL ticks me off at times but w/e).

You should live in a third world country for like 5 days, you'll think the maxima is from heaven.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM

my first thought was if the OP was actually driving a Maxima... mind you I definitely have gripes with the car but some of these just don't make any sense.

Get rid of the car bro! Why'd you buy it in the first place?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like someone that just complains about everything but yet you know nothing about cars and how a majority are designed and put together.

And you're very redundant if not annoying in the way you repeat the same thing just in a different way.

-Torque Steer? Google torgue steer for FWD Nissans.....WE KNOW THIS ALREADY (and I think its fun to drive and it's nothing compared to my Sentra SE-R Spec-V)
-Snow? Tires? Poor in the rain? Yes, those tires aren't great, but how many other cars in this class are gonna use really nice tires. BUY NEW ONES!
-Front Bumper too low? I'm lowered and never hit a curb. DON'T PULL SO FAR FORWARD!
-Faux leather on the seat? Once again, how many cars in it's class actually have real leather.
-Seat warmer buttons hard to see? How often do you really turn it on and off? and do you really NEED to see it to know if it's on or not. up=low, down=high and centered=off
-ipod and electrical outlets? I work for Cadillac and everything car they make is the same way. Don't keep so much crap in your center console and you won't have that problem.
-Car gets dirty in light rain? Join the club. Who's car doesn't? Mudflaps won't change that.
-Programming bluetooth by voice? How many things you keep trying to program?? One and done
-Gear shift **** pinching your skin?? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! You don't need a death grip to change gears!
-Can't lift windshield wipers independently? get use to it. would rather have more wiper coverage or be too lazy to walk around to the other side.
-Moisture in tails? grow a pair and tell the dealership to replace them. that's not normal

On that note, why don't you tell us why you like the car?? Cuz from this list it sounds like the economy got the best of you and you use to be european car owner that thinks 40k for a 3 series beamer is better than a Max.

+10000000%
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Paint damage and chips easily poor quality paint Have you seen BMWs Paint?
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain.Stock Tires, what did you expect?
Mud Flaps are not mud flaps they are stone chip guards the car gets filthy.What car comes with Rubber Mud Flaps?
Gas Pedal to far awayAre you a midget?(no disrespect to little people.)
Torque Steer is dangerous if you don't know about it can be deadlyFWD with almost 300hp, its not going away.
Horrible in snowStock Tires
Poor in Rain^^^^^
Front bumper too low scrapes curbsWhy you driving over curbs?
Steering wheel radio controls stick out too far and accidentally hit them and change channels frequently. Do you hug the Wheel or something?
Drivers Seat uncomfortable. Probably True.
Leather on sides of seats, mid back seat and headrests not realIts not a Bentley.
Can't fix headliner rattle after two timesI wish it was BLACK
Electric outlets in bottom of arm rest and have to empty out consoles to use. You got steering wheel controls dude.
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to accessThats true.
Car gets filthy in light rain because mud flaps are fake and are small chip guardsIts called weather.
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible because it scans by name at letter A and runs slowNever use it.
Cant scan it by alphabetIDK
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching itHappens on almost every car.
Brake pedal is half size of regular one It is when you wear a size 15.
Doors close on you if not open all the way even on flat groundO'Rly?
No option to lower radio when answering bluetooth phone, therefore when ending call radio blasts creating a significant driver disturbance.Are you sure?
Tech display is off on Radio display by avg. MPG. IE. Read 22.7 Avg MPG and at refueling tank took 17.665 gallons and B trip gauge that I reset every refill read 366 miles. That equals 20.7. This has been consistent for three months of tracking.I dont use that. No comment.
Steering loose out of hard right turns. Quit Drifting in a FWD.
Gear shift **** lever has a recess in it that catches the skin on your fingerWhy is your skin so floppy?
Cannot independently lift the windshield wipers. The Drivers side must be lifted first then the passenger side. Thats true, thats why I lift Drivers first since you know, im getting out of the drivers side.
This makes it very difficult when removing ice or cleaning the windshield. Have to keep walking around the front of car.Spray ICEE beafore winter storm on every car.
Taillights fill up with moisture and Nissan says that’s normal.Thats not normal.
Nisssan customer service reps are scripted and monkeys would do better.Customer Service Reaps all around the world are the same.

You should of notice alot of those things before you bought it, did you not shop Mate?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
my first thought was if the OP was actually driving a Maxima... mind you I definitely have gripes with the car but some of these just don't make any sense.
I don't think that he does, he is just trying to stir up the pot.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM

I'm also very unhappy with my Maxima.

The salesman told me I could use mental telepathy to remote start the car while still in my house. I have a headache from trying to get it to work.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM

^^
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM

RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! before you buy, duh!

Sure it has some flaws; good luck finding another car that doesn't!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM

this dude said the paint chips and scratches, so it must be ****ty quality.

NEWS FLASH. ALL paint chips and scratches. its ****ing paint! it only protects from UV rays and water, not ****in rocks and other cars and metal objects.

blam.gif.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10

LoL Awesome.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

This guy serious;y needs like a hobby or something to do he's got way to much time on his hands
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM

OK i need to know what did this guy downgrade from a spaceship????

He musta just had it delivered without even sitting in it... SMH lol
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM

My last car was a Subaru Outback 3.0 LL BEAN
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM

My last car was a Subaru Outback 3.0 LL BEAN

Saltdet - Many of the things on your list have been mentioned here over the years. Yes, there are little things about this car that many of us wish were different. But that 'wish list' for the 7th gen Maxima is the shortest of any car I have ever owned. And I have owned some cars.

I have been driving since the 1940s, and, among other vehicles, I have owned at least one of each of the last six generations of Maximas. In my humble opinion, the 7th generation Maxima is the best all-around sporty family car under $50,000 I have ever driven.

My 7th gen was made in Sept of 2008, and I have had nothing break, nothing malfunction, nothing squeak, nothing creak, nothing rattle, am still on my OEM RS-As, which are wearing very evenly with lots of tread left, still have 60% of my OEM brake pads left (they were checked today), have no trace of warped rotors, feel these are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in (and several auto mag testers also loved these front seats), love the heated steering wheel, the rear window sunscreen, the separately heated and cooled driver's seat, the hard drive Music Box, the double panel roof with two sunroofs, the way this car handles on curvy roads, the aggressive styling, the low stance, the pickup when I pull out to pass at 45 MPH and am hitting 80 within seconds . . .

I could go on, but you get what I am saying.

And we can sometimes change things we don't like. Yes, the Nissan OEM 'splash guards' were not designed for catching water, mud, etc coming off the tires. So I made a set of very inconspicuous mud flaps the month after I bought my car. Nobody ever notices them, but they keep the sides of the car clean.

In order to keep the price of the Maxima within reach of middle class incomes, Nissan had to cut a few corners. One is in the tires. The RS=As are perfectly fine for normal driving, but are definitely not good for aggressive driving, especially in inclimate weather.

But those folks who wish to do serious driving in this family sedan can simply purchase tires that have the characterictics they are looking for and put them on the car. Summer performance tires are a Nissan option for this car that most folks did not take advantage of. As for snow, this is NOT a 4WD Subaru. This car is not designed to be a winter vehicle as Subarus are. With good snow tires, it can hold its own with most regular 4 door family sedans in snow, but I think your expectations there are unrealistic.

The Maxima is also a larger, faster, more comfortable vehicle than the Outback you were driving. It also has more features than you can get on a Subaru. I grew up high in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where almost every family owns at least one Subaru (my brother has two). I love the way Subarus handle on those treacherous roads in winter. But I have never been especially enamoured with the Subaru on long warm-weather cross-country freeway trips.

You might consider that most posters here are, on the whole, happy and pleased with their 7th gen Maxima. Many here (including me) absolutely LOVE their 7th gen. That should tell you that perhaps you are viewing this car in a negative light, and as a result, notice only the things that may not be exactly as you wish. And your unhappiness seems to have resulted in adding things to your list that are either not really a problem, or are the same on any family car under $50,000.

I am sorry you do not like your Maxima, but I am happy that most folks here DO like their Maxima. Very much.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Really bro? Just walk theres isnt car out there for u
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Horrible in snow
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching

The points above are legitimate as I have come to this conclusion myself with the Maxima. None of these can be found during a test drive. You only find it out as you drive the car on a regular basis. I am disappointed in Nissan's "mud guards". They aren't really mud guards, just an extra piece of body molding that do nothing to protect the sides of the car from scratches and debri. I shouldn't have to go and by something aftermarket to protect this area on a $40k automobile.

Taillights fill up with moisture and Nissan says that’s normal. (This is not normal and should be taken to another Nissan dealer to fix. It will eventually short out your taillight assembly.
Nisssan customer service reps are scripted and monkeys would do better (this is true.

Front bumper too low scrapes curbs (can be said on most sedans, especially the ELLPS category which is even lower to the ground than the Maxima!)
Leather on sides of seats, mid back seat and headrests not real (virtually all cars don't have real leather on this portion of the seat, its just vinyl).
Electric outlets in bottom of arm rest and have to empty out consoles to use (same problem on other car makes I have had so not unique to the Maxima)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Guys, this car does not come from the factory with "mud flaps".
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm pretty disappointed in my 7th gen maxima as well....
I bought it, drove it for 400 miles and now the damn thing won't start and keeps showing some light that looks like a fuel tank! What a piece of crap!

OH...and it doesn't wash itself. Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Why I hate my 2012 Maxima SV