7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning noise from parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Groaning noise from parking brake

Hey everyone, I have a 2014 Maxima SV, and I have had this weird issue with my parking brake ever since I bought the car new. I finally took the car into the dealer today, and of course they said that they could not duplicate the problem, and the mentioned that all of the pads are fine. Anyways, the issue the car has is when I am setting the parking brake on an incline. Whenever I set the parking brake, I have the car in D hold the brake with one foot, and engage the parking brake with the other before placing the car in park. Once the car is on park and I release the regular brake, the car rolls slightly before it catches the parking brake and make a groaning noise. Whenever someone rides in my car, they think that is going to roll away and find it odd that it makes the noise. Honestly, for the price of this car I expected better quality and something that does not sound like a piece of junk when engaging the parking brake. Heck, the Nissan Rogues do not even make this noise or move when the brake is engaged. Is this typical behavior of the 7th gen Maximas, or is this dealer just lazy and not want to fix my vehicle?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:55 PM

noise

have you done anything to it brake wise have you run over anything have you dropped any liquid inside the ebrake handle area itself does it make the noise all the time or it could just be dealership negligence i would get a second opinion
Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Sounds like the parking brake shoes need to be adjusted, and possibly cleaned. The car shouldn't move once the brake is set.
That should all be under warranty.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
Hey everyone, I have a 2014 Maxima SV, and I have had this weird issue with my parking brake ever since I bought the car new. I finally took the car into the dealer today, and of course they said that they could not duplicate the problem, and the mentioned that all of the pads are fine. Anyways, the issue the car has is when I am setting the parking brake on an incline. Whenever I set the parking brake, I have the car in D hold the brake with one foot, and engage the parking brake with the other before placing the car in park. Once the car is on park and I release the regular brake, the car rolls slightly before it catches the parking brake and make a groaning noise. Whenever someone rides in my car, they think that is going to roll away and find it odd that it makes the noise. Honestly, for the price of this car I expected better quality and something that does not sound like a piece of junk when engaging the parking brake. Heck, the Nissan Rogues do not even make this noise or move when the brake is engaged. Is this typical behavior of the 7th gen Maximas, or is this dealer just lazy and not want to fix my vehicle?
The key here is that you need to park on an incline. I have that noise as well. Basically the further you depress the parking brake pedal, the more force is applied to parking brakes. If you don't go far enough, the parking
brakes set, but not enough to stop the car from rolling back. The groan is generated by pads rubbing/slipping against rotor.
Basic physics at work is that friction of the pads is not enough to resist weight of the car rolling down hill.
All thats needed is to adjust the clicker star wheel on the parking brakes,
to bring parking pads closer to the hat of the rotor. On Maxima you need to take wheels off and remove the rubber plug, then rotate the rotor so the hole from the plug is directly on the bottom. Then use a screwdriver or a special brake spoon to turn the star wheel. The trick is to remember which way to turn the clicker, one way tightens, while other way loosens.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM

My car does this too. Not a big deal tho. Just have them adjusted as the above post suggests.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
The key here is that you need to park on an incline. I have that noise as well. Basically the further you depress the parking brake pedal, the more force is applied to parking brakes. If you don't go far enough, the parking
brakes set, but not enough to stop the car from rolling back. The groan is generated by pads rubbing/slipping against rotor.
Basic physics at work is that friction of the pads is not enough to resist weight of the car rolling down hill.
All thats needed is to adjust the clicker star wheel on the parking brakes,
to bring parking pads closer to the hat of the rotor. On Maxima you need to take wheels off and remove the rubber plug, then rotate the rotor so the hole from the plug is directly on the bottom. Then use a screwdriver or a special brake spoon to turn the star wheel. The trick is to remember which way to turn the clicker, one way tightens, while other way loosens.
Thanks, I will try this.