8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Why Does Nissan Insist on The Altima Looking So Similar To The Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM

Why Does Nissan Insist on The Altima Looking So Similar To The Maxima?

I had thoroughly been enjoying the fact that my 2016 Maxima SR looked at least a little different than any other car on the road. Now Nissan has the 2016 Altima coming out in November and, just like in previous years, it looks just like the Maxima. Not only that, now they have added an SR model for the first time to the Altima line. Why?!

From the pictures online, it looks like only people familiar with the cars would be able to discern the differences. It seems like every other car on the road nowadays is an Altima. Now when these 2016 models hit the road, I'm going to look like another Altima running around. This complaint probably seems silly to some, but to me it's bothersome. Ugh.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
I had thoroughly been enjoying the fact that my 2016 Maxima SR looked at least a little different than any other car on the road. Now Nissan has the 2016 Altima coming out in November and, just like in previous years, it looks just like the Maxima. Not only that, now they have added an SR model for the first time to the Altima line. Why?!

From the pictures online, it looks like only people familiar with the cars would be able to discern the differences. It seems like every other car on the road nowadays is an Altima. Now when these 2016 models hit the road, I'm going to look like another Altima running around. This complaint probably seems silly to some, but to me it's bothersome. Ugh.
I agree 100%. Now people say: "What's that?". After everyone and their brother but a new 4 cyl Altima, they'll be saying: "Is that the new Altima?" My Max won't be special anymore.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 PM

I'll tell you why, because it's more popular, it's more affordable, and they sell a heck of a lot more of them. The Maxima should have been retired after the 5th gen. It was worth spawning an entirely new model line with the 3rd gen. But since then, the Maxima has progressively gotten to the point where nobody really knows why it exists.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
I'll tell you why, because it's more popular, it's more affordable, and they sell a heck of a lot more of them. The Maxima should have been retired after the 5th gen. It was worth spawning an entirely new model line with the 3rd gen. But since then, the Maxima has progressively gotten to the point where nobody really knows why it exists.
I agree with your first sentence....all true. Being a first time Maxima owner, I can't speak to your other statements. The thing that baffles me is that I have seen virtually no advertising for the Maxima. It's like Nissan wants the car to sell poorly and die off. It makes one wonder why they would bother to redesign it and have a 8th gen and then let it be a ghost. I don't believe I've ever known of a new vehicle to be released and not receive any advertising/ promotion.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:20 AM

I have never seen an ad for the Maxima either in print or on TV.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 AM

I wouldnt worry about it too much. The maxima is so vastly superior to the altima in every way in my mind it wouldn't even matter to me if they looked so "similar"

When I had to have my maxima taken care of for a couple of days, the dealer gave me an altima to drive for the mean time. That driver's attention display is a joke compared to the maxima, everything felt cheaper inside. Needles to say I really missed my car.

But almost every car company is doing this. All the lexus sedans look the same, heck all the BMW sedans look very similar until you see a 1,3,5,7 in the back haha. The new honda accord just got a refresh and it is taking a lot more styling cues from the acura line. So I guess what I am saying is try not to think about it that much and enjoy that great car of yours
Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 AM

when i sat in both the altima and the maxima when i got the 7th gen it was very obvious which was the higher end model and i wasn't a huge fan of either back then until i enjoyed the maxima all these years. they look similar- but thats really it.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:49 PM

. Not only that, now they have added an SR model for the first time to the Altima line. Why?!
Actually the SE Altima was renamed SR for the 2010 model year for its mid cycle refresh and went till 2012 in the previous Altima, only to be dropped from 13 to 15. Now its back again for 16!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BobTX10
I wouldnt worry about it too much. The maxima is so vastly superior to the altima in every way in my mind it wouldn't even matter to me if they looked so "similar"
With this update and the Altima receiving new underpinnings for its suspension and a new SR, this car may be dynamic and sporty like the 3rd Gen Altima that was top of its class for sportiness along with Mazda 6. Performance wise its a wash now as the V6 Altimas times are right with the Maxima. The Max may have a better interior and a couple more extra items than the Altima, but with this refresh a lot of those available items are now on the Altima. Nissan seems to not have learned its lesson from 02 to current, in having a hard time differentiating the 2 in the market. Its going to be a tough sell for those in the market and you have a top trim SR or SL Altima with a similar level of equipment for much less, many of them will say why Maxima.....Not what some of us in here would say but the general buying public will although!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Speaking from my personal experience, which is owning the white 2016 Maxima, I don't think they look the same at all. It looks a lot like the current gen of Altimas. The light shapes look a bit similar up front, but the back still looks different as well as the side panels and grille. Not to mention the 'floating' roof which really is the standout on the white Maximas. I thought it would be much worse when I read this topic.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by spazma7ik
Speaking from my personal experience, which is owning the white 2016 Maxima, I don't think they look the same at all. It looks a lot like the current gen of Altimas. The light shapes look a bit similar up front, but the back still looks different as well as the side panels and grille. Not to mention the 'floating' roof which really is the standout on the white Maximas. I thought it would be much worse when I read this topic.
You realize that we are speaking of the 2016 Altima that will be released in November, right? You don't think the car in these pictures looks like a 2016 Maxima? Interesting.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 AM

I see some similarities, especially in the rear. I don't see much similarity in the grille, and the sculpting on the side of the Maxima is more dramatic that the '16 Altima. I find no comparison on the interiors.

I think there may be a few here who are overlooking the fact that, in order to approach Maxima accoutriments, we won't be buying the base Altima that people snap up for under $20K; we need to get near the top of the line Altima, maybe nearer $30K MSRP. But then $30K MSRP is bumping up near the very well equipped Maxima 'S'.

I feel we are worrying too much that people may be confusing their new Maxima for an Altima. I think the more likely situation is for folks mistaking a primped out $30K Altima for one that the dealers are letting go for well under $20K.

Yes, there are a few styling cues shared by the 16 Altima and '16 Maxima, but, for me, the grilles are so different that I have already stopped looking at the Altima long before it slides by going the other way.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-27-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM

I really don't see that much similarity. They made the front of the Altima a little more aggressive to fit in line with the new Nissan family face, but other than that, the two are in two different worlds.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:10 AM

The new altima body style looks a lot better than the current one now thats for sure.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I really don't see that much similarity. They made the front of the Altima a little more aggressive to fit in line with the new Nissan family face, but other than that, the two are in two different worlds.
I have to agree.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

I think there may be a few here who are overlooking the fact that, in order to approach Maxima accoutriments, we won't be buying the base Altima that people snap up for under $20K; we need to get near the top of the line Altima, maybe nearer $30K MSRP. But then $30K MSRP is bumping up near the very well equipped Maxima 'S'.
The top trim '16 Altimas will offer more equipment than a Maxima S or SV anyday, they are offering some things that the SL/Platinum Maxima has. Available on '16 Altima " Lane-departure warning and moving-object detection continue to be available, now joined by adaptive cruise control and forward emergency braking (part of the optional technology package). Also newly available are forward-collision warning and Nissan’s Predictive Forward Collision Warning system. The latter does typical systems one better by looking not just at the vehicle directly in front but two cars ahead, the 3.5 SR also will add LED headlights sometime after launch".

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 09-27-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Not only that, now they have added an SR model for the first time to the Altima line. Why?!
Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Actually the SE Altima was renamed SR for the 2010 model year for its mid cycle refresh and went till 2012 in the previous Altima, only to be dropped from 13 to 15. Now its back again for 16!
^^ What he said. And also the Sentra has been wearing the SR badge for a few years I believe.
It's like Nissan wants the car to sell poorly and die off. It makes one wonder why they would bother to redesign it and have a 8th gen and then let it be a ghost. I don't believe I've ever known of a new vehicle to be released and not receive any advertising/ promotion.
I think the fact that Nissan actually put effort into actually creating the 8th gen and not just cancelling the Maxima outright means they do want it to sell. BUT, the Altima sells in greater numbers...

Originally Posted by BobTX10
But almost every car company is doing this. All the lexus sedans look the same, heck all the BMW sedans look very similar until you see a 1,3,5,7 in the back haha. The new honda accord just got a refresh and it is taking a lot more styling cues from the acura line. So I guess what I am saying is try not to think about it that much and enjoy that great car of yours
"Brand Identity".

I for one don't believe they look anything alike.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Well, I can see that no one agrees with me. I guess we will see if anyone changes their mind once they can see one in person. Who knows, maybe I will change MY mind.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM

Well, I can see that no one agrees with me. I guess we will see if anyone changes their mind once they can see one in person. Who knows, maybe I will change MY mind.
Not true dr. I completely agree with you. Now I get "What's that?" Once the new Altimas come out, and everybody and their brother has a new 4 cyl Altima, I'll be hearing "Is that a new Altima?" All the more reason the keep the Maxima badge on the car.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
Not true dr. I completely agree with you. Now I get "What's that?" Once the new Altimas come out, and everybody and their brother has a new 4 cyl Altima, I'll be hearing "Is that a new Altima?" All the more reason the keep the Maxima badge on the car.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM

I just got an idea. I could get personalized license plates that say "300HP". Then it wouldn't look like an Altima!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:08 PM

I just got an idea. I could get personalized license plates that say "300HP". Then it wouldn't look like an Altima!
Ha! That's true. We have 30 extra HP compared to the Altima 3.5 SL and SR. Run with it.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think so - the new Altima is sure to do well - but a Maxima it's not an Altima - and to me it's not even close - here is the CNet review - please stop the quarrel - buy the Maxima we all love - and enjoy the BEST MAXIMA EVER!

[URL="http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-nissan-altima
[/URL]

Last edited by rbaker100; 09-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Saw new 2016 altima

Saw the new Altima in person today . Front looks similar. Side and rear is different . Car looked very nice , especially the Sr. Model . Coming out with synthetic leather interior option. I'm not suppose to discuss due to confidentiality agreement.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 PM

As do I, especially in the front from the front quarter panel forward and from the rear/tail lights you can tell they are related!!!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 09-28-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
The top trim '16 Altimas will offer more equipment than a Maxima S or SV anyday, they are offering some things that the SL/Platinum Maxima has. Available on '16 Altima " Lane-departure warning and moving-object detection continue to be available, now joined by adaptive cruise control and forward emergency braking (part of the optional technology package). Also newly available are forward-collision warning and Nissan’s Predictive Forward Collision Warning system. The latter does typical systems one better by looking not just at the vehicle directly in front but two cars ahead, the 3.5 SR also will add LED headlights sometime after launch".
You are correct that the top-of-the-line Altima comes very well equipped. My son's new Accord 'Touring' level is another mid-sized, mid-priced vehicle that has many of the technological features of the Maxima at a lower price. But, as much as he loves his Accord, he says the seats in my Maxima are clearly more comfortable, more attractive and better designed than his Accord seats. This 8th gen is the first Maxima that met his approval on exterior looks.

Several here (not you) have mentioned that the Altima outsells the Maxima. That is like saying that The Impala outsells the Corvette. Nissan tries to sell at least 350,000 Altimas each year. The Altima is their 'everyman's' car. But Nissan expects to sell between 60,000 and 70,000 Maximas. The Maxima is their flagship, and Nissan wants their flagship to be something a little different and a little special - not something that fills every other slot in every parking lot as the Altima does.

MONTE - Thanks for the SR/LED info.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-28-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 PM

I think you guys are being overly dramatic. Of course there's the family resemblance between the Maxima and Altima but the similarities are no where near the same as with other companies; i.e Audi. And as far as the SR model being new it actually isn't as stated by someone else in this thread. You shouldn't be worried about misinformed people thinking your car is an Altima when they can't see the very clear differences between the two. Also I see a lot of Maxima commercials in my area so I'm not sure why you're not.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCherryMax
I think you guys are being overly dramatic. Of course there's the family resemblance between the Maxima and Altima but the similarities are no where near the same as with other companies; i.e Audi. And as far as the SR model being new it actually isn't as stated by someone else in this thread. You shouldn't be worried about misinformed people thinking your car is an Altima when they can't see the very clear differences between the two. Also I see a lot of Maxima commercials in my area so I'm not sure why you're not.
Totally agree - I think it's great that Nissan put the update to the Altima - but it's NOT A MAXIMA and never will be - and Maxima commercials started in my area with its debut in the Nissan Super Bowl commercial...

Last edited by rbaker100; 09-29-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=rbaker100;9073610]I don't think so - the new Altima is sure to do well - but a Maxima it's not an Altima - and to me it's not even close - here is the CNet review - please stop the quarrel - buy the Maxima we all love - and enjoy the BEST MAXIMA EVER!

Here is Motor Trend's spin on the difference between 2015 Altima and 2016 Maxima - I wonder if they'll change their position when the 2016 Altima hits the street??

http://beta.motortrend.com/car-lists...ma_and_altima/
Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Nissan may need to be worried about the new Accord.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/features.aspx

Rain sensing wipers, LED fogs, 6-speed manual, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, heated rear seats, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep assist, etc, all for under 36K MSRP???
Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Nissan may need to be worried about the new Accord.
Not with the way that thing looks!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:30 AM

My 2016 Maxima has rain-sensing wipers over which I actually have sensitivity control, and they work very well. My Maxima also has adaptive cruise control. Manual tranny sales stats tell us that there will not be very many folks looking hard for a manual Accord. Unless the Accord is changing the seats from the 2015, there is no comparison between the comfort of the Accord seats and those of the 2016 Maxima. My son loves his 2015 Accord, but immediately noticed the more comfortable seats in the Maxima. He also said he likes the Maxima styling better than that of his Accord.

The Accord is a very nice car, but has trhe same problems as the Altima and the Camry - It is available in various levels from well under $20K to over $30K, has no special panache or status, and sits in every other parking space in every mall parking lot in the country.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:24 AM

The accord is a nice car but the Maxima has nothing to worry about, totally different leagues. The refreshed Altima will handle the accord very well!.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The Accord is a very nice car, but has trhe same problems as the Altima and the Camry - It is available in various levels from well under $20K to over $30K, has no special panache or status, and sits in every other parking space in every mall parking lot in the country.
Well said Light - and the Acord is not a Maxima in any form..
Old 10-11-2015, 12:31 PM

the accord is perfect and sensibly priced. The maxima is spending a bit more to get more. I think the accord is better suited vs the altima as people have said. there is no 40k+ accord I know of.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:34 PM

of course the Accord can't match the style and performance of a Maxima, however, option-wise, a cost conscious buyer will see that the Accord may offer a better value and somewhat better technology for much lower.

of course i'd choose the Maxima over an Accord any day, but right now i'm in the market for either a Platinum Max or the Platinum Murano for the extra space.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 AM

I agree with your first sentence....all true. Being a first time Maxima owner, I can't speak to your other statements. The thing that baffles me is that I have seen virtually no advertising for the Maxima. It's like Nissan wants the car to sell poorly and die off. It makes one wonder why they would bother to redesign it and have a 8th gen and then let it be a ghost. I don't believe I've ever known of a new vehicle to be released and not receive any advertising/ promotion.
I have seen a few ads for the maxima. Saw 2 last night.
One is a guy that gets into a red maxima, turns it to sport mode and the maxima turns black. The other is a guy and dog in a maxima.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by zillafreak
I have seen a few ads for the maxima. Saw 2 last night.
One is a guy that gets into a red maxima, turns it to sport mode and the maxima turns black. The other is a guy and dog in a maxima.
Yes. Those, and the Super Bowl teaser ad are the only commercials that I have seen also.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:20 AM

Yes. Those, and the Super Bowl teaser ad are the only commercials that I have seen also.
I will be honest, a commercial will never sway my decision to on buying a car. It wont make me go out and buy one and it wont make me pick on over another.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM

If the pictures of the 2016 Altima are any indication of how the car will look when it's road ready, I wouldn't be too worried. I distinctly remember many people in the forum talking about how the Maxima designs were so different (even outrageous) and they didn't fit with all the other vehicles in the fleet and the similar design language in the Nissan line (from sedan to SUV). Now the redesigned Altima (and I'm sure Sentra and Versa later) will get a facelift to subtly mirror the Maxima. I don't think that's a bad thing especially since the Maxima is the most distinctive vehicle on the road and many car makers take cues from their flagship sedans to design their lower end vehicles to keep some "familial traits" in each.

On another note, I drove a Platinum and SR Maxima yesterday. I was thoroughly impressed though I must say I still love the Platinum but hate there are no paddle shifters! Everything about that car is new but still familiar. I absolutely love the camel leather but was upset it wasn't an option for the Platinum. The dealer stated "if I bought this week, he would literally take the seats out of the SR and put them in the Platinum." Looks like I'll just be getting beige leather. :-D

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 10-14-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Why Does Nissan Insist on The Altima Looking So Similar To The Maxima?