8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New Cell Phone Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM

New Cell Phone Update

I have been running a Windows phone in my Maxima and it worked great except that it will not handle texts at any level (A message even appears on the car screen saying no Windows phone support) and the APPs are hard to come by. Reluctantly I bought an unlocked new Andriod phone, a ZTE MAX2 Z958. I was pleasantly surprised that this ATT phone does it all including the texting via voice, readback, etc from the Maxima's phone controls.! The 5.5 inch screen phone cost 103 bucks shipped! I did have one glitch to solve as then new phone would pair OK with My Maxima then disconnect , then connect, over and over. After much research I learned that you must turn this phone's sleep mode off. Now it works as it should.
The reason I am sharing this is that the Bluetooth area on the Nissan website is about worthless. No info on most phones as to compatibility. I see many folks having issues with their phones so this is a cheap fix for me. It works!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 PM

I don't understand the apparent randomness of the connectivity, as some people report what you did, which jibes with what the Nissan info said. But I have an HTC One M8 windows phone and it works fine in my car. Audio hooks up fine, can use voice to make phone calls and text. My wife's LG android and my son's Samsung android also hook up fine. When was your car built? Do you think maybe there was a software change somewhere along the way? Mine was built in March '16.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by acamarillo
I don't understand the apparent randomness of the connectivity, as some people report what you did, which jibes with what the Nissan info said. But I have an HTC One M8 windows phone and it works fine in my car. Audio hooks up fine, can use voice to make phone calls and text. My wife's LG android and my son's Samsung android also hook up fine. When was your car built? Do you think maybe there was a software change somewhere along the way? Mine was built in March '16.
My 2016 - built in Oct 2015 - is terrible with my iPhone 6s and wife's iPhone 7.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by acamarillo
I believe mine was built in October of 2015. That said, the main computer has been reflashed for various recalls so we should all have about the same version provided your car has been serviced by your dealer. What I learned from all this is that people are making decisions on car buying based on if their phone works. If I was an Apple fan boy and it didn't work I would chuck it and go for Android since it is very cost effective to get an alternate phone that works and much cheaper than changing the car.

Thanks for the additional comments as it helps us all with what can be a frustrating adventure with Blutooth compatibility.