Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Awesome, that'll make getting some extra thump a lot cheaper and easier. Still gonna have to change out the rest, but later, when I can afford it Thanks for the fast response!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just replaced Bose HU in my '96 Maxima

Everything is working well, but I had a couple of questions. Thanks in advance for your answers.

1) I have a black ground wire coming out of HU, and a black wire and another black/white wire coming out of the harness. The Crutchfield guy told me to connect these together, which I did. Everything works fine, but I'm wondering if I need to connect these to the chassis. I understand from this thread that the Bose HU was grounded through its metal case. I imagine my new HU (Clarion CZ401) also has a grounded metal case, which I think would mean that my system is sufficiently grounded, despite not having a ground wire connected to the chassis. Am I right?

2) I have determined that the amp on my right rear speaker is dead. The speaker is still good, I believe. Would it be possible or advisable to a) bypass the Scosche amp interface (I wish I had seen this forum earlier and had bought the Metra one, but the Scosche seems to be working OK) and b) bypass the amp on the back of my rear right speaker, so that essentially the HU amp will be powering the speaker. Would that work or is the impedance wrong, or something else? If I swapped out that speaker for a run-of-the-mill aftermarket speaker, would this work?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Hey all, I need some help or advice on my 2006 Maxima with the Bose system no Navigation. All of a sudden I have no sound coming out of my speaker. I went thru all the fuse in the car and all is good. I mean, CD/ Radio/Cassette, Screen, Bluetooth, etc is working, but just no sound is coming out. At first I thought the Bose amp took a dump, but when I it tested on my friend maxima, its was working in his car. But when I test hissed Bose amp in my car, it didn't work same result as my stock amp. So Im thinking it may be the factory Bose headunit. But I don't want to jump the gun and go buyme a $400 double din
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

It's either the head unit or the speaker.

Swap in another speaker. If it's the same problem, it's your head unit. Bose units are common for having channels go out.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
It's either the head unit or the speaker.

Swap in another speaker. If it's the same problem, it's your head unit. Bose units are common for having channels go out.
I assume it might be one of that problem, just wanted to get someone else opinion. Thanx bro!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Suspension Yoda

No problem, good luck!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM

I have coming in; the Metra A33 kit, a double-din HU, 4 6.5's (6" 'sub' is here already), and soon a multi-ch amp.

Don't I still need some sort of adapter for the HU?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, a standard Nissan wire harness....and an antenna adapter.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM

hey, all. got an aftermarket hu for our i30 (97) that came with a nissan based harness (7550 w/o rca cables). the hu works, but there is no sound... can i re-wire it for the infiniti w/o buying the 7551 harness? (nothing local, and online will take 3-4 days at least). can i just buy some rca cables and wire them in?

Smaller Harness:

16_______12
15_14_13_11

11 = Shield Wire Ground (ground wire runs with signal cables(+ and -) for rear BOSE amplifiers to shield their signal)
12 = Amp On Signal Wire (turns on all 4 BOSE amplifiers)
13 = Left Rear -
14 = Left Rear +
15 = Rear Right -
16 = Rear Right +
11 and 12 on my small harness are just dangling in the air right now.

Larger Harness:

10_8 ___4_2
9_7_6_5_3_1

1 = Front Left -
2 = Front Left +
3 = Front Right -
4 = Front Right +
5 = Power Antenna
6 = Battery (this ensures you keep your presets when your car is turned off)
7 = Illumination Constant (wont dim when lights are on, most cases you would use this)
8 = Illumination Switch (will dim your radio when your lights are on)
9 = Shield Wire Ground (ground wire runs with signal cables(+ and -) for front BOSE amplifiers to shield their signal)
10 = ACC/Ignition (the red wire)
i'm also missing the #9 connector, it's just empty.

Last edited by 99zx2; 02-04-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM

so i've wired the rcas and once plugged in i only get front speakers and the sound is weird - it's quite and there is popping in the speakers when you mess with the hu's settings.
once i unplug them - the sound is great. i'm sure i've wired the rcas correctly. haven't soldered the connections yet though.

i think the part i'm missing is the amp wire. if i were to use the bose amps, where does that wire go? since we're bypassing the hu's amp wire. i've grounded both front and back shield wires as well. any help is appreciated.

the hu i'm using: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nI9O7HQ...ml#details-tab

says the preamp voltage is 2.2v. i've read earlier in this thread that you need the 7551 metra only if the preamps are greater than 4v?

edit: i guess, i'm an idiot lol i "forgot" that the amp wire that is coming from the hu is for a dedicated amp, in our case = bose. so, should i keep using the existing harness w/o rcas or buy a loc, since 2.2v isn't adequate?

Last edited by 99zx2; 02-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by XxxSunNyxxX
Hey all, I need some help or advice on my 2006 Maxima with the Bose system no Navigation. All of a sudden I have no sound coming out of my speaker. I went thru all the fuse in the car and all is good. I mean, CD/ Radio/Cassette, Screen, Bluetooth, etc is working, but just no sound is coming out. At first I thought the Bose amp took a dump, but when I it tested on my friend maxima, its was working in his car. But when I test hissed Bose amp in my car, it didn't work same result as my stock amp. So Im thinking it may be the factory Bose headunit. But I don't want to jump the gun and go buyme a $400 double din

Here's a write-up on how to fix the speaker cutting out, by another member.

http://www.shiftice.com/bose_cutout_fix.html
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm in the process of pulling out the rear deck. I pulled out the rear seat/back, took all the screws/bolts/brake light/etc, but I think the rear deck is still held in by the 2 pieces of trim that are to each side of the rear deck.

Anyone have experience taking this off? I'm afraid of breaking something ><
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM

installed everything today (7550 w/o rcas). sounds good, except for the interference type noise coming from all speakers when nothing is playing. it gets louder when the volume increases also. noise sounds like a fm radio without any signal. i have not installed the antenna adapter yet. also, should the power antenna wire be wired up with the amp on wire?
thank you, guys!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by AznRyan
I'm in the process of pulling out the rear deck. I pulled out the rear seat/back, took all the screws/bolts/brake light/etc, but I think the rear deck is still held in by the 2 pieces of trim that are to each side of the rear deck.

Anyone have experience taking this off? I'm afraid of breaking something ><
C-pillars do have to be removed. Just pull starting at the top. They're clips like any other clip.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
installed everything today (7550 w/o rcas). sounds good, except for the interference type noise coming from all speakers when nothing is playing. it gets louder when the volume increases also. noise sounds like a fm radio without any signal. i have not installed the antenna adapter yet. also, should the power antenna wire be wired up with the amp on wire?
thank you, guys!
just a quick follow-up. the noise, once the car is started (but no music is playing) does change with the rpm, but can't be heard once the music is playing. i've read up a few thing online and believe i need to re-do the ground location. right now it's bolted to one the studs that's holding the bose amp, i believe. right below the stereo.

i've grounded both front and back shield wires as well. any help is appreciated.
should i still keep them grounded? they are grounded at the same location as the hu's ground wire. should i separate the grounding points for all 3 of them?

appreciate any input.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, you should always use common grounds.

I think the noise is being introduced through the RCA's. Did you use a shielded set?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Yes, you should always use common grounds.

I think the noise is being introduced through the RCA's. Did you use a shielded set?
gotcha, going to keep them together then.

i'm not using rca's since the stereo already came with the 7550 kit, i believe. the po used it without any problems. i've tried wiring the rcas into the speaker wires, then hooking everything up like a 7551 model, but the sound was very low and there was popping everywhere. i don't think this stereo has enough juice (only 2.2v). it sounds goo enough, but if there is any danger to the stereo/speakers running it like that, let me know.

should i also wire the power antenna to the amp-on wire?

thanks, man!

edit: just remembered that i haven't hooked up the antenna yet, since i don't have the adapter for it. could the dangling antenna thing be the cause as well, if it's touching something metallic in the back? i tried to loop it around some wires, but it might have gotten loose and dropped.

Last edited by 99zx2; 02-06-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

You have Bose? What brand/model deck?

You should power the power antenna to the power antenna wire.
And the remote turn on to the remote turn on wire.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 AM

You have Bose? What brand/model deck?

You should power the power antenna to the power antenna wire.
And the remote turn on to the remote turn on wire.
It's my wife's car. 97 Infiniti I30. I've contacted a member about purchasing his bose, but he also happened to have an aftermarket deck, which he said was plug'n'play. here is the hu: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PIp0VBV...ml#details-tab

i've received everything on Sat. and began the journey lol

According to this diagram, there is no power antenna wire for this hu, but that wire is on the harness, according to the op's diagram.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Suspension Yoda

You didn't explicitly state the car has Bose, but I'll imply that you do, considering you were trying to purchase a Bose deck from another member.

I don't remember the last time I've seen an aftermarket head unit that doesn't have separate power antenna/remote turn on wires, and I don't see the diagram you're referring to.

But think of it this way. Power antenna is like a remote turn on wire, but only when the radio is in AM/FM mode. If there isn't a power antenna wire, there is no harm to use the remote turn on wire for both the power antenna and the amp, except if you have a motorized up/down antenna, in which case the antenna will always be up, even when not in AM/FM mode.

It's my wife's car. 97 Infiniti I30. I've contacted a member about purchasing his bose, but he also happened to have an aftermarket deck, which he said was plug'n'play. here is the hu: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PIp0VBV...ml#details-tab

i've received everything on Sat. and began the journey lol

According to this diagram, there is no power antenna wire for this hu, but that wire is on the harness, according to the op's diagram.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 AM

You didn't explicitly state the car has Bose, but I'll imply that you do, considering you were trying to purchase a Bose deck from another member.

I don't remember the last time I've seen an aftermarket head unit that doesn't have separate power antenna/remote turn on wires, and I don't see the diagram you're referring to.

But think of it this way. Power antenna is like a remote turn on wire, but only when the radio is in AM/FM mode. If there isn't a power antenna wire, there is no harm to use the remote turn on wire for both the power antenna and the amp, except if you have a motorized up/down antenna, in which case the antenna will always be up, even when not in AM/FM mode.
sorry for being vague about the stock hu. thought all i30's had bose.
here's the link to the diagram pic:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...apturewmc.jpg/
taken from this pdf: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...Manual1023.pdf

i don't think her antenna moves up and down any more, so i might just leave that wire disconnected.

aslo, according to this:

This harness is all well and good, but it is taking the raw power signal from your headunits internal amp and sending it to the BOSE amplifiers. This harness is geared for aftermarket headunits without 4 sepaker preamp out jacks. This method will work, BUT, you get alot of distortion because it's a high level signal. TOO much signal produces distortion, too little signal will prevent the volume from reaching a decent level. As I said before, this will work, but you will get a crappier signal.
i should be getting distortion, but it plays nice. should i bother getting a 7551 harness at all? since my failed rca experiment, i don't think i should, since i would need to purchase a loc in addition to the 7551 harness to make up for the weak 2.2 preamp voltage. any harm running it w/o rcas like this?

thanks a lot for all your help, man!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Suspension Yoda

Well, guess you're right. No power antenna wire on this deck. Use the remote turn on for both - or just the one since the antenna doesn't work anyway, doesn't really matter.

The quote about levels is dead on, and is the CRUX of this very thread.

7551 won't help, Preout levels are too low. Assuming you do infact have Bose, you need an LOC. If you don't have bose, then straight speaker wire from the head unit into the 7550 is the correct way to do it.

sorry for being vague about the stock hu. thought all i30's had bose.
here's the link to the diagram pic:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...apturewmc.jpg/
taken from this pdf: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...Manual1023.pdf

i don't think her antenna moves up and down any more, so i might just leave that wire disconnected.

aslo, according to this:

i should be getting distortion, but it plays nice. should i bother getting a 7551 harness at all? since my failed rca experiment, i don't think i should, since i would need to purchase a loc in addition to the 7551 harness to make up for the weak 2.2 preamp voltage. any harm running it w/o rcas like this?

thanks a lot for all your help, man!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Well, guess you're right. No power antenna wire on this deck. Use the remote turn on for both - or just the one since the antenna doesn't work anyway, doesn't really matter.

The quote about levels is dead on, and is the CRUX of this very thread.

7551 won't help, Preout levels are too low. Assuming you do infact have Bose, you need an LOC. If you don't have bose, then straight speaker wire from the head unit into the 7550 is the correct way to do it.
I do have bose, but 7550 seems to work good (wasn't my choice, the previous owner had it wired for this headunit). it gets rather loud before i can hear any distortion.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Suspension Yoda

Then leave it as is. It's not technically proper, but to each their own.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Then leave it as is. It's not technically proper, but to each their own.

Good luck.
don't get me wrong, i'll gladly re-wire it if there are ill-effects associated with the current setup. Appreciate all your help!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM

changing the ground location last night didn't help. still have noise from the speakers. it doesn't increase with rpm anymore though.
i did order the 7551 harness, slc-4 loc, and some other parts needed to get this done. will keep you updated.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by AznRyan
Here's a write-up on how to fix the speaker cutting out, by another member.

http://www.shiftice.com/bose_cutout_fix.html
Yo thanx for the link. Im going to read it now. BTW, I bought me a double din and guess wat???? Same F'ing results...I am so tired of my car audio. WHY ISN'T THERE ANY SOUND COMING OUT OF MY SPEAKERS!!!! Im about to lose it. Everything on the double din works, juss no sound. And now Im gonna go look up at that link.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Yo thanx for the link. Im going to read it now. BTW, I bought me a double din and guess wat???? Same F'ing results...I am so tired of my car audio. WHY ISN'T THERE ANY SOUND COMING OUT OF MY SPEAKERS!!!! Im about to lose it. Everything on the double din works, juss no sound. And now Im gonna go look up at that link.
what wiring harness did you use? is your amp turning on?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM

what wiring harness did you use? is your amp turning on?
I use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 harness.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM

I use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 harness.
everything is wired up, and the amp turn-on is connected from the stereo to the harness?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM

changing the ground location last night didn't help. still have noise from the speakers. it doesn't increase with rpm anymore though.
i did order the 7551 harness, slc-4 loc, and some other parts needed to get this done. will keep you updated.
got everything wired up last night. 7551 + slc-4 = awesomeness! no more noise and it sounds bad *** with this hu. i think not having the antenna hooked up when i did the 7550 harness was the cause of the noise (since it's bose's ground as well).
thank you, djfrestyl for all your help and patience

p.s. now i need to see why the antenna is not retracting. the power ant wire is hooked up to the amp turn-on right now.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

It's not retracting because the amp turn-on is on all the time. Nothing you can do about this.

If your HU had a separate power antenna wire, then it would only give power to that wire when the radio function is enabled.

Makes sense, right?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM

It's not retracting because the amp turn-on is on all the time. Nothing you can do about this.

If your HU had a separate power antenna wire, then it would only give power to that wire when the radio function is enabled.

Makes sense, right?
didn't know the amp turn-on was constantly on. i thought it worked only when the hu was on.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

C-pillars do have to be removed. Just pull starting at the top. They're clips like any other clip.
So just pull on the top of the c-pillars? It does have a clip on the bottom (the button-tab in the overlapping-round-holes thing. Sorry I'm not really technical )

Name:  IMAG0146.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 AM

Nevermind, after going through a few more searches I found the answer.

Here's a pic, to help anyone else out that wants to remove the c-pillar.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Suspension Yoda

didn't know the amp turn-on was constantly on. i thought it worked only when the hu was on.
I should have clarified. You are correct, and that is what I meant.

You're telling me your antenna is up even when the HU is fully turned off? Are you sure you don't have it connected to ACC or +12v?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM

I should have clarified. You are correct, and that is what I meant.

You're telling me your antenna is up even when the HU is fully turned off? Are you sure you don't have it connected to ACC or +12v?
lol the antenna doesn't work, it's down all the time. that's what i've meant by not retracting
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Suspension Yoda

lol the antenna doesn't work, it's down all the time. that's what i've meant by not retracting
Ah, reverse problem. Have to identify if it's the antenna itself or the wiring. Was it working before? Hook the antenna wire up to constant and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Ah, reverse problem. Have to identify if it's the antenna itself or the wiring. Was it working before? Hook the antenna wire up to constant and see what happens.
not sure if it ever worked since we got the car. i don't think it did. i'll do some troubleshooting later. thanks a lot, man!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Suspension Yoda

Check fuses first, then go from there.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread