Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

5.7 Gen 293 hp/ 269 Tq closed exhaust, stock cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
you're right! Yes I am. but I just feedback with you about something effectively for gain power on 300 whp! I hope you have break 300 whp w/o cam! Im bannerless! j/k
hahah, yeah i could of done 300 but i was plenty happy. Gotta leave some room for improvement! Im not DONE, more stuff to play around with! Now 300 with cutout closed THAT will be something!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Pretty sure he meant 3.0 timing, as in 3.5 swapped with 3.0 timing, i.e , no IVT.

how did u figure sherlock holmes??? lol... obviously thats what i was talking about too lol...
Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Nice! Been watching the progress of this swap with some interest. I've been meaning to ask can the Haltech run these HR motors as a full standalone? My car is now exempt in Mass from any emissons testing, so I can run a full standalone and still be street legal.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax

Nice! Been watching the progress of this swap with some interest. I've been meaning to ask can the Haltech run these HR motors as a full standalone? My car is now exempt in Mass from any emissons testing, so I can run a full standalone and still be street legal.
damn... car's gotta be 20yrs old here... i got about another 10
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
See here it is again, what are you arguing over it makes absolutely no sense.
One day I will shine the light in your faces, I still think it's possible w/ all of this variable stuff goin on here, once the wiz kid here figures out how to tune the cam timing we'll see some stuff then.

You at one point in time admitted it, but arguing w/ the booty pounder is worse than talking to a brick wall.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
how did u figure sherlock holmes??? lol... obviously thats what i was talking about too lol...
So, you're not speaking as a 3.0 guy since you don't have a 3.5 w/ 3.0 timing....or do you?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Sweet!

Also remember guys, the heads on this VQ are completely different from those that are on our 2nd gen VQs. And it definitely shows. Our bottom ends can definitely pump some air. But these heads with their flow characteristics and variable cam timing free up all that power that was being left on the table.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Turbo 3.5

Wow
Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
One day I will shine the light in your faces, I still think it's possible w/ all of this variable stuff goin on here, once the wiz kid here figures out how to tune the cam timing we'll see some stuff then.

You at one point in time admitted it, but arguing w/ the booty pounder is worse than talking to a brick wall.
wAts wrong wit booty, a man's butt?

what did i admit thou? what i keep telling you is torq is going to drop off because thats how internal combustion engine's work, there is no way to hold peak torque all the way to redline, pay careful attention to this part, on a high performance engine. That means using all of its useable rev range not a factory capped one eg VQ37VHR. Guarantee you extend that rev limiter the drop of will start to look stats quo.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Damn the numbers are epic great work!

Name:  TDJakes.gif
Views: 745
Size:  586.5 KB
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Stoked to see this!

In terms of FWD N/A stock cam records go..(i think you've got it ..haha)... don't know how widely known http://forums.nicoclub.com/time-for-...542554-30.html this is (and I have no idea what the mods are). Regardless of the dyno/number differences, it's really interesting to see the curve w/ the altima UIM sans EVT and the way the power starts to plateau and climb again at 5500. Even w/ the smaller plenum, elbow, TB opening (unsure if the powervalves are active and what the TB/intake is) - it doesn't seem to choke out. Considering the new gens valve +seat angle/port shape/dual power valves and the longer straighter LIM, I'm starting to believe more and more that the pressure levels in these new IM's are finely tuned with the heads and I/EVT to yield some serious air ram/dynamic supercharging - it only makes sense that this new design wasn't blind engineering or cost cutting like the old UIM... so it's really hard to know what SSIM'ing this thing gained/loss/shifted (my wild guess is shifted-right and gained peak-torque, losing a slight touch of peak HP).

That torque is soooo damn fat! now i'm just reallly curious what the top end HP/TQ relationship would be w/ OEM power-valve O/C points or even BOP's ....without CVT, haha....seeing 100hp/l on stock cams without fine timing adjustments is absolutely unreal ... keep going!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM

dope! . So yeah, you should post some videos of this beast moving up the road. on a closed-off course, of course. lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
Stoked to see this!

In terms of FWD N/A stock cam records go..(i think you've got it ..haha)... don't know how widely known http://forums.nicoclub.com/time-for-...542554-30.html this is (and I have no idea what the mods are). Regardless of the dyno/number differences, it's really interesting to see the curve w/ the altima UIM sans EVT and the way the power starts to plateau and climb again at 5500. Even w/ the smaller plenum, elbow, TB opening (unsure if the powervalves are active and what the TB/intake is) - it doesn't seem to choke out. Considering the new gens valve +seat angle/port shape/dual power valves and the longer straighter LIM, I'm starting to believe more and more that the pressure levels in these new IM's are finely tuned with the heads and I/EVT to yield some serious air ram/dynamic supercharging - it only makes sense that this new design wasn't blind engineering or cost cutting like the old UIM... so it's really hard to know what SSIM'ing this thing gained/loss/shifted (my wild guess is shifted-right and gained peak-torque, losing a slight touch of peak HP).

That torque is soooo damn fat! now i'm just reallly curious what the top end HP/TQ relationship would be w/ OEM power-valve O/C points or even BOP's ....without CVT, haha....seeing 100hp/l on stock cams without fine timing adjustments is absolutely unreal ... keep going!

That altima is def putting some good power down, esp for what i think is stock manifolds?? Im just not sure how that dynopack compares to a DJ. since the wheels are taking off ill assume it reads a lil higher?

Def ready to see more of these motors in cars! Im not pushing the NA limits of this motor yet! Even with stock cams, ima see what it will really do.

Originally Posted by emdot
dope! . So yeah, you should post some videos of this beast moving up the road. on a closed-off course, of course. lol.
hahh yeah, its just hard to tell much from vids like that though.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM

speaking from a "3.0 guys" perspective and this doesnt apply to everybody, but when you want this done but you are paying someone and they just basically say they wont do the full swap (ive asked) then "us 3.0 guys" are just straight up short folk lol... anyways back on topic... extremely sexy numbers here
No you're not just read on here like I did and do it yourself lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Thanks!

Crazy thing is, the tune is decent but not right at all. My Cam timing maps are not optimal by far. Its going rich right at WOT.

I really need a VQ, Haltech tuner to get it RIGHT.
Since you already got so much invested in the motor and everything. I would take a trip up to Hal at Dynosty in KY and let him tune that thing! I'm sure he would definitely get it OVER 300whp with the cutout closed!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM

THIS IS ^(*^(&^(*@%# EPIC!!! I think Im going to have to switch motors in my 4th gen. Darren just so its all in one place could you post all of your mods.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by ajcool2
THIS IS ^(*^(&^(*@%# EPIC!!! I think Im going to have to switch motors in my 4th gen. Darren just so its all in one place could you post all of your mods.
hahah now we are talking! my email and cell # is posted if u got any questions!

yeah sorry i guess thats a good idea huh! ahah ill update the first post.

ok first post updated! mod list seems long but a lot of it is just 09 motor differences that i put because well they are the differences, so its a mod kinda

Last edited by SurraTT; 02-24-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Here is a haltech log of the 293 hp run.

Shows AFR differences between banks, also my exhaust cam positions look kinda funny, very jittery and different between banks

at 6000 rpm its 13.6 and 13.3 afr, making ~290 hp. wonder what a 12.9 would do?

Name:  run15haltechlog.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  150.1 KB
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Dammmnnnnn.....Nice Numbers....
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
wAts wrong wit booty, a man's butt?

what did i admit thou? what i keep telling you is torq is going to drop off because thats how internal combustion engine's work, there is no way to hold peak torque all the way to redline, pay careful attention to this part, on a high performance engine. That means using all of its useable rev range not a factory capped one eg VQ37VHR. Guarantee you extend that rev limiter the drop of will start to look stats quo.

Re-read my thread, you don't understand what I want.

We're clouding up these awesome stock motor #'s w/ our nonsense.

I don't like loosing 50+ ft/lbs in my powerband, I've posted dynos of cars loosing 20 ft/lbs (cars that actually make tq, not talkin about a DEK which does loose very little but has none to begin with... Which is why I got away from Hondas) or less from peak to set redline already, it's possible even w/ a simplier motor, I still believe there's a lot more in this motor just because of the million possibilities he has to fool with on it, he has the peak curves but now if we can just get the area under the curve, this will be one monster at every aspect of driving.

I'm particular to area under the curve because of my new found love for road racing, these IVT's and EVTs and what not fully doin work can always have me w/ an awesome amount of power exiting a corner at any throttle position which would make a lot of more expensive car owners very upset (which is what I loved doing w/ the red car until it's demise after the road course).

I get this from years and years of attending many meets where I see high power cars dyno, track, autox and road course, it's clear what benefits there are to a good driver w/ a motor that makes power across the board.

Now I'm sitting here at the edge of my laptop biting my nails wondering what's next, maybe we've found the holy grail of N/A V6's, I can only wait, because this car gets better and better with each dyno.

Made my point, I'm out until the next dyno

Last edited by aackshun; 02-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

Re-read my thread, you don't understand what I want.

We're clouding up these awesome stock motor #'s w/ our nonsense.

I don't like loosing 50+ ft/lbs in my powerband, I've posted dynos of cars loosing 20 ft/lbs (cars that actually make tq, not talkin about a DEK which does loose very little but has none to begin with... Which is why I got away from Hondas) or less from peak to set redline already, it's possible even w/ a simplier motor, I still believe there's a lot more in this motor just because of the million possibilities he has to fool with on it, he has the peak curves but now if we can just get the area under the curve, this will be one monster at every aspect of driving.

I'm particular to area under the curve because of my new found love for road racing, these IVT's and EVTs and what not fully doin work can always have me w/ an awesome amount of power exiting a corner at any throttle position which would make a lot of more expensive car owners very upset (which is what I loved doing w/ the red car until it's demise after the road course).

I get this from years and years of attending many meets where I see high power cars dyno, track, autox and road course, it's clear what benefits there are to a good driver w/ a motor that makes power across the board.

Now I'm sitting here at the edge of my laptop biting my nails wondering what's next, maybe we've found the holy grail of N/A V6's, I can only wait, because this car gets better and better with each dyno.

Made my point, I'm out until the next dyno
The only way you are gonna get that kind of "powerband" is if you set your rev limiter at 6000rpm.

And again, torque is not a problem in the DEK.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 AM

The head/intake manifold design on these new 3.5s is ferocious.

Excellent work...makes me want to get one of these & go standalone WITH cams...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Very impressive. I think i'll be putting one of these motors on my long term todo list.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 AM

Cutout closed

Cutout open

Look at the smoothness of that torque curve on the second graph!!!! I think you could get the first graph torque curve to look like that with more tuning....AWESOME!!

Dude you could make some good money doing the 09 swap in 5.5gen Maximas!! If I was keeping my car all motor I would no doubt drive down there and drop it off!!! I know I'm not the only one!! Some kind of custom intake manifold would make that power even greater! I would do some cams while the engine was out
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Sigh....custom intake manifold...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
Sigh....custom intake manifold...
and the best part is this one isnt $1000 bucks....wanna swap that engine Doug?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Look at the smoothness of that torque curve on the second graph!!!! I think you could get the first graph torque curve to look like that with more tuning....AWESOME!!

Dude you could make some good money doing the 09 swap in 5.5gen Maximas!! If I was keeping my car all motor I would no doubt drive down there and drop it off!!! I know I'm not the only one!! Some kind of custom intake manifold would make that power even greater! I would do some cams while the engine was out
Yeah, it def def needs more tuning! I actually reduced evt advance uptop, so there might be more power to be made just by that. I need to figure out the limits of the variable cam system. Ive never herd of anyone damaging their motors due to adjusting cam timing maps.

Hahah the 09 motor would do GREAT with F/I

Originally Posted by sergofast
and the best part is this one isnt $1000 bucks....wanna swap that engine Doug?

Haha yeah that's the thing, this motor cost more then a custom i/m but its a totally better starting point. Since the 5.5's are getting older and most of the motors burn oil, and are worn out. This swap should really become something that we see more often!

Plans are:

Put stock cattman y pipe on

go to dyno and do some tuning
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

OK so im trying to figure out much as i can about the variable cams.

This whole time i though EVT was for low end power. but this is strait from the FSM

" This makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the exhaust
valve to increase engine torque and output in a range of high engine speed."

The stock haltech map runs 15 degrees of advancement from 3500 rpm all the way to redline.

Im backed it down to 11 and 10 from 6000 and up. (because i thought it was for low end power, so i advanced it more in the low / mid range. I tried to copy the stock ecu maps that i have gotten with osiris. So i guess that was not a good idea, as i could be leaving some power in there. I need to put it back to stock 15. And maybe even more then that.

My concern is damaging the motor due to piston to valve damage? Ive never herd of anyone messing up a VQ35 due to changing cam timing maps. But i need to find out if its possible and what are the limits.

With being able to tune IVT and EVT i think this motor is really capable of even more power and tq. Main thing is better curves.

Ive read where EVT and power output is mixed. some say there IS power in EVT some say there is no power in evt and to leave it at 0.........

So by my little test there def is power in EVT, now its a matter of finding how much and how the graph changes.

Name:  run9andthenevtoff.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  139.2 KB

That run with evt working was running 15-20 in low end, 13-11 mid , and 11-9 at 6k+

So i need to decrease the low end advancement and add back to 15 in top end!

WHO IS WITH ME????????????
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM

I just got off work. Nice job Suratt!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Crazy, All the work you've done that we've witnessed or heard of confirmation you've got nothing to prove. your innovations are pretty slick, the crap you've had the ***** to pull off - you get nothing but props from this guy. Good job on your hard work and tenacity. Get after it playa. Good Job. enjoy the ride.

I'm proud of you kid.

Well here it is! Took 3 dyno trips over the last 6 months but ive finally got the car where i want it! I stuck with it and didnt quit. My VERY first pull on stock ecu was 234 hp i beleive, now im at 293 with the Haltech.

CUTOUT CLOSED = STD 293 / 269 , SAE 287 / 263

CUTOUT OPEN= STD 298 / 271 , SAE 292 / 266

I have STOCK CAMS!!!!

Done 20 pulls, not a lot of tuning, at one point made 271 TQ with closed cutout. First pull was 287, then 289 on 2ed, so with a little tuning i hit 292 several times at 293 one time.

The SSIM 09 manifold is NUTSSSSSSSSSSS I make 290 hp at 6000, by 71000 rpm im making 286! so over 1100 rpm top end i lose ONLY 4 HP! I would like to extend the limiter even more and see how power falls off!

I figured now that i'm "up here" ill have to prove it even more so i have vids to prove whats going on, 1 with cutout closed and a 292 hp run, and then cutout open at 297 run, took these to prove there is no dyno tricks, no airfilter off none of that crap. I literally done pull after pull after pull, then cool down to open cutout, then 3 more pulls. I was expecting to brake 300 with cutout open cuz last time i got 8whp from it, this time i didnt get much at all.

Cutout closed

Cutout open

Oh with smoothing at 0 on this run max power = 308 / 271 hahaa

Id like to get a run file of a 5.5 gen, 6 mt, ssim, 3.5 maf, tuned, ANYONE HAVE ONE? that's the most fair comparison of old motor vs 09 that i can think of.

Ill upload my run files today, and post links to vids when dyno shop uploads em. ALSO i have Haltech logs that i will post to, you cal dl the software and view them.

Here are the Run files and Haltech logs, its a google docs folder

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bzm...M21mR0x6ZkliQQ

MOD LIST at time of dyno runs!

5.7 Gen Mod list:

Engine-
- 2009 Maxima VQ35
- 75 mm Throttle body
- Composite intake manifold (first one SSIM'd)
- 52 mm intake ports on heads
- 10.6:1 Compression
- 09 stock cams
- 380 cc DW injectors
- ARP rodbolts
- ACL Race bearings
- Cattman genIII headers
- Cattman 3" catback
- 3" ypipe with cutout (unequal length)
- Removed stock oil warmer
- 3.5 Intake Piping
- Velocity Stack
- 6" AEM Dryflow Filter
- 4.133 Final drive
- Fidanza flywheel
- Spec stage 3 clutch

Engine Management-

- Haltech 350Z ECU
- VoltageDrop.net Plug and Play Haltech harness
- Haltech Dual channel Wideband
- Dual channel wb gauge
- Exhaust Valve Timing ran by Haltech only
Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Since you already got so much invested in the motor and everything. I would take a trip up to Hal at Dynosty in KY and let him tune that thing! I'm sure he would definitely get it OVER 300whp with the cutout closed!
def not a bad idea! Hal is pretty cool, he's the one that got me into the org and started me down the turbo path (which will happen... one day, haha). certainly wouldn't hurt to send him a couple of emails.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
I just got off work. Nice job Suratt!
thanks!

Originally Posted by maxurlife
Crazy, All the work you've done that we've witnessed or heard of confirmation you've got nothing to prove. your innovations are pretty slick, the crap you've had the ***** to pull off - you get nothing but props from this guy. Good job on your hard work and tenacity. Get after it playa. Good Job. enjoy the ride.

I'm proud of you kid.

haha yeah! Without the org this would of never happened, shoot without the org no telling what car id have right now!

I think the its never been done before is some of the best motivation! Take a look in the honda world, they are FULL of crazy stuff like this.

You are in NC??? where at?

I made this thread as i know there are some good tuners over there.

http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/54935...e-step-in.html

The dyno vids should be up sometime soon, the dyno shop is gonna upload them.

Im actually ready to get back on the dyno for some cam timing messing around!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM

random question darren... when u tested the cutout and the 3" was there any tuning adjustment done between both or i take it with the cutout the afr slightly changed (which could only make sense)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Darren, congrats on the new numbers!! (BTW, this is the first post I have had on the Ord since July of 2007, I am officially un-retired now).
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

random question darren... when u tested the cutout and the 3" was there any tuning adjustment done between both or i take it with the cutout the afr slightly changed (which could only make sense)
Actually no thats probably why it only made 5 hp too, last time i added fuel with the cutout open, but i added too much then had to take some out. This time i just left it. I actually added 1 degree of timing but it made less power, the first run with cutout open was no changes, then it made 297, thats what the video will show when uploaded.

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
Darren, congrats on the new numbers!! (BTW, this is the first post I have had on the Ord since July of 2007, I am officially un-retired now).
Wow hey! haha Well im glad you are coming back! And to post in my thread too! This must be the guy reving to 7500 with stock rod bolts!?!?! I still don't beleive see how your motor is still together! i bet your tach is off! Thats been "getting" me ever since you said it on FB!!

Last edited by SurraTT; 02-27-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM

Wow hey! haha Well im glad you are coming back! And to post in my thread too! This must be the guy reving to 7500 with stock rod bolts!?!?! I still don't beleive see how your motor is still together! i bet your tach is off! Thats been "getting" me ever since you said it on FB!!
I have to recall my statement on FB. I looked at my best dyno session and I was hitting a 7200 rev limit.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
I have to recall my statement on FB. I looked at my best dyno session and I was hitting a 7200 rev limit.
Ohh ok!!! cuz i was haha now it adds up! See im thinking about revving to 7500, but i think the valve springs are the issue for me not rod bolts.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/2840782714.html

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by essential1
hhaha ok so hes running 3.5 timing? confused. i wonder why it dont run lol
Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM

hhaha ok so hes running 3.5 timing? confused. i wonder why it dont run lol
Actually it says,
The motor is in the car and it does run but it needs to be tuned on a stand alone computer
lol. So I guess it runs. So either someone followed in your footsteps AND modified the trigger wheel so the 5 speed works, or they indertook this task themselves and found a way to make it work. Or they just used the 3.0 timing...

If I have a chance tomorrow i'll call and see WTF he's talking about. For some reason, I think I might get a good laugh out of this.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Gen 293 hp/ 269 Tq closed exhaust, stock cams