Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

*** 03 I35 bogging at 2500 rpm **Video**

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

*** 03 I35 bogging at 2500 rpm **Video**

*** Here is a YouTube video I uploaded

The slight knock you hear is coming from under the car in the exhaust...

Just bought car, was running like this but also hado a misfire with a bunch of codes.

I replaced the MAF, an one ignition coil an the spark plug to the dead ignition coil.

After that it no longer has the misfire but still has this situation in the video.

Almost like I'm in drive, holding the brake while reving on the gas, like it's trying to move but can't.
Like a restriction or something.

After revving on it, I can smell fumes (which I assume is expected), an there seems to be a good amount of back pressure from the exhaust. But really seems like it's getting choked out when I hit the gas....

The exhaust does have a bit of white condensation coming out of it after the revving.

Oh an after I put the new parts in I cleared all codes with my scanner.

My scanner does read an record live data so maybe if someone gives me a certain area to look at an what readings I should be getting then I can take a look an report back.

Also to see the video in HD click the 3 dots in top right.

Thanks

Last edited by Shawn Cheever; 10-19-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Classic symptoms of clogged/failed cat. 4 bolts. Drop the cat out and see if clears up. If not "pushing it", can you puts around at 1500RPM reasonably well?

Also check fuel filter.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
Classic symptoms of clogged/failed cat. 4 bolts. Drop the cat out and see if clears up. If not "pushing it", can you puts around at 1500RPM reasonably well?

Also check fuel filter.
Yes anything under 2k rpms is fine, 1500 rpm's no problem at all.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Does it idle quite normally?

Have you ever ran it out of gas? Do you frequently let it get to fumes like it is in the video? That can cause your fuel pump/sending unit to lose lubricity or get gunk clogged up in the system/filter.

Easiest first test is to drop the cat out. It's going to be crazy loud, but if it's nice and smooth revs, there's your problem. After that, I'd say head for the fuel system. It's going to be something that affects the whole system and not a single cylinder. Even 2 dropped cylinders should be able to rev past that, albeit very rough and torture on your engine/crank
Old 10-19-2016, 11:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
Does it idle quite normally?

Have you ever ran it out of gas? Do you frequently let it get to fumes like it is in the video? That can cause your fuel pump/sending unit to lose lubricity or get gunk clogged up in the system/filter.

Easiest first test is to drop the cat out. It's going to be crazy loud, but if it's nice and smooth revs, there's your problem. After that, I'd say head for the fuel system. It's going to be something that affects the whole system and not a single cylinder. Even 2 dropped cylinders should be able to rev past that, albeit very rough and torture on your engine/crank

Yes idles perfectly now that I changed the IC. I just bought this car but I put gas in it after the video.
I'm checking cat tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 PM

any update?