Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

**ATTN JIME: where is your drop resistor mod write up with WOT switch?(org no search)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:31 AM
V^___^V

**ATTN JIME: where is your drop resistor mod write up with WOT switch?(org no search)

yea...org won't let me search up. but i guess i should get a jump start on the drop resistor mod with a WOT switch. it helps in NA application during racing so why not. do u have it bookmart somewhere? or if you don't mind try to explain the whole thing again...

picture helps me a lot as well. i'm sort of a visual person when it comes to installing stuff. if it's inconvenient then that's alrite, nevermind it.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
yea...org won't let me search up. but i guess i should get a jump start on the drop resistor mod with a WOT switch. it helps in NA application during racing so why not. do u have it bookmart somewhere? or if you don't mind try to explain the whole thing again...

picture helps me a lot as well. i'm sort of a visual person when it comes to installing stuff. if it's inconvenient then that's alrite, nevermind it.
I think Jime said he was going on vacation for a week. I'm interested in seeing the same post. It should be pretty simple. connect a switch similar to the wide open switch on nitrous systems into the wire on the drop resistor. Right?
Old 02-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

workin on it, will post the url

You guys are just trying to make me work, I am a racer not a nerd.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:17 PM

Ok here is where the drop resistor is located. Front side of the drivers side strut tower.

There is a connector with two wires attached to the resistor. The electrical drawing of the drop resistor looks like this. You must cut one of the wires, doesn't matter which one but cut it at least 2 or 3 inches from the connector so you have room to strip and connect to it.

Strip a small section on either end of the wire you just cut and attach a wire to each end by soldering or use a connector. Run the two wires to a switch. Either a WOT micro switch (preferably) as per the picture or a manual switch.

I have a small L bracket I made that attaches it to the intake manifold bolt closest to the throttle body.

Keep adjusting the switch position until the throttle hits it just before or when it hits the WOT position. It is imperative that this switch be a Normally Closed (NC) switch so the circuit is always made until you hit WOT at which point it opens and effectively disconnects the drop resistor from the circuit.
You can do the same thing by running the two wires to the cabin and hooking to manual switch (5 amp rating or higher) but I much prefer the WOT switch because you never have to worry about turning it on or off. You have enough to think about when racing without another stupid switch to turn on and off.
The micro switch I use is rated at 10 amps and I got it from an applicance shop where it is used in a microwave.
Most switches of this type are Normally Open (NO) and this will NOT work.

I realize these are pretty crude instructions but I am basically a grease monkey these days not a computer nerd.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:31 PM

Hey man, but isnt the whole point of a wot switch is to turn something on, so how to you use this to break the circut and not keep it closed it?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Hey man, but isnt the whole point of a wot switch is to turn something on, so how to you use this to break the circut and not keep it closed it?
The whole point is that the circuit is already connected and you have to disconnect it for the transmission to go to full line pressure.

A WOT switch for a nitrous is a whole different purpose and it is designed to turn something on but in this case we are removing the drop resistor from the circuit to effective go to full line pressure.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 PM

So this is a different type of a wot switch, where can you get this type of a switch?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
So this is a different type of a wot switch, where can you get this type of a switch?
You have to re-read what I wrote. I said it is available in appliance shops and is used in microwaves.

All switches are designed for different purposes, some turn things on, some turn things off. For a normal manual on/off switch it doesn't matter but for a micro switch they are designed in either NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) configuration. Some, like the one I use in the picture is both and has 3 connectors on it and can be used for either purpose. If you notice I am only connected to 2 of them. The other is the NO (normally open ) connector so it could also be used for a nitrous WOT switch if desired.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so if you use am manual switch when do you turn the resinator off? and can you turn it off and leave it off for like say a night at the track?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by maxGTRvq35de
so if you use am manual switch when do you turn the resinator off? and can you turn it off and leave it off for like say a night at the track?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. But if you use a manual switch vs the WOT switch, yes it just on or off as you decide by switching.

With the WOT switch it only operates when you are at WOT, which is exactly when and only when you really want it.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:19 PM

so i wasnt very clear what i was asking is if i turn it off say before i start the car and then want to drive around all day with it off will it hurt the car? and can i turn it on and off with the car running?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:23 PM

so i wasnt very clear what i was asking is if i turn it off say before i start the car and then want to drive around all day with it off will it hurt the car? and can i turn it on and off with the car running?
If you have it on a manual switch vs the WOT switch then if it is turned off when you start the car, the system will never even know its there.

It is only on when you switch it on, if its a manual switch or if you hit WOT, if you have it on a WOT switch.

I prefer the WOT switch because I usually only go WOT when I am at the track or when I really want to accelerate and then its always there without me having to think about it. If you don't go WOT then the system doesn't even realize its there.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 AM

i have a 2002 does the same write up work for me and i have a fly by wire TB how do i hook up a WOT switch to that. and also when i asked if i used a manual switch and turned it off befor i sarted the car i was saying if i truned off the drop resinator and just left it off would that be ok for a long pieriod of time like for a whole day? sorry for all the questions. i just want to get every thing all setup before i by my nitrous kit. thanks again for all the help
Old 03-05-2004, 05:04 AM

i have a 2002 does the same write up work for me and i have a fly by wire TB how do i hook up a WOT switch to that. and also when i asked if i used a manual switch and turned it off befor i sarted the car i was saying if i truned off the drop resinator and just left it off would that be ok for a long pieriod of time like for a whole day? sorry for all the questions. i just want to get every thing all setup before i by my nitrous kit. thanks again for all the help
I just unplugged mine last night to try it out on the 2k2, 1-2 is really fast, 2-3 somewhat slower but still quicker than without.

Ok, I am going to put the WOT switch under the gas pedal on my 2k2. Same setup as above but instead of having the throttle body operate the switch your gas pedal will. Just need the wires a little longer thats all. Not sure exactly how I will mount it yet because I haven't looked at it but I am sure there is something there to attach it to or I may have to make a small bracket to hold it.

On the manual switch, I am still confused. When you say turn it off, do you mean disconnect the DR (fast shifts) or connect it (normal shift)?

Its ok to leave it disconnected if you aren't driving it, but I don't suggest you turn it off and drive for a day because the part throttle shifts are DEADLY and make for very jerky shifts.

I will just have mine on the WOT switch, no manual switch at all. For normal driving you don't even know its there, it only activates when you floor it and any time you do that you probably want it activated, at least I do.

Still not sure I answered your question.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:09 AM

[QUOTE=happyricefob[/QUOTE]
You will be interested to know that at the Maxima meet in Montgomery this past weekend we had a conversation about your screen name. Fortunately now I know what it means. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:21 PM

i just tried unpluging mine and then pluged it back up works great i just going to set up a switch to turn it on and off as i please. my 1-2 is quick but my 2-3 is really quick and hard. havent got to 3-4 hahaha. any buy the way thanks for all the help jime. i have a nother thread going that is called new to nitrous if you could please take a look at a few of my question and see if you can help me out i would be very greatful. thank you
Old 03-05-2004, 03:35 PM

Any places online to buy the normally closed microswitch?

TK
Old 03-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Not that I am aware of, they are only a buck or two so shippng would cost more than the switch.

Only place I know for sure that have them are appliance shops and lock shops, they use them to operate doors etc with.

The ones I use have 3 terminals so you have N/C and N/O capabilities, your choice.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:10 PM

Jime when you unpluged yours did your ses light come on? mine did not the first time but i did it again and it did. how do i reset the ecu?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Jime when you unpluged yours did your ses light come on? mine did not the first time but i did it again and it did. how do i reset the ecu?

Mine the the first time, but not the second time, it was like that with the 4th Gen too.

I have an OBDII Scanner/Reader so I reset with that, not sure how to do it manually on a 5th Gen.

It may be in the 5th Gen FAQ's though.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:59 AM

i got it done it is some long thing you have to do. im hoping it will not come on ever time i turn the resinator off.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why is part throttle drope res. mod a bad thing?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 AM

The more power you put down the slower it shifts so WOT=Max Power=slower shift.

At part throttle with much less HP it BANGS into the next gear really fast and is liable to break something.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:40 PM

I set mine up exactly the way you have yours set up on your 2k2, under the accelerator. I have a 2k, and I ran a 60shot of NOS dry, and blew the first transmission. I didn't take any precautionary measures to prolong its life, however this time I pretty much copied your setup Jime, and I have an NX kit sitting in my living room. Even though I've taken the same measures you have, I'm still afraid of blowing out another transmission. Any words of advice?

TK
Old 03-27-2004, 11:57 PM

Well I am just about to try the 2k2 out next weekend, just finishing up my hotshot install today. Don't have the NX in yet but working on it.

My setup will be like you said under the pedal and I am also installing a cooler and changing the ATF to Mobil 1.

Thats about all the advice I have, other than watch the burnouts they are killers if you hit traction real fast and leave the trans in 1st, no 3rd or 4th gear stuff for burnouts.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 PM

When you change out the ATF, do you flush the original fluid out, or just drain and fill?

Problem I'm having with the drop resistor, is that at WOT from a stop, the 1-2 shift seems to be delayed when compared to 90% throttle and then WOT @ 5500rpm or so. In the latter situation, the 1-2 shift is very crisp. Couldn't think of anything besides maybe theres more heat generated from going WOT from a stop than letting the revs climb a bit first then going WOT.

TK
Old 03-28-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SkylineGTR
When you change out the ATF, do you flush the original fluid out, or just drain and fill?

Problem I'm having with the drop resistor, is that at WOT from a stop, the 1-2 shift seems to be delayed when compared to 90% throttle and then WOT @ 5500rpm or so. In the latter situation, the 1-2 shift is very crisp. Couldn't think of anything besides maybe theres more heat generated from going WOT from a stop than letting the revs climb a bit first then going WOT.

TK
I do a flush, check here for how I do it. https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/33563-car-died-4.html

Haven't really tried anything but WOT from a stop.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
I do a flush, check here for how I do it. https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33563&page=4

Haven't really tried anything but WOT from a stop.
I thnk I'm going blind, I can't find it on that page.

TK

Edit: NM its on the next page
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM

Look again its titled "Automatic Transmission Flush"
Old 04-04-2004, 11:22 PM

I just unplugged mine last night to try it out on the 2k2, 1-2 is really fast, 2-3 somewhat slower but still quicker than without.

Ok, I am going to put the WOT switch under the gas pedal on my 2k2. Same setup as above but instead of having the throttle body operate the switch your gas pedal will. Just need the wires a little longer thats all. Not sure exactly how I will mount it yet because I haven't looked at it but I am sure there is something there to attach it to or I may have to make a small bracket to hold it.

On the manual switch, I am still confused. When you say turn it off, do you mean disconnect the DR (fast shifts) or connect it (normal shift)?

Its ok to leave it disconnected if you aren't driving it, but I don't suggest you turn it off and drive for a day because the part throttle shifts are DEADLY and make for very jerky shifts.

I will just have mine on the WOT switch, no manual switch at all. For normal driving you don't even know its there, it only activates when you floor it and any time you do that you probably want it activated, at least I do.

Still not sure I answered your question.
Hi Jime,

Would you by any chance know what the resistance on that resistor is. I'm guessing it's a variable resistor that varies the resistance (hence hardness of shift) depending on throttle positioning.

Anyway, what I wanted to do was install a variation to the drop resistor mod. Instead of going to X resistance to 0 resistance (i.e. drop resistor), I wanted to go to a lower resistance. I'm looking into a lower resistance instead of zero resistance as I'm afraid that my auto tranny with smash to bits with the hard shifting.

I was going to wire up a manual switch in the cabin that lets me control the resistance from inside the cabin.

What do you think?

Regards,

Clement
Old 04-05-2004, 02:01 AM
V^___^V

i didn't know this thread has being bumped for so many times...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Clement
Hi Jime,

Would you by any chance know what the resistance on that resistor is. I'm guessing it's a variable resistor that varies the resistance (hence hardness of shift) depending on throttle positioning.

Anyway, what I wanted to do was install a variation to the drop resistor mod. Instead of going to X resistance to 0 resistance (i.e. drop resistor), I wanted to go to a lower resistance. I'm looking into a lower resistance instead of zero resistance as I'm afraid that my auto tranny with smash to bits with the hard shifting.

I was going to wire up a manual switch in the cabin that lets me control the resistance from inside the cabin.

What do you think?

Regards,

Clement
Clement I hate to be the one to tell you but its welcome to last week.

Seriously, the resisitor is 12 ohms FIXED.

A couple of years ago when first getting serious about this I tried a variable resisitor and many combinations of fixed as well, higher and lower. There just seems to be a point where it goes from normal to full line pressure and its not something you can vary, sorry. I spent a couple of days trying these combinations.

The best I can tell you is always hook it up to a WOT switch because its not harsh at WOT. You can always hook a manual switch in series as well if you want to turn it off the WOT as well, I don't because I hardly ever go WOT except at the track.

Also keep in mind that you are opening the circuit so the switch needs to be a normally closed (nc) configuration that opens the circuit on activation.

Jim

Edit PS I have used the DR for 3 years now on 3 different cars, 95, 97 and 2k2 and I firmly believe it can only help save the trans when used at WOT only. Did I say make sure you use it at WOT only? Sorry this cannot be stressed enough.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 PM

How many transmissions has this mod claimed for you, I do take into consideration that you're running a fair amount of NOS on your car. How many runs @ the track have you done with this mod, would you consider this a good cheap substitute for the VB mods ?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:37 PM

1. It has not claimed any transmissions but I do believe it has saved a few.

2. I do not run any amount NOS in my engine, the system is made by Nitrous Express.

3. Yes, but its not a just a cheap substitute. It basically a free substitute that shifts even faster and saves your transmission even more than a VB Mod.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:33 PM

Thanks for your reply

I'm not upto scratch with Nitros terminology, not all that popular down here except for drag cars, I assume NOS and nitros express are different brands.
I'll be trying this mod in the next week or so will let you know how it goes.

1. It has not claimed any transmissions but I do believe it has saved a few.

2. I do not run any amount NOS in my engine, the system is made by Nitrous Express.

3. Yes, but its not a just a cheap substitute. It basically a free substitute that shifts even faster and saves your transmission even more than a VB Mod.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 AM

I guess this should work with lightly modded NA with no nitrous right? If this is such a great mod, how come I haven't seen such an enthusiastic response? Sounds almost too good to be true. (not to thread crap, just trying to guage if I want to do this or not.)
Old 04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
THT
Throbbing member

At $5 in parts and supplies, I'm more than willing to try this rather than spend hundreds on the VB mod. Thanks Jime, I'll be doing this mod next weekend.

~THT
Old 04-28-2004, 10:36 AM

This mod is great for the Maxima in general, regardless of being stock or modded. It can only help the transmission by cleaning up the shift under WOT. On an NA or nitrous car this is by far the best mod to make to the transmission, pricewise. The only downside I see for it, is for people who are boosted and consistently run more power throughout the powerband, and not just under WOT.

TK
Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just did this mod to my Max today and it works great. I made a bracket and put the switch under the dash so its activated by the gas pedal. I went out for a test drive and floored it a few times and no check engine light. However the next time I started the car and floored it the check engine light came on. How do I reset the light first of all? Will the check engine light still come on after resetting it?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-11-2004, 02:19 AM

Mine just goes off on its own on both my 4th and 5th Gen.

Quick Reply: **ATTN JIME: where is your drop resistor mod write up with WOT switch?(org no search)