1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

My first time on the track .. i need MAJOR advice...HELLLLLLLP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My first time on the track .. i need MAJOR advice...HELLLLLLLP

This friday i will be at Newjersey raceway track and mostlikely i will put my car to race for the first time.... i need to get a piece of advice from the folks who race all the time.. here is what i have in my 96 SE Maxima...
1)JWT air intake
2)Stillen Lightenned Fly wheel
3)Stage 3 Clutch from Custommaxima.com
4)Stillen Y-Pipe
5)Straight Pipe(converter removed)
6)2003 SE Muffler
7)Platinum Spark Plugs(if that makes a difference.. i doubt it though)
8)Regular 15" tires front and 18" ASA in the back.
9) and yea B pipe..

Now my question.. what should i expect ...13 ? 14 ? 15? .. what should i keep in mind the MOST while racing.. the only problem with me.. though i am damn good with shifting.. but sometimes i suck in the beginning .. i always peel a little bit... any word of advice to avoid peeling ? i think it makes a difference while racing.. i have a short shifter but not installed i romoved it for some reasons.. should i put it back before racing.. would it make a difference ? looking forward to get a piece of advice from the pros.. thanks a ton. in advance..
peace...
sal
Old 11-05-2002, 09:01 PM

expect somewhere in the mid 14's I would say. Lower that front tire pressure..and launch from about 2k...feather the clutch lightly then go for the gusto.. Thats what I did with my 99 5spd and got a 2.29 60'.. Now next step search for post by theblue on drag racing he has a good right up about posture in the car everything helped me I know.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

14.8 I bet if it's your first time. One thing to note about racing at the track is that there is a lot more traction! It really just takes practice.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That straight pipe will hurt you once you hook up.

On your first trip, try something. Your first time on the track, take off like you would if you were in a hurry on the street; not extreme. The second time, let your emotions run wild and get into it. Youll notice that the first is a much faster approach. The biggest mistake I ever made was getting excited on the launch. Youll over-do it and have a poor 60' time. Forget the short shifter. It wont net you anything at the track. Dont drop your tire pressure much, as this middle of the tire leaves the grouind in under-inflated situations.

Do everything you can to grip.

Once you have solid traction, your car is in the spotlight, not you. All you have to do is hit the right gears.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:17 PM

Bro thank you so much for your advice.... i will keep those things in mind..
thanx a ton
Old 11-06-2002, 07:00 AM
ejj

Originally posted by jefe99se
How in the world do you figure?

It may not help a lot, but there's no way that it will hurt your performance.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:52 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by ejj

How in the world do you figure?

It may not help a lot, but there's no way that it will hurt your performance.
I was wondering the exact same thing...?

Anyhow. You are good for a 14.4 if you can really drive, if not, you might be seeing mid 15s. I'd bet on a great driver in a stock Max over an average driver in a fully modded one any day of the week, so basically it's all on your shoulders, not the car's.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

I was wondering the exact same thing...?

Anyhow. You are good for a 14.4 if you can really drive, if not, you might be seeing mid 15s. I'd bet on a great driver in a stock Max over an average driver in a fully modded one any day of the week, so basically it's all on your shoulders, not the car's.
So are we considering a great driver one that can get a stock Maxima sub 15's?

Old 11-07-2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by jefe99se

On your first trip, try something. Your first time on the track, take off like you would if you were in a hurry on the street; not extreme. The second time, let your emotions run wild and get into it. Youll notice that the first is a much faster approach. The biggest mistake I ever made was getting excited on the launch. Youll over-do it and have a poor 60' time. Forget the short shifter. It wont net you anything at the track. Dont drop your tire pressure much, as this middle of the tire leaves the grouind in under-inflated situations.

Do everything you can to grip.

Once you have solid traction, your car is in the spotlight, not you. All you have to do is hit the right gears.
I have to dissagree with you on "not lowering your tire pressure" I droped one tenth consitantly with lower tire pressure.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Victim64

So are we considering a great driver one that can get a stock Maxima sub 15's?

Yeah thats about right

The only time I lower my tire pressure is if I experience wheelhop. I have noticed no correlation between ET and tire pressure on my street tires. I usually run my street tires at about 30psi at the track, lower if I start getting horrible hop. I've had 2.1s at every pressure from 20psi to 40psi.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Yeah thats about right

The only time I lower my tire pressure is if I experience wheelhop. I have noticed no correlation between ET and tire pressure on my street tires. I usually run my street tires at about 30psi at the track, lower if I start getting horrible hop. I've had 2.1s at every pressure from 20psi to 40psi.
I can run consitent 2.2's, but not 2.1's.

What is your launching method with stock tires?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:40 PM

Thank you every BODY !!!

i will post my result tom if, offcourse i race.. but thanx indeed for all the help ..
Sal
Old 11-08-2002, 08:35 PM

ok i did race !!!

first run was 16.3 second was even worst i wont mention.. but here is what actually happend, my launch was excellent 60 feet it was 2.2 or so .. but i always messed up on my 2nd gear.. i dont know what is happening with my tranny.. i know this for a long time that.. my traine is bad.. like i some time miss my 3rd gear... but it started happening after installing my stage 3 clutch .. i cant change the gears after 6 rpms .. i just have to wait for the rpms to go down 5 and then i can change the gears.. can any body tell me what is going on ?.. if its my tranny ? or i am not suppose to change the gears at that high rpms.. or i am just a looser...
sal
Old 11-08-2002, 08:51 PM
ejj

Re: ok i did race !!!

Originally posted by maximumpower96
or i am just a looser...
Well, you said it!

j/k. If you can't shift at that engine speed, then something must be up with your tranny/clutch.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Re: ok i did race !!!

Thanx for your post ejj.. thats what i seriously think that if i cant change my gears around 6 or even 7 rpms something is up with my tranny.
sal
Old 11-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: ok i did race !!!

Originally posted by maximumpower96
Thanx for your post ejj.. thats what i seriously think that if i cant change my gears around 6 or even 7 rpms something is up with my tranny.
sal
when i first got my car...i had trouble hitting the 2-3 shift. i just started grabbing the shifter in my palm with really no fingers and pushing it straight up. i was pushing it too far to the right and it would miss....but since this style has been incorporated, i havent missed it yet.