1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Mods question & 1/4 mile estimate...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:08 AM

Mods question & 1/4 mile estimate...

Hey All,

I currently have a 95 GXE 5 Speed with 102k and only HKS intake. Everything else is currently stock. I ran the 1/4 with that in 15.01 seconds at 92.61 mph...Yes, I was ****ed that I couldn't break into 14's. I did a whp test with my buddy's G-Tech unit and it calculated 168 Whp. I'm sure that's probably a tad off. But I'm currently ordering new parts/mods and wondering what the difference will be. I've seen all the claimed HP increases but would like the pro's input...

New Mods:
WS Mandrel Bent Y-Pipe
High Flow Cat (WS or Random Tech)
Greddy SP2 Catback
All new Oxygen Sensors
ACT Street Clutch
Stillen lightweight flywheel
Rebuilt axles
New pro-slot slotted rotors and hawk pads
All new uridium plugs (Unsure of brand)

I'm sure that some of those mods won't affect it but I'm not positive...it may have a specific impact on it somehow. All I have ordered so far are the axles and y-pipe but will get everything else and it installed in less than a month and will bring back to the track as soon as it opens back up. Please give me your input...wondering what new 1/4 mile might be and whp estimate.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by MN_Maxim
Hey All,

I currently have a 95 GXE 5 Speed with 102k and only HKS intake. Everything else is currently stock. I ran the 1/4 with that in 15.01 seconds at 92.61 mph...Yes, I was ****ed that I couldn't break into 14's. I did a whp test with my buddy's G-Tech unit and it calculated 168 Whp. I'm sure that's probably a tad off. But I'm currently ordering new parts/mods and wondering what the difference will be. I've seen all the claimed HP increases but would like the pro's input...

New Mods:
WS Mandrel Bent Y-Pipe
High Flow Cat (WS or Random Tech)
Greddy SP2 Catback
All new Oxygen Sensors
ACT Street Clutch
Stillen lightweight flywheel
Rebuilt axles
New pro-slot slotted rotors and hawk pads
All new uridium plugs (Unsure of brand)

I'm sure that some of those mods won't affect it but I'm not positive...it may have a specific impact on it somehow. All I have ordered so far are the axles and y-pipe but will get everything else and it installed in less than a month and will bring back to the track as soon as it opens back up. Please give me your input...wondering what new 1/4 mile might be and whp estimate.

Thanks!

Ryan
The cat is worthless don't waste your money you won't be any faster. Same with the iridium plugs. Get NGK Coppers BKR5E11. Why new o2 sensors does your car actually need them? O2 sensors do not affect performance in any way, shape or form. All they do is emissions related things. The rest of the stuff looks good to me though I am wondering why you decided to buy new axles?

BTW I bet that if you changed nothing on your car and went to the track again you would run 14s, that trap speed is good for a 14.8 with a good launch. I'm guessing your 60' time was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.28-2.33... am I right?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The cat is worthless don't waste your money you won't be any faster. Same with the iridium plugs. Get NGK Coppers BKR5E11. Why new o2 sensors does your car actually need them? O2 sensors do not affect performance in any way, shape or form. All they do is emissions related things. The rest of the stuff looks good to me though I am wondering why you decided to buy new axles?

BTW I bet that if you changed nothing on your car and went to the track again you would run 14s, that trap speed is good for a 14.8 with a good launch. I'm guessing your 60' time was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.28-2.33... am I right?
Here's my actual slip:
R/T .421
60' 2.339
330 6.380
1/8 9.709
MPH 74.20
1000 12.579
1/4 15.004
MPH 92.61

I've read that the high flow cat is claiming up to 5hp...and I need one because the old one is all rusted together to the b-pipe and y-pipe and since I'm replacing those, I'm also replacing the O2 sensors because they're also rusted on there and the rear O2 is causing my CEL. My right front axle's boot has been ripped all the way around and is clicking for the past couple months so I'm trying to do everything at once and they're cheap enough to replace both. Oh...and the iridiums...I've just heard that they last the longest. Any idea of what a new time would be with all this and a decent launch? Got a lot of wheel spin off the line...very slippery track.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Old Maxima Legend

unless your clutch is going out, take the act/flywheel money and put on an ecu upgrade. technosquare ecu in december is only 380, and maybe the ur unorthodax racing udp. getting the ws ypipe sounds good to me. also look for some lighter rims. rota makes some light/affordable and kosei does too.

not sure about the axles, but check www.raxles.com and let those guys hook you up, their new and stronger than stock

also you could try the mevi/jwt ecu setup which is proven to send you down the track fast. trying to figure all this out myself, but like nealoc touched on with the cat. some of this stuff is worthless.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
unless your clutch is going out, take the act/flywheel money and put on an ecu upgrade. technosquare ecu in december is only 380, and maybe the ur unorthodax racing udp. getting the ws ypipe sounds good to me. also look for some lighter rims. rota makes some light/affordable and kosei does too.

not sure about the axles, but check www.raxles.com and let those guys hook you up, their new and stronger than stock

also you could try the mevi/jwt ecu setup which is proven to send you down the track fast. trying to figure all this out myself, but like nealoc touched on with the cat. some of this stuff is worthless.
Yea...my clutch is starting to show signs of slippage and it's never been replaced. Neither have the spark plugs I think. I plan on the MEVI/ECU at some point in the future. I just changed my belts so it seems worthless to get a pulley causing me to get new belts and I have a pretty nice system in mine and don't really want the alternator to be underdriven since it already dims headlights when it hits. I'm currently using the stock 15" steel rims with stock tires, I would think they would be the lightest...but not sure. About how much are raxles? I've heard alot of good things about them.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MN_Maxim
Yea...my clutch is starting to show signs of slippage and it's never been replaced. Neither have the spark plugs I think. I plan on the MEVI/ECU at some point in the future. I just changed my belts so it seems worthless to get a pulley causing me to get new belts and I have a pretty nice system in mine and don't really want the alternator to be underdriven since it already dims headlights when it hits. I'm currently using the stock 15" steel rims with stock tires, I would think they would be the lightest...but not sure. About how much are raxles? I've heard alot of good things about them.
I just called raxles on a price and they quoted me with $119 for the driver's side and $149 for the passenger. Those are for 5 speed w/o lsd. Also shipping was about 40 bucks to MN. FYI to everyone since they don't quote online...