1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Set some new N/A 3.0L records today - ET & trap (if I'm not mistaken)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 PM
3.5 in the works

Set some new N/A 3.0L records today - ET & trap (if I'm not mistaken)

Just barely on the ET though. lol. Ran a 13.41 @ 103.48 this afternoon to beat Neal's 13.43.

Unfortunately I ****ed up my best run of the day by missing the 2-3 shift or I would have hit 13.3x, (judging by my times on the first half of the track compared to the above 13.41 run)- until I turned that run into a 14.3 @ 87.0

Too bad I couldn't nail the 1.900 sixty foot today that I had yesterday, or I'd have been easily into 13.3 territory, if not 13.2's. Only got one run in yesterday before it poured, and I'd just got there so the car was heat soaked. Best 60' today was 1.976.. not bad but not great. My EU was giving me all kinds of problems today, pissed me off pretty good. The 2-step just stopped working out of the blue on the first run of the day and wouldn't thereafter. I need to wire up the clutch interlock with it I think. Then to make it worse, I had a couple of runs where the rev-limit extender failed in 3rd gear so I banged off the 6500 limiter a bit before the finish. ARGH.

Oh well, all in all a good day for the first time out this year. Funny thing is I have not really got any of my planned power mods finished yet, nor have I gotten on the dyno to really get the EU tuned up. So there's more left in the car yet. I believe she'll run a 13 flat at some point this year. Stay tuned. Who knows, maybe I'll even crack 12's if the track gods smile on me. lol.

Anyways, because of so many variables changing today with all the problems and trying to get used to the new tires and feel etc my times were all over the place, anywhere from the would-have-been 13.3x to 13.6's. I also didn't really let the car cool down that much in between runs except before the 13.41 after lunch. I sure did run a whole bunch of 13.5's though:

13.58 @ 103.11
13.50 @ 102.75
13.55 @ 103.24
13.55 @ 102.90
13.52 @ 101.13
13.53 @ 99.59

So here's the timeslip. I believe there's also a video kicking around, I might be able to get it posted later but it's not great quality.. unfortunately no one had a good camera with them today...

Last edited by DandyMax; 07-05-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
SLOW

Yep that's a record if I'm not mistaken as well... sweet time and trap.

what slicks and clutch are you running? and what did you have the 2 step set at /what were you launching at after the 2 step stopped working?

Now the only record I have is the stock beater time i think lol.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:43 PM

Nice runs..if you need a host, lemme know
Old 06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you don't mind me asking what are your mods again? Was there weight reduction or full interior?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Old Maxima Legend

out of sight dan ! can anything be better than running a 13.4 at Saturday Nights " Run What Ya Brung " drag racing event ?

congrats dude ! 3.0 Power !

Find the video of any of them ! I would listen to an audio file of this run ! ROFL !

Do you have any reaction commments from other drivers, or any good races that you pulled off a good upset win ?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:50 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Yep that's a record if I'm not mistaken as well... sweet time and trap.

what slicks and clutch are you running? and what did you have the 2 step set at /what were you launching at after the 2 step stopped working?

Now the only record I have is the stock beater time i think lol.
Slicks are M&H 24.5x15x8.5, clutch is stock.

The 2-step didn't work today at all. Don't know why yet. But yesterday when I pulled the 1.900 I think I had it set at 5400. Today I was playing around, generally from 4800 up to about 6000. I need to work on the launches though, with the 2-step working I should be able to pull well into the 1.8's.

BTW, just in case you're interested, I was looking at the EU logs and I know we were talking in the past about shift times in CarTest... looks like on my good runs my shifts are about 0.3 seconds.

I almost felt bad beating your record since it's been standing for quite a while... - almost. lol. You'll just have to go after Mardi and Rob now in that turbo car of yours.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Nice runs..if you need a host, lemme know
Ok thanks, will probably take you up on that, but I'll have to see if I can adjust the picture on the video a bit first? It's super bright for some reason. I don't know what camera it was taken on but the quality's not great unfortunately.

Hopefully I'll have a better camera along for next time.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by zack342
If you don't mind me asking what are your mods again? Was their weight reduction or full interior?
Mods (the main stuff):
-i/h/y/test/catback
-00VI w/ 4th gen TB
-UDP
-EU (not fully tuned and 2-step not working)
-belts: alternator only

Yes I have some weight reduction. Don't know what the weight is, haven't gotten to a scale yet. The interior was not full, removing the seats helps as they are pretty heavy.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Father of the 00 VI

That is very good i really want a emanage but dont want all those issues.

Ill be racing soon with my stock ecu trying slicks for the fiirst time . It keeps getting rained out the track
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
out of sight dan ! can anything be better than running a 13.4 at Saturday Nights " Run What Ya Brung " drag racing event ?

congrats dude ! 3.0 Power !

Find the video of any of them ! I would listen to an audio file of this run ! ROFL !

Do you have any reaction commments from other drivers, or any good races that you pulled off a good upset win ?
I had a few comments like usual yes. People are surprised when they see a Maxima running mid 13's.

Funniest thing was this one Mustang in the line up at the gate though. We got talking, I asked him about his car, what it ran etc and he asked me what I was running, so I told him. And his eyes go wide and he says, "What size turbo are you running?" I say, "No turbo, just all motor." He says "No ****! What all have you done?" So I tell him a few things and he says "oh ok, cool....(pause)...wow, that's impressive" and just kinda sits there for a second dumbfounded, then he looks over again and says, "So, what size turbo you running?!"
Old 06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im with krismax but i guess its to late now since my ts ecu has sold. dandy darn good days work in the maxima. What is it with these Canadian maximas ? maybe they are just faster than the usa models ? joking !

dandy some of these issues do you believe its because its just a new setup and something that will need tweaking ? someone like me is going to be in big trouble if problems pop up out of the blue like this at the track. but one step at a time.

cant wait to see the video and why not hit the track next weekend and hit a 13.397.

Well a non maxima person would have to believe there is some forced induction going on ? 13.4 ? neal probably dealt with the same amazement and questioning, and its still a darn shame neals old ride bit the dust ! who knows what that car would be doing now ?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
That is very good i really want a emanage but dont want all those issues.

Ill be racing soon with my stock ecu trying slicks for the fiirst time . It keeps getting rained out the track
Accept he only has a BETA version of the newest upgrade. When they actually come out with the next version those bugs should be worked out.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Damn good runs man. Looking forward to seeing EU worked out and some even better times coming your way.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 AM

Congrats on great times!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Awesome! Man, everybody is setting new NA records! I just saw a thread where a 4th gen NA auto got in the 13s! And the NA VE Auto is in the 13s too. Now this!

Keep it up!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Old Maxima Legend

attack of the maximas ! i love it ! Aaron your 3rd gen is out of control ! the 4th gen guys talk about pulling the sleeper move out at the track but your 3rd gen has to be the ultimate sleeper !
Old 06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
SLOW

Are you still using the stock clutch? I found for me that I could only launch at 5500 on a stock clutch. With an aftermarket one I could probably have gone right from redline and I bet you could too.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
3.5 in the works

Who are you asking Neal?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Congrats on the time, now I need to finally get the EU going- its been sitting in the corner of my closet since December of '05. I haven't driven my Maxima in approx 2 months due to some hungry eyes that decided to rob my Max.

I will probably need some pointers with EU, I have all the stuff you have on your car plus some more, I'm not much into drag racing but I could use all that power for road racing.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Those times are awesome for a V6 FWD 4door. I can't believe these cars are capable of that much all motor!!! Now I have over 300 pases in LS1 powerd cars, and launching on a slick is simple enough, 6500 and go. But for the life of me I cant my Maxima out of the whole on the street. I either spin [which I can deal with] or I wheel hop [which I dont want to deal with LOL] I have used M&H DR's on the street on the TA, but I run M/T's Slicks at the track. How are you able to launch on a stiky tire w/o wheel hop?

Congrats on those times very impressive!!!!

Now I have to resist moding my Maxima like I did my Trans Am LOL
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
attack of the maximas ! i love it ! Aaron your 3rd gen is out of control ! the 4th gen guys talk about pulling the sleeper move out at the track but your 3rd gen has to be the ultimate sleeper !
I love to see sleeper Maximas! I just can't wait until I can make it a REAL sleeper and be in the low 12s or high 11s.

When I ran the 13.7, I also ran a bunch of 13.8s all night long. A LOT of people came up to me. A lot of Mustang guys and just general spectators, even people racing their trailor cars in the 10s. They all had to find out where the bottle was. I showed them the trunk. I also showed them I was an automatic completely all motor. They didn't believe it until I showed them.

I like the fact that from the outside of my car, it looks like a normal car with rims. It has 5% tint on all the windows, so you can't tell it's gutted from the inside.

DandyMax, did you get any crowds around your car when they saw you busting those times?

All this talk about All Motor times makes me want to go out and get 13.5s. With more weight reduction and a proper ECU tune on race fuel, it may be possible to shave a couple tenths. I am still on the stock ECU.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Congrats on the time, now I need to finally get the EU going- its been sitting in the corner of my closet since December of '05. I haven't driven my Maxima in approx 2 months due to some hungry eyes that decided to rob my Max.

I will probably need some pointers with EU, I have all the stuff you have on your car plus some more, I'm not much into drag racing but I could use all that power for road racing.
Sorry to hear about the robbery, hope it wasn't damaged too much. Feel free to contact me about the EU if you need to. I don't have everything tuned up on it yet, and there are still some issues I'm working through but eventually I'll get it done up and dyno.

Originally Posted by Ws6TransAm01
Those times are awesome for a V6 FWD 4door. I can't believe these cars are capable of that much all motor!!! Now I have over 300 pases in LS1 powerd cars, and launching on a slick is simple enough, 6500 and go. But for the life of me I cant my Maxima out of the whole on the street. I either spin [which I can deal with] or I wheel hop [which I dont want to deal with LOL] I have used M&H DR's on the street on the TA, but I run M/T's Slicks at the track. How are you able to launch on a stiky tire w/o wheel hop?

Yeah it is a bit more tricky with a FWD definitely, I have friends with a 71 Camaro and a 94 Firebird w/ LT4 conversion and I envy their RWD/linelock configuration. lol.

BUT, I think something people overlook a lot, especially now that the 4th gen Maxes are getting older, is bushings, ball joints and alignments. Last year I had problems with wheel hop, so I got some traction bars which helped, but this spring I decided to try something different: I removed the traction bars, and overhauled my suspension. New ball joints, and put in all ES bushings underneath. That includes subframe bushings, LCA bushings, and sway bar and end link bushings. I already had ES motor mounts. The result is that now I can launch near/at rev limit on slicks at the track and get no wheel hop, even without the traction bars. The coilovers probably play into things a bit too, but I have really noticed a difference in the front end with the bushings. THere is no slop at all.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I like the fact that from the outside of my car, it looks like a normal car with rims. It has 5% tint on all the windows, so you can't tell it's gutted from the inside.

DandyMax, did you get any crowds around your car when they saw you busting those times?
Yeah mine is similar, very stock looking from outside with tints, but not as dark. (When I get the video up you'll see)

I wouldn't say "crowds" per say, it wasn't that busy at the track.. which is why I went there, I wanted to get lots of runs in... but yeah I had a few comments for sure. The funniest being what I posted about the Mustang guy a couple posts back. There were quite a few SRT-4's there though, it was a small Neon club event. It was nice to be faster than all of them except for one with a GT35R and 12lbs of boost running 13.2. haha.

But I expect to hit 13.2 before too long also...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM

WHOA! make sure you stay away from me,lol. that beats my stock boost sc time which is 13.5, good work.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Yeah mine is similar, very stock looking from outside with tints, but not as dark. (When I get the video up you'll see)

I wouldn't say "crowds" per say, it wasn't that busy at the track.. which is why I went there, I wanted to get lots of runs in... but yeah I had a few comments for sure. The funniest being what I posted about the Mustang guy a couple posts back. There were quite a few SRT-4's there though, it was a small Neon club event. It was nice to be faster than all of them except for one with a GT35R and 12lbs of boost running 13.2. haha.

But I expect to hit 13.2 before too long also...
That's what I'm talking about! These guys put ALL this work in their turbocharged car and they can't take a stock looking all motor Maxima! I've beaten a few turbo Civics and Integras and a few motor swapped Civic HBs. But once I was whooped by a modded b18c1 Civic HB, which ran mid 13s when I was running high 14s a long time ago.

When I ran 13.7s, that night I ran against a brand new Monte Carlo SS. Pretty fast car! He was stock and running 13.8-13.9s all night. He redlighted and got a good jump on me and I still got him by one car length by the end of the 1/4 mile. From what he told me, it's got the Corvette motor, but tuned down of course. 303 HP 5.3L V8

I'm sure the SRT4 guys were talking about your car.

When I say crowds, I had about 30 different people come up and ask me about the car. Once, a crowd of about 10 guys all walked up and started asking questions. He turned into a client. With my Nissan performance and repair business, it's good exposure when you run at the track and get some good numbers.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
SLOW

Who are you asking Neal?

you because i didn't see your answer to it earlier but now I do. Get an aftermarket clutch and go pull some 1.7s is my advice
Old 06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
SLOW

I've got about 300 passes in my 3 maximas which have been in various states of decay over the years, and I've never had a wheelhop problem with sticky tires. On street tires yes, on my two with worn out motor mounts, I've had wheelhop issues. But when I put them on a tire I never have a wheelhop problem (spin if anything, but no hopping).
Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 AM
no more maxima...

Good job Dan. Hopefully ill get to witness the car in person later this summer at St. Thomas.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I like Maximas

awesome, simply awesome..
can't wait to hit the track..
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Thinks he is fast

Good times dandy. How are you launching? Are you running on drag radials? Also any tips on getting better r/t's? I should be in the 13's with my headers and emanage blue tune but I feel like I'm a long way from there.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
Good times dandy. How are you launching? Are you running on drag radials? Also any tips on getting better r/t's? I should be in the 13's with my headers and emanage blue tune but I feel like I'm a long way from there.
No I'm running slicks at the track. If you want to run the fastest you can, slicks are a must. Nothing beats them for traction off the line IMO. As for R/T it's just simply reflexes/eye/foot coordination. You have to time it and go right on the 3rd yellow. I also try to always shallow stage so you have a wee bit more rollout distance before the timers start.

Do not look at my R/T on my slip there though. lol. I did not care about R/T since it was just test and tune, not a bracket race, and furthermore I was playing around with the launch and trying to get the 2-step to work so I was sitting there on the line a lot longer than normal.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM

great job dandy. do you have an idea of what you would run on street tires?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

wow congrats dude... its amazing how far Maximas have come hahah 13.4s used to be SC times
Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 PM

You'll just have to go after Mardi and Rob now in that turbo car of yours.
and me soon whenever the fk my car gets done
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by aznsap
great job dandy. do you have an idea of what you would run on street tires?
Well just guessing but if you assume say a 2.1 sixty foot time then I'd probably be in the 13.6x range...

Originally Posted by h2kFrosty
and me soon whenever the fk my car gets done
Should we check back in a year or so?

J/K. lol.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Old Maxima Legend

^ ha ! yeah frostys car is still in hibernation somewhere in the artic ? when will the sleeping giant awake ? with the aid of global warming, maybe somewhere around 2132.

dan 13.6 on street tires still rocks !
Old 06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
3.5 in the works

That's just a guess though... don't really know. I don't run on street tires.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah it is a bit more tricky with a FWD definitely, I have friends with a 71 Camaro and a 94 Firebird w/ LT4 conversion and I envy their RWD/linelock configuration. lol.

BUT, I think something people overlook a lot, especially now that the 4th gen Maxes are getting older, is bushings, ball joints and alignments. Last year I had problems with wheel hop, so I got some traction bars which helped, but this spring I decided to try something different: I removed the traction bars, and overhauled my suspension. New ball joints, and put in all ES bushings underneath. That includes subframe bushings, LCA bushings, and sway bar and end link bushings. I already had ES motor mounts. The result is that now I can launch near/at rev limit on slicks at the track and get no wheel hop, even without the traction bars. The coilovers probably play into things a bit too, but I have really noticed a difference in the front end with the bushings. THere is no slop at all.

:
That's good to know. I'll have to look into that. I'm not looking into going after any Maxima records, I have the second fastest stock bottom end Heads/Cam 6spd F-body in the country [accorting to LS1Tech.com] so I have my eyes set on that. But it would be fun to make the Maxima a bit more peppy! Just to mess with unsuspecting Civic Si owners on the street! LOL
Old 06-08-2006, 06:07 PM
3.5 in the works

Yeah sounds like you have a very nice LS1 there for sure!

I should have also mentioned that it's not just slicks, even on the street everything is nice and solid now and I can launch pretty hard without wheel hop, just some spin (assuming the road is in reasonably good shape of course).
Old 06-09-2006, 04:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

That's good to know. I'll have to look into that. I'm not looking into going after any Maxima records, I have the second fastest stock bottom end Heads/Cam 6spd F-body in the country [accorting to LS1Tech.com] so I have my eyes set on that. But it would be fun to make the Maxima a bit more peppy! Just to mess with unsuspecting Civic Si owners on the street! LOL
A stock VQ 5spd can take all stock Civic SI's. The late 90s SI runs about 16.1 stock in the 1/4 mile. The magazines say 15.9, but nobody has ever done it stock that I know of.

The 2006 Civic SI is quite a bit faster. Magazines say they run mid 15s stock. I've seen some guys already beat that time completely stock. Some have done low low 15s.

But your car can take all the stock Civics on the road. If you want to make your car quicker and still keep it quiet on the street, you can replace the intake, Ypipe, and ECU and you will have a nice mid 14 second sedan with just those 3 modifications done.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 AM
SLOW

I know a guy that ran 15.2 in his stock 99 SI... those numbers you are posting for the 99-00s are way off. Heck I ran 15.9 in a stock 95 civic EX which has 35 less HP and on 17 inch wheels that I now know weighed like 25lbs per wheel (I didn't know anything about wheels weights then). But yeah a 4th gen will still take them without trouble.

Either way I doubt our man is concerned with the semantics of whether they run 15.2 or 16.1 since he has a 10 second TA lol.

Quick Reply: Set some new N/A 3.0L records today - ET & trap (if I'm not mistaken)