1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

12.9 @ 106.9MPH ALL MOTOR 6th gen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:52 PM

12.9 @ 106.9MPH ALL MOTOR 6th gen!!!

I was really excited when I got this slip! A lot of hard work has paid off right here.
Ran a couple of other passes, but could not get the car to hook. All passes were around 106-107MPH.

Runs were made at KCIR. Density Altitude: 1712 feet || Relative Density: 95.08 %
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...time=1:54%20PM

Here are the mods:
Fujita intake
3" exhaust back to a single magnaflow muffler (Still running the stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats)
NWP spacers
NWP Block off plate
15lb Lawnmower battery (only cost $25 at walmart)
26x11.5-16 ET Streets mounted on FD RX7 wheels (super lightweight)
Lots of weight reduction
Blue tape rear "diffuser". (Blocks off the air gap between the gas tank and the rear bumper cover. Reduced drag a lot. When you see honda civics with holes in the rear bumper, this is pretty much doing the same thing. Diverting the air from getting trapped in the rear bumper. I gained a lot of mph from last time with this being pretty much the only change.)
I didn't use the spare tire skinnies this time, as this track would not allow it.

Really simple setup with very little money invested.
My goal was to hit 12s without headers and a tune. If I can get the car too hook, it should run some 12.7s in the near future.

Here is the good stuff:

Maxima in "race" trim

Me and Harold's(Grey99max) beast! Harold is living proof that this 12 second pass happened.

Here is the motor, nothing special.

Here is proof of the stock manifolds

Here is my amazingly ghetto but functional "diffuser"
Gained ~2mph with just this change.

Here are the slips:

Spun a little bit on the launch. I was super excited when I got my 12.9 slip.

Spun quite a bit on the launch.

Spun a lot on the launch.

Car feels really good. Absolutely lights up the street tires on the street.
Let me know what you guys think!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 PM

That's pretty f'ing impressive.

What did you do regarding " alot of weight reduction"? About the battery, do you use that for daily use or just at the track?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Very impressive times. Your 60fts seem pretty low for having spun the launch. Why is you MPH lower than mine, but your ET is faster? Does MPH get lower with a better launch?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
That's pretty f'ing impressive.

What did you do regarding " alot of weight reduction"? About the battery, do you use that for daily use or just at the track?
Thanks man! The whole car is pretty much gutted.
I have been daily driving with this battery for like 3 weeks now and it hasn't given me any problems.
Originally Posted by bryan163
Very impressive times. Your 60fts seem pretty low for having spun the launch. Why is you MPH lower than mine, but your ET is faster? Does MPH get lower with a better launch?
Thanks man!

Think of it this way:

MPH shows how much power you make.
ET shows how good you can hook.

Basically, your mph will stay relatively the same if you get a 2.2 60' or a 1.8 60'.
You trapped 110mph, so with some good traction (1.8 60' or less) you should be deep into the 12s.

This is why you will see fwd turbo cars trap like 140mph and run a 10.8 and then you'll see a RWD drag car trap like 123mph and run a 10.8.
The difference is the fwd turbo car can't hook as well as the rwd drag car.

Hope that explained it.

Last edited by krazy6; 11-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Turbo 3.5

Damn great times and the driver of the year award goes tooooooo Krazy6

So whats next I noticed you already removed the a/c or mirrors. fyi I would put some used motorcycle tires on the donuts to make them legal.

Last edited by t6378tp; 11-07-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Damn hooking @ KCIR, I remember I couldn't catch traction even if it was a bad cold last time I was up there... I see the right lane is still the magic lane. Good stuff man!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. what weight reduction mods do you have besides the battery and wheels? I noticed our doors weigh a ton. I was thinking of totally gutting a spare set of doors down to the skins and using Plexiglas windows in them just for the track. I already deleted the spare tire well, AC components, rear bumper support, and put in a 13lb AGM battery.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 AM

Mph relates to HP most the time and his car may not be making much but the weight reduction and reduced drag helps a lot.... if the mph is 1 maybe 2mph of a difference then that's shouldn't be something you should be worring about too much as everything won't be perfect in every 1/4 run... he did trap 107 but only ran a 13.1 so that's goes to show a lil about what I'm talking about.......... anyways krazy6 you did it man, congratulations, maxima's braking 12's with no headers, great shyt
Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Good stuff here
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Congrats man! 12 second N/A 6th gen w/o headers FTMFW!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
Damn great times and the driver of the year award goes tooooooo Krazy6

So whats next I noticed you already removed the a/c or mirrors. fyi I would put some used motorcycle tires on the donuts to make them legal.
Thanks man!
Actually my friend is shipping up some 15x4 jegs "prostars" with some 165 nexens on them. They'll be legal, and they will be here on Wednesday.
Then I got to sort out the suspension so this damn thing will actually hook. This car is begging for a slick. Damn big brakes.
Originally Posted by aackshun
Damn hooking @ KCIR, I remember I couldn't catch traction even if it was a bad cold last time I was up there... I see the right lane is still the magic lane. Good stuff man!!!
Yeah, right lane was better for me. If this car could hook, some 12.7s should be attainable.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. what weight reduction mods do you have besides the battery and wheels? I noticed our doors weigh a ton. I was thinking of totally gutting a spare set of doors down to the skins and using Plexiglas windows in them just for the track. I already deleted the spare tire well, AC components, rear bumper support, and put in a 13lb AGM battery.
No problem dude. Always like helping out a fellow maxima owner.
I haven't cut anything on the car. I have removed as much stuff as possible. The list would be too long to list. lol
I wish I could find some spare doors for super cheap, because I would gut the hell out of them.
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
anyways krazy6 you did it man, congratulations, maxima's braking 12's with no headers, great shyt
Thanks man!
Originally Posted by maxboy325
Good stuff here
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Good runs man!! Congrats!!! I can't imagine what you'd run with full bolt on's and a tune!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by krazy6
Then I got to sort out the suspension so this damn thing will actually hook. This car is begging for a slick. Damn big brakes.

Yup, he's right - I watched his Max click off the 12.99 ET. That's an impressive car at the track. The trick exhaust system, the"blue tape" mod on the tail, and aggressive weight reduction all came together for him on Sunday.

I may have an idea about the launch problems - while watching him burn out before the water box, then after he passed through, I could see the driver's side slick smoking like mad, but the passenger tire didn't spin. No biggie before the box, but after he went through it and the passenger side didn't spin again on the other side, I wonder if he carried a wet tire to the starting line? This didn't occur to me until today. If he can get both slicks to hook together, the 60' time will drop. We discussed moving the wheels back and forth while doing a burn-out.

A fun day - lots of really fast cars and bikes, and we got to watch a 10.[1-2]x 150mph Honda put his street tires back on and drive out the gate on his way home.

Last edited by grey99max; 11-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Congrats... That is very impressive... I know you have put in lots of time and effort and it paid off..
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM

congrats man, glad to see you in teh 12s
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM

good **** im looking for a 6thgen 6speed but no luck
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Congrats man! 12 second N/A 6th gen w/o headers FTMFW!!
Thanks man!
Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
Good runs man!! Congrats!!! I can't imagine what you'd run with full bolt on's and a tune!
Thanks man!
It will run really good that's for sure.
Anyone want to donate some money to the low 12 second all motor 6th gen fund? haha
Originally Posted by grey99max
Yup, he's right - I watched his Max click off the 12.99 ET. That's an impressive car at the track. The trick exhaust system, the"blue tape" mod on the tail, and aggressive weight reduction all came together for him on Sunday.

I may have an idea about the launch problems - while watching him burn out before the water box, then after he passed through, I could see the driver's side slick smoking like mad, but the passenger tire didn't spin. No biggie before the box, but after he went through it and the passenger side didn't spin again on the other side, I wonder if he carried a wet tire to the starting line? This didn't occur to me until today. If he can get both slicks to hook together, the 60' time will drop. We discussed moving the wheels back and forth while doing a burn-out.

A fun day - lots of really fast cars and bikes, and we got to watch a 10.[1-2]x 150mph Honda put his street tires back on and drive out the gate on his way home.

Thanks Harold!

Yeah, once I can get this thing to hook it should put down some really nice times. I'll try turning the wheel back and forth in the box next time.

That honda was awesome! I wish I had a car that could trap 150mph and then drive home.
Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
Congrats... That is very impressive... I know you have put in lots of time and effort and it paid off..
Thanks! Lot's of experiments have been tried on this car.
Originally Posted by phatboislim
congrats man, glad to see you in teh 12s
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM

You could remove that vacuum canister and bracket for a little more weight reduction haha.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Congratulations man! Must feel great. That diffuser idea, was that influenced by Harold? lol, he usually thinks of crazy things like that. I have always wondered if it really makes any difference trying something like that. specially having no covers at the bottom by engine bay = causing more drag.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Wow! Very impressive! You are quite the driver! A 12 second "grocery getter" is awesome...Especially with your limited mod list.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM

You're about .4 E/T and 2MPH away from putting a bolt-on 5.5th gen to shame.

Wow, I am in shock... really. This is insane!

Last edited by 2002AltimateV6; 11-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Congratulations man! Must feel great. That diffuser idea, was that influenced by Harold? lol, he usually thinks of crazy things like that. I have always wondered if it really makes any difference trying something like that. specially having no covers at the bottom by engine bay = causing more drag.
Na, it wasn't me - although I do have an uncompleted belly pan in the garage. This guy thinks up his own stuff - and he's here in Kansas from California, I believe.

I just unloaded my camera, so I will post the one video that worked, and some stills. Incidentially, I was wrong - he did smoke both tires! I missed getting his first pass on camera - darn...

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=DSCN1514.mp4

Stills------------------------------------

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1499.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1500.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1501.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1502.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1503.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1504.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1505.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1506.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1507.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1508.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1509.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1510.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1511.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/DSCN1512.jpg

He's grinning for a reason!

Last edited by grey99max; 11-08-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM

You could remove that vacuum canister and bracket for a little more weight reduction haha.
Will that throw any codes? If it doesn't I know what I am doing tomorrow.
Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Yeah, I was pretty damn excited when I got the slip.
I didn't get the idea from Harold, but after talking to him, he mentioned that he had a very similar idea. Great minds think alike!
Originally Posted by jr schultz
Wow! Very impressive! You are quite the driver! A 12 second "grocery getter" is awesome...Especially with your limited mod list.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
You're about .4 E/T and 2MPH away from putting a bolt-on 5.5th gen to shame.

Wow, I am in shock... really. This is insane!
Getting close to him! I just need traction and I will be even closer.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by grey99max
Na, it wasn't me - although I do have an uncompleted belly pan in the garage. This guy thinks up his own stuff - and he's here in Kansas from California, I believe.

I just unloaded my camera, so I will post the one video that worked, and some stills.
He's grinning for a reason!
Thanks for all of the pics and video! I'm gonna check them out right now.

EDIT: That video turned out pretty good despite you not being able to see.

Last edited by krazy6; 11-08-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 PM

I spy gutted interior, mirrors, and corner lights. You definitely got me curious about aerodynamics too. Please take more videos when you go back. This is good stuff. We just got an inch of snow here, so I need to live vicariously through you.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very impressive times! Congratulations man! Get it to hook a little better with a better DA and you'll make a mid 12 sec pass!

Love the rear diffuser. Great idea! I might have to make something like that for my car.

I'm a little surprised that you are spinning with that much slick. I know they're et streets but they're basically slicks. How much pressure were u running? Maybe do a longer burnout?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM

I spy gutted interior, mirrors, and corner lights. You definitely got me curious about aerodynamics too. Please take more videos when you go back. This is good stuff. We just got an inch of snow here, so I need to live vicariously through you.
Yeah, like I said, lots of weight reduction.
I only took out the driver side corner light to feed the filter.
Aerodynamics is something most people don't think about. I did a very simple modification and got some great results.
Originally Posted by 505max94se
Very impressive times! Congratulations man! Get it to hook a little better with a better DA and you'll make a mid 12 sec pass!

Love the rear diffuser. Great idea! I might have to make something like that for my car.

I'm a little surprised that you are spinning with that much slick. I know they're et streets but they're basically slicks. How much pressure were u running? Maybe do a longer burnout?
Thanks man!

The rear diffuser surprised me with some great gains. You should definitely give it shot on your car.

Yeah, these tires aren't the greatest. I think the suspension is to blame though. It lifts a lot in the front and squats in the rear. Exactly what I don't need it to do.
I wish I could fit a 15" wheel on the car, then I could throw some 24.5s on it and actually hook.
So, this week I am gonna try to sort out the suspension for this fridays track day.

Also, I weighed the car today, and it weighs 3108lbs with me in it. No wonder its running so good.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6
Yeah, these tires aren't the greatest. I think the suspension is to blame though. It lifts a lot in the front and squats in the rear. Exactly what I don't need it to do.
I wish I could fit a 15" wheel on the car, then I could throw some 24.5s on it and actually hook.
So, this week I am gonna try to sort out the suspension for this fridays track day.

Also, I weighed the car today, and it weighs 3108lbs with me in it. No wonder its running so good.
How much psi were the et streets inflated to?

Limiting straps will definitely help with your weight transfer problem. You already know that. You might be able to install some 3rd or 4th gen brakes. I think the main issue would be how to mount the calipers. Idk...

Damn that's light for a 6th gen! I bet that's close to what my 3rd gen weighs with driver. Did you remove things like a/c, ps, and/or bumper supports?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Straps in the front and drag bags in the back will help you get out the hole much quicker, I'd imagine the max's stock suspension isn't setup well at all for drag launching.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Badass times dude!
I love the blue tape diffuser!

ups says skinnies should be there weds, so you'll have them for friday.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 AM

nice krazy6 u first of break 12 sec 6 gen all-motor in the world!

so im happy you use blue tape diffuser, remove door panel of interior, so i hope you could upgrade y-pipe, lightweight underdrive pulley, put a some pipe towards out the headlight of air intake pipe to manifold as aaron92se, maybe it will help more boost of air can gain trap speed when weather temperature is very low maybe on night, my guess it can hit 12.5 @ 110 mph? :-)
Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM

Excellent job, those times are insane with little to no mods!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:59 AM
SLOW

if you're gonna do all that weight reduction and aero mods you might as well do whatever's necessary to get 15" wheels on there so you can get a good tire on it. I think some 5.5G guys have managed to fit a 15" wheel on there, right? jime and blubyu2k2 come to mind. Not sure if they did brake swaps or brake grinding or just made sure to find the proper wheel with the proper spoke shape, etc. ET Streets blow. you'd probably be able to run 12.6 with just a tire change.

great time and trap man
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 AM

Damn thats lighter than all my cars!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm starting to smell something fishy.. I'm not doubting that you ran what you ran but there's more to this car then meets the eye. At 3,100lbs you'd have to have at least 280-290WHP to be able to run something like this. A VQ with just spacers, BOP and intake isn't making that at all. You'd need to be in the mid 2k range to be able to run 12s with just 230-240WHP.

Hell, the fastest 5.5th gen is running 280'ish WHP and is lighter then you. It's either you have one hell of a factory freak.. or..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM

:Hell, the fastest 5.5th gen is running 280'ish WHP and is lighter then you.
The 5.5 is 150 pounds heavier.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM

The 5.5 is 150 pounds heavier.
Really?! I would assume the 5.5 would have been lighter. So then it must be from the additional HP and good driving.

Damn Maxima's must be haxxing real life.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Congrats on the great time man. Your car us light as hell with all that weight reduction. My car weighs 3030 with me in it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Really?! I would assume the 5.5 would have been lighter. So then it must be from the additional HP and good driving.

Damn Maxima's must be haxxing real life.
FWIW, I was there and looked the car over pretty well. The doors were gutted, along with the side mirrors, the front passenger seat was gone, the rear seat was gone, and the jack was out of the car. The slicks/wheels were pretty light, too. The engine showed no obvious mods other than the mentioned intake and a great looking fabricated exhaust after the stock cats. The custom air intake tube was exposed and I saw no nitrous installed.

Unless there was a RMT under all that blue tape, what you see is what you get.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
if you're gonna do all that weight reduction and aero mods you might as well do whatever's necessary to get 15" wheels on there so you can get a good tire on it. I think some 5.5G guys have managed to fit a 15" wheel on there, right? jime and blubyu2k2 come to mind. Not sure if they did brake swaps or brake grinding or just made sure to find the proper wheel with the proper spoke shape, etc. ET Streets blow. you'd probably be able to run 12.6 with just a tire change.

great time and trap man
I was also wondering if 5.5g brakes would clear a 15" wheel. They should just bolt on to a 6th gen.

Hey krazy6, I have a good set of 5.5g rotors and calipers for sale. I'll let them go for $50 plus shipping.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM

IIRC i read somewhere that the I30 bbs 15" rims fit without modification on 5.5gens.. you could look into that

Quick Reply: 12.9 @ 106.9MPH ALL MOTOR 6th gen!!!