1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

How come there areso little parts for the 2nd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002 | 11:32 AM

How come there areso little parts for the 2nd Gen?

Was this generation skipped for some odd reason especially the 87's and 88's. I can't really find anything for my car. Every Z from the 70's on has parts even the 1st gen has something and from 89 on it's a no brainer. So how come we were skipped in a way? Is there something I don't know (probably yes) and should I save my money and not waste my time modding and repairing my 87 Maxima?
Old 08-30-2002 | 11:40 AM

Re: How come there areso little parts for the 2nd Gen?

If your serious about modding the car do more research. I did quite a bit to my 87 max.

Originally posted by Implicit
Was this generation skipped for some odd reason especially the 87's and 88's. I can't really find anything for my car. Every Z from the 70's on has parts even the 1st gen has something and from 89 on it's a no brainer. So how come we were skipped in a way? Is there something I don't know (probably yes) and should I save my money and not waste my time modding and repairing my 87 Maxima?
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:07 PM

Re: Re: How come there areso little parts for the 2nd Gen?

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
If your serious about modding the car do more research. I did quite a bit to my 87 max.

I've been to alot of online sihts and found very little. I don't know alot about the Technical side of cars so maybe thats why Where did u get new parts?
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: How come there areso little parts for the 2nd Gen?

Originally posted by Implicit

I've been to alot of online sihts and found very little. I don't know alot about the Technical side of cars so maybe thats why Where did u get new parts?
Thast the fun of it man, when the mods are hard it is much cooler cause you see less people with the same mods. Here is a tip though, if 88max2nv tells you to do anything to your car, DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!!!!!!! anyone on this site will tel you the same. Try spray painting some interior things. DO it right though Goodluck!
Old 08-30-2002 | 01:35 PM
Charles Bisel

What kind of stuff are you looking to do to your car, performance, cosmetic, or both? Our engines are very similar to the '84-'88 300ZX, so you can change out your engine and put the turbo one in, or you can put the turbo on your existing engine. Pacesetter sells a cat-back exhaust system for our cars, though you can always get a custom one made if you wanted too. If you have an automatic tranny, you can get it built up into a performance one by Level 10. If you need struts, you can get a good set of KYB's. Also, Intrax and Suspension Techniques make lowering springs for our cars. You can get a set of cross-drilled rotors from KVR Performance and I believe there are a few companies out there that make performance headers and cams. Check out http://www.z31.com for more information, it concerns the '84-'88 300ZX, but if you are serious about performance, you'll want to swap the VG30ET into your Maxima and do whatever peformance mods that can be done to that engine. If you need any repair parts, you should be able to get a lot of new stuff from the Nissan dealership. Also, http://www.carparts.com is a good site for replacement parts. For used parts, check out http://www.car-part.com

As for cosmetic stuff, you can get a body kit from Kaminari, a spoiler from Erebunicorp.com, clear turn signal lights directly from Nissan, a wood or carbon fiber dash kit from wooddash.com and indiglo gauges from procarparts.com. Noone makes Altezza lights, but if you have enough money and know a company that works with plastics or automotive customization, you may be able to get a set custom made. Same goes with a wire mesh grill, you can get a custom one made since noone makes that either.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do, but if you're creative enough, you shouldn't have any problems accomplishing your goals. Check out the 2nd Gen Nissan Maxima club in my sig, you should be able to get a lot of help and ideas from there. I don't know if your Maxima is worth modding or not, it depends on how many miles you've got, how much money you've got, what kind of shape the car is in, and most importantly, how much you like your car. If you're having any doubts, don't mod it, just use it as a daily driver. Realize that whatever money you put in your car, you won't get it back if you decide to sell it for whatever reason in the future.

-C-
Old 09-02-2002 | 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
What kind of stuff are you looking to do to your car, performance, cosmetic, or both? Our engines are very similar to the '84-'88 300ZX, so you can change out your engine and put the turbo one in, or you can put the turbo on your existing engine. Pacesetter sells a cat-back exhaust system for our cars, though you can always get a custom one made if you wanted too. If you have an automatic tranny, you can get it built up into a performance one by Level 10. If you need struts, you can get a good set of KYB's. Also, Intrax and Suspension Techniques make lowering springs for our cars. You can get a set of cross-drilled rotors from KVR Performance and I believe there are a few companies out there that make performance headers and cams. Check out http://www.z31.com for more information, it concerns the '84-'88 300ZX, but if you are serious about performance, you'll want to swap the VG30ET into your Maxima and do whatever peformance mods that can be done to that engine. If you need any repair parts, you should be able to get a lot of new stuff from the Nissan dealership. Also, http://www.carparts.com is a good site for replacement parts. For used parts, check out http://www.car-part.com

As for cosmetic stuff, you can get a body kit from Kaminari, a spoiler from Erebunicorp.com, clear turn signal lights directly from Nissan, a wood or carbon fiber dash kit from wooddash.com and indiglo gauges from procarparts.com. Noone makes Altezza lights, but if you have enough money and know a company that works with plastics or automotive customization, you may be able to get a set custom made. Same goes with a wire mesh grill, you can get a custom one made since noone makes that either.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do, but if you're creative enough, you shouldn't have any problems accomplishing your goals. Check out the 2nd Gen Nissan Maxima club in my sig, you should be able to get a lot of help and ideas from there. I don't know if your Maxima is worth modding or not, it depends on how many miles you've got, how much money you've got, what kind of shape the car is in, and most importantly, how much you like your car. If you're having any doubts, don't mod it, just use it as a daily driver. Realize that whatever money you put in your car, you won't get it back if you decide to sell it for whatever reason in the future.

-C-
I hear ya. First thing I wanna do is get thins fixed. Then add some cosmetics, then mess with the exhaust and stuff. The car really means alot to me and my family. Old reliable it is! Oh yeah it looks just like yours too!
Old 09-02-2002 | 05:14 PM

hey if you want to listen to them go a head. if not look in the never saw it never will post its got 2 cool things for an 88 max, need any add. info on mods ask me ill tell ya how to do em step by step
Old 09-03-2002 | 06:11 AM

Originally posted by 88max2nv
hey if you want to listen to them go a head. if not look in the never saw it never will post its got 2 cool things for an 88 max, need any add. info on mods ask me ill tell ya how to do em step by step

DO NOT LISTEN TO 88MAX2NV, HE IS A *UCKIN LIAR, HE DOESN'T KNOW **** ABOUT CARS!!!!!!!!!! ASK ANYONE MAN, THEY WILL TELL YOU THE SAME.
Old 09-05-2002 | 07:28 PM

dude dont pay some one to make you a mesh grill. thats stupidas hell. take off you grill cut out the bars, go to a metal wholesale place, get a sheet of 1/4in expanded metal and make you own. its the same stuff you buy at a parts store and for $30 you get enuff to mesh anything on you car and a couple of you buddys cars too
Old 09-05-2002 | 07:41 PM
Charles Bisel

Stupid f*ck, you obviously never made a mesh grill, or maybe that's why you don't have a grill anymore. The plastic bars on the sides are too thin, it looks stupid and cheap if you do it that way. You have to get a custom plastic frame made for it, you dumb f*cking retard.

-C-
Old 09-06-2002 | 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Stupid f*ck, you obviously never made a mesh grill, or maybe that's why you don't have a grill anymore. The plastic bars on the sides are too thin, it looks stupid and cheap if you do it that way. You have to get a custom plastic frame made for it, you dumb f*cking retard.

-C-
See if you read the posts in thie forum you would realize that Charles is one of the smartest guys here. He knows what he is talking about and he is right, so once again 88max2nv, let us know where you live, we can have a mini meet at your place, then a death match.