1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Digital Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Digital Cluster

My father has a 88 max and his odometer is acting up. His speedo always reads 0. And he was saying something about a digital cluster but im a 5th gen guy, I dont know nothing about those. Can anyone get lead me in the right direction to help him.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:35 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Digital Cluster

Originally posted by 2000MilkedMax
My father has a 88 max and his odometer is acting up. His speedo always reads 0. And he was saying something about a digital cluster but im a 5th gen guy, I dont know nothing about those. Can anyone get lead me in the right direction to help him.
On 2nd gens, and some 3rd I think, there were to different dash styles. Analog, and Digital. Your dad probably has the top of the line GXE, as that was the only one you can find a digital dash in. Anyway, have him check all his connections, especially the wiring harnesses. These do have the tendency to go bad. I would also check the harness that connectes to the speedometer gear in on the tranny, its a ***** to get to. It's on the firewall side of the transmission, I think. If not, what he can probably do is go to a junkyard, and pull one from a wreck maxima.

S
Old 01-04-2003, 12:35 AM

I've got one...

1988 Max GXE.

I have the digital dash, and had the same problem. Well, sort of.

I suspect his cable has broken (it comes up in the center of the engine bay against the firewall). Mine pulled out of it's socket and the result was the speedo's failure.

Tell him to check if the odometer is still running. If yes, then it may be a problem with the dash itself since the cable would affect both, but if it's stopped too, he needs a new cable, or a fitting for the cable has stripped. Could also be the sensor/gear(still exploring mine) at the end of the cable I guess.

At first My odometer would read 2kph at highway speeds, and work when the car was in reverse only. In my case the cable just pushed back in once I found it and haven't had a problem since..
Old 01-05-2003, 11:03 AM

Re: I've got one...

It lights up, but he said its not as bright as it used to be and the speedo stays on 0.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:19 PM

ask him...

1) If the other guages work
2) If the odometer works (if the odometer works and not the speedo, then it's probably a problem with the dash itself)..

3) He should know this already if he's had it for a while but on my car there's a fade switch for the dash that makes it brighter/less bright to reduce glare if you're driving at night. If he didn't know this, it's on the right hand side dash where the cruise switch is (to the left) on my car.

If the fade switch doesn't work, and the odometer does, I'd guess that the problem is with the dash itself. My dash was actually replaced with one fromm a scrapyard by the previous owner due to it not working, but it didn't work at all according to him.

Hope this helps! Let me know what comes up so I'll haver an idea if it happens to me in the future!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:54 PM

ask him...

1) If the other guages work
2) If the odometer works (if the odometer works and not the speedo, then it's probably a problem with the dash itself)..

3) He should know this already if he's had it for a while but on my car there's a fade switch for the dash that makes it brighter/less bright to reduce glare if you're driving at night. If he didn't know this, it's on the right hand side dash where the cruise switch is (to the left) on my car.

If the fade switch doesn't work, and the odometer does, I'd guess that the problem is with the dash itself. My dash was actually replaced with one fromm a scrapyard by the previous owner due to it not working, but it didn't work at all according to him.

Hope this helps! Let me know what comes up so I'll haver an idea if it happens to me in the future!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:59 PM

Re: ask him...

What exactly do you mean by if the odometer works? Do you mean if it lights up? His miles aren't going up bc his speedo isnt working.But the gas is working, the engine temp, and the rpm's.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:19 PM

That's what I mean.

If both the speedo and the odometer (mileage) aren't working, chances are almost 95% that your problem lies in the cable that gets this information from the transmission (according to maximase86) and brings it to the dash.

Either the cable itself is broken/damaged, or the gearing at one of the ends is.

Thus the problem isn't the dash itself, and is most probably the cable.

The reason i asked if the odometer was working is because as far as I can tell, the odometer (mileage) isn't digital (doesn't rely on the spedometer), but rather mechanical, but both get their information from the same cable. Thus if the odometer worked and the dash didn't I'd suspect an electronic problem with the dash, but since both don't work, the problem is probably mechanical (as I said, the cable or the gears at either end.

I don't know what type of cost you're looking at since I fixed mine myself and didn't need a new one, but that's where the problem probably lies.

Since maximase86 says it's hard to get to, if you or your Dad aren't comfortable changing it, a mechanic would probably be a good idea. It shouldn't be too expensive, and no where near the cost of changing or fixing the dash itself I'd guess.

Good luck.