1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Low Fuel Warning Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 12:33 PM

Low Fuel Warning Lamp

As everyone knows, these Maximas are equipped with a low fuel warning light on the dashboard. The problem is....mine doesn't work. In fact, since I bought the car last March, I've only seen the thing come on twice. I checked the light bulb itself and it's not burned out. I'm really handy with electrical repairs but some additional information or wiring diagrams would really be helpful, including information on the sending unit and sensor for it, and any other controls or switches that it may use. I know it's not the most important thing in the world to fix but I'd just like everything to work. any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Dan
------------
88 Maxima SE
03 Sentra GXE
Old 01-08-2003, 12:55 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Low Fuel Warning Lamp

I think your guage has to be on the peg on E side for it to light. Though the whole idea is to avoid having to have the light turn on.

Sarin
Old 01-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sarins is right. You need to be way past "E" in order to get that light to come on. I had that light come on only once; and that was because I was chancing a trip to the store without getting gas. Even then, your fuel has to be just barely touching the sensor to trip that light, for example; your car is stopped, the fuel light is off. step on the gas, the fuel shifts to the rear of the gas tank, and the light will come on, and vise versa.......
Old 01-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, like Sarin and Rod said, you really have to run the tank down to the last drop. For an '88, I usually have to drive it 250-275 miles on a tank for it to come on (depending if it's mostly city or highway miles). I usually fill up at around 300 miles. The '85-86's have smaller fuel tanks, so they come on sooner than us guys with '87-88s.

The light is supposed to come on when there's about 3 gallons left in the tank, and usually that's about right, sometimes it comes on when there's only 2 gallons left though.

If you do think it's broke, I'd consider investing in a Chiltons/Haynes/FSM, as those have all the wiring diagrams and sending units (although it's confusing as hell unless you're an electrician). I've used it countless times to diagnose simple problems and to make some minor repairs and such, I'd definitely say it's been well worth the money.

-C-

Old 01-10-2003, 08:35 AM

I know for sure that it doesn't work at all, even when the tank IS empty. and I do have a haynes manual for the 1985-1992 maximas and an automotive electrical manual which is universal to most vehicles. however, the haynes book doesn't cover warning lights and the electrical manual gives a general discussion of them.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
I know for sure that it doesn't work at all, even when the tank IS empty.
So.... you ran out of gas once and no light?

My grandfather had a nickname for dash lights like the low fuel warning light. He was an old timer ya know. Always drove a Caddy. I believe he called them idiot lights.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:50 AM

basically. I tried chancing a trip home from work one morning. bad idea. noticed it never came on. as it sits now, there's barely any gas in it, the needle's a little under E, and when I run the car it stays off. but it seems like these cars have a problem with loose wiring connections. it's probably something stupid like that.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:56 PM
rcy

I've had the same thing happen with my car - a 1988 Maxima GXE (or GL if the dealer is to be believed). However, I have the digital dash, but I can also see the low fuel light on the dash. I've just never seen it come on, and I've run out of gas trying to test the damn thing. I know that the digital gas gauge does start to flash if the last bar is passed - maybe the light doesn't come on if you have the digital dash?

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
basically. I tried chancing a trip home from work one morning. bad idea. noticed it never came on. as it sits now, there's barely any gas in it, the needle's a little under E, and when I run the car it stays off. but it seems like these cars have a problem with loose wiring connections. it's probably something stupid like that.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:18 AM

I have the standard analog (needle-type) dash. the low fuel light is up on the dashboard above the heater controls with the alternator charge light, door light, seat belt, defogger, low washer fluid, etc. lights. I checked the bulb -- it's fine. my next guess is the sending unit. I'm assuming that's with the fuel pump under the back seat?

also -- does anyone know where I can get a good reliable set of wiring diagrams for these cars?

Dan