1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

NOOBIES!: " I have a Question" thread. Please read this first before posting!

Old 01-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NOOBIES!: " I have a Question" thread. Please read this first before posting!

First off, I will answer a few general questions:

Q: Why can't I start a new thread?
A: http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=413179

Q: Why can't I search maxima.org?
A: You can't see the search button dummy.

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a LEGITIMATE question. It can be ANYTHING that is 1st and 2nd generation related and NOT covered in the existing sticky threads. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, I will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT 1st and 2nd Gen questions that may be specific to one user.

SPAM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

ALL RESPONSES MUST BE A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!
New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

Postwhoring will not be tolerated!
-If you get an answer to your question, please move along.
-If you have a followup, by all means, post it.
-No posts to say "Thanks"
-No posting "I want to know that, too."
-Incorrect answers or answers that are just plain annoying will be removed.

All of these will be deleted. If it gets bad enough, I will just ban you.

All other sticky threads have answers to common questions, information about common modifications, and other generally good info.

One more reminder: THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCHING!!!

Last edited by max95q; 04-29-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Re: Attn Newbies

Originally posted by max88q
Before asking Questions use our very helpful search function located at the top right of your screen. We answer many of the same Questions almost every day so the answers are there just use the search if you cant find what your looking for after that then post. Thanks!

Your moderator

Q
Search is turned off for now so Newbies take advantage of asking Questions
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 PM

I want to make this very clear. Please read through the stickies before asking questions. Your answer maybe there.

This is from Maxima86se and I agree. Take time to read the stickies they are helpful in information to know about our maximas.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:00 AM

How long before I can post a question?

I've been interested in posting a few questions, and can't. How long? and thats not my name! Earl
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So i have a couple things wrong with my 87..When im putting the wheel in full lock it makes a metal on metal grinding noise for a second also sometimes when I'm accelerating it's really luggy for some reason, i mean it sounds like a diesel and the guy that i got it from hasn't gotten back to me about the timing belt/things that hes done to the car and hasn't done. So i know what i need to do..you have any links that i can visit to help me learn about my car/engine..im new
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK i have a 87 Maxima SE, i need to know what to do it is sputtering around 55mph sometimes it will even bog down and it takes a second to pick back up or i will just hit the OD switch and its fine. what could be causing this?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would just like to introduce myself and my 2nd gen that I just acquired out of my families storage. I have a 1985 maxima 100% original that I picked up with only 27K original miles. Granted it did need some work in the tuneup deptartment but I now drive it to work in San Diego 68 miles each way and have 35k averaging 26MPG. I will post pictures later but I am pretty sure I have a one in a million car.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My turn flashers recently stopped working in my 1992 Maxima SE. And i mean completely stopped working, no tick noise from the flasher unit or anything.

--- Which brings my to my question---

I have spent the past two days looking for the flasher relay unit and can't find it for the life of me. I purchased a Haynes repair manual, and the picture they show in the manual as being the flasher relay is no where to be found under my dash. I've looked all over various Nissan forums and website and have found quite a few different answers as to "WHAT" the flasher unit is and "WHERE" it's located!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In accordance with the rules, I will post my question here first.

I have an 87 Maxima, replacing the engine, I have everything unbolted and unhooked, the engine is hanging from the hoist at this point and there is only one thing keeping the engine in the car at this time... the CV's.

I have unbolted the 3 bolts from the support bearing (i think that is what it is, under the rear motor mount) and the axles are free of the hubs and just hanging there. However, I cannot get either of the axles to come out.

Am I missing anything or does anyone have any advice on how to remove the CV's?

Thanks in advance for any input or direction!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Parts

Hey I have an 88 maxima and cant find performance parts for my car can someone help me. I was looking for cold air intake, headers, turbo, things like that but the cheaper stuff first would have to save up for turbo. I was all so wondering could I fit BMW headlights with the angel eyes and projectors?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Slap88Max
Hey I have an 88 maxima and cant find performance parts for my car can someone help me. I was looking for cold air intake, headers, turbo, things like that but the cheaper stuff first would have to save up for turbo. I was all so wondering could I fit BMW headlights with the angel eyes and projectors?
for a turbo setup you can use parts from turbo Z31 300zx. you can use the turbo, oil lines, manifold, etc
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
for a turbo setup you can use parts from turbo Z31 300zx. you can use the turbo, oil lines, manifold, etc
Now I just have to find one with the parts on it. But thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 PM

Ebay might have the odd parts. best bet is to talk to Big E Dog, he twin turbod his 2nd gen before RWD converting it

do you have a auto or 5spd? if its automatic, it probably wont be able to take the boost for long

i dont know about headers or a CAI, theres very few parts left for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens anymore
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ebay might have the odd parts. best bet is to talk to Big E Dog, he twin turbod his 2nd gen before RWD converting it

do you have a auto or 5spd? if its automatic, it probably wont be able to take the boost for long

i dont know about headers or a CAI, theres very few parts left for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens anymore
I have an auto, and I was worried about the boost to. But is there any other thing I could do to add more power?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

On the "I have a question" topic, I REALLY need someone with a 2nd gen. (85-88) to do me a HUGE favor.
My connector broke off of my Fuel Temperature Sensor (located in the fuel pressure regulator), and I need to pass my smog test in California.
I need someone to check the resistance that is generated at around 60-70 degrees.

I'm gonna throw a resistor in place of it, until I can locate one somewhere.

My max is an 88, but I think all 85-88's had the same temp sensor.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all,

Quick and honest question for you Maxima/I30 guys. I've got a '87 300zx N/A vg30e, and Jim Wolf Tech completely ****ed up my ECU. Long story made short (because it is the ECU) I need to swap in a '80s Max Ecu to get back to normal since no parts yards have z31's inventoried in my area.

I just need to know the injector impedance/flow rate and 02 sensor styles corresponding to the year Maxima. My Z uses low impedance 180cc injectors and a zirconium 02 sensor, so the Maxima ECU needs to match these specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've researched for days and found nothing, since most people simply use Z31 ECU's for swaps such as 280zx's and 510's. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

AC issue

I have an '87 Maxima and have an issue with the AC system. When I purchased it from a used car dealer the AC worked but when they tried to recharge it they locked up the compressor. They reimbursed me some for it and I replaced the compressor with a new one. However the AC system hasn't worked since. It will blow out kind of cold for 2-3 minutes but will suddenly turn hot. I took it to a local mechanic to see if he could diagnose it and he came to the conclusion that a switch was bad. Problem is the part in particular he told me was bad is more of a connector and I'm unsure how to even go about fixing this issue. I've considered just replacing the entire AC system but I would rather go the cheaper route and simply fix what is wrong. Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The automatic seat belt in my 87 Maxima is stuck in the forward position. There are multiple places on the web (and on this forum) that allude to the existence of a lifetime warranty for safety features from 1987 onward.

I just got back from the dealership where they were like "lol, nope, only 10 years/100,000 miles". I'm a little annoyed because...well, the seatbelt is a very important feature and not exactly optional. I'm also paranoid that they want to treat me like dirt because they're more concerned with selling new cars than fixing old ones.

My question is this:

Is there a place where I can actually get a copy of the warranty information for my year so I can tell him to fix it?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by GetGoCar

Is there a place where I can actually get a copy of the warranty information for my year so I can tell him to fix it?
i know in the US 3rd gens had lifetime seatbelt warranty, 2nd gens might be the same. as far as i know the owners manual says it somewhere
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i know in the US 3rd gens had lifetime seatbelt warranty, 2nd gens might be the same. as far as i know the owners manual says it somewhere
As I do not have a copy of the manual (and I will have to wait a week before the one I bought on eBay comes in), my first step was to call 1-800-NISSAN1 to inquire about it.

After waiting the whole weekend for them to dig through their warranty database, they said the seat belts were only covered under a 10year/unlimited mileage warranty, so it expired in 17 year ago.

Quite a unsatisfying answer, if I say so myself. I will wait for the manual to come in the mail before I know for sure.

Rather annoyed at the prospect of having to shell out money for this. I'm going to see if I can poke around and fix it myself. Guess this sort of thing is to be expected if you own a car that's almost 30 years old.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Were you able to fix or replace the belts?

Originally Posted by GetGoCar
As I do not have a copy of the manual (and I will have to wait a week before the one I bought on eBay comes in), my first step was to call 1-800-NISSAN1 to inquire about it.

After waiting the whole weekend for them to dig through their warranty database, they said the seat belts were only covered under a 10year/unlimited mileage warranty, so it expired in 17 year ago.

Quite a unsatisfying answer, if I say so myself. I will wait for the manual to come in the mail before I know for sure.

Rather annoyed at the prospect of having to shell out money for this. I'm going to see if I can poke around and fix it myself. Guess this sort of thing is to be expected if you own a car that's almost 30 years old.
Did you fix them? They are correct. I went through this with Nissan USA, and they confirmed that the 89's were the first year to offer lifetime warranty on the seat belts.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

weird dash noise 4Okm+

hey everyone,
new to the thread. ive got an 86 maxima making a sound like a kazoo 40km+. gets louder with speed. not related to air recirc or fresh/heat/stereo.
any input would be great.
thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Due these cars have a check engine lights that comes on? because when I turn my key on the only dash lights that light up are seat belt and battery for me? is that normal or do I have blown bulbs? and how due i check the ecu for codes?

because I just started having a warm rough idle problem. Figures!! it was fine when I bought it and when I went through the car and I put about 150 miles on it any now this.

1988 se 5 speed. 93k

thanks
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MIKEC88SE
Due these cars have a check engine lights that comes on? because when I turn my key on the only dash lights that light up are seat belt and battery for me? is that normal or do I have blown bulbs? and how due i check the ecu for codes?

because I just started having a warm rough idle problem. Figures!! it was fine when I bought it and when I went through the car and I put about 150 miles on it any now this.

1988 se 5 speed. 93k

thanks
you have to jump at the ECU for codes and count the flashes, pretty sure 2nd gen have a CEL but like 3rd gens it rarely if ever comes on. refer to this link, bottom tells you where the ECU is located and what the flashes mean

http://torquespecs.tripod.com/maxima_85-91_codes.htm
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 AM

you have to jump at the ECU for codes and count the flashes, pretty sure 2nd gen have a CEL but like 3rd gens it rarely if ever comes on. refer to this link, bottom tells you where the ECU is located and what the flashes mean

http://torquespecs.tripod.com/maxima_85-91_codes.htm

okay, Thanks, got a code 33, so I replaced the o2 sensor. There are no more codes, reset the ecu and still no codes. I also replaced spark plugs, gaped them to .040, air and fuel filer, stp fuel treatment, cleaned the tb for carbon build up and sprayed carb cleaning into the intake, removed the air regulator and sprayed both sides with the clearer, it was built up bad with carbon. Plus degreased the whole engine bay. Now it runs and idles fine when it is warm, right at 600 to 700 rpm. No hesitation at all when I rev the motor. but now when I cold start the car it starts right up but only idles at 700 rpm and shakes until it gets a little normal and then its fine. When I first got the car and started it, it would idle around 1,100 rpm and go down from there. So did I mess up the air regulator by cleaning it or is it the idle-up solenoid failing or is it something else? the engine runs crazy smooth now once its warm. I can't believe now smooth it is.

Last edited by MIKEC88SE; 08-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.