1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

engine fails in extreme cold weather operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine fails in extreme cold weather operation

Please help, I have an 88 maxima that will start idle, and operate normally as long as the outside temperature remians above -10C. If the temperature drops below -10C, the engine will operate normally for approx. 5km at highway speeds where it will start to miss. The engine loses all power and will not respond to any throttle advances at all. At this point the car will stall and I must immediately pull over. I also notice that the engine temp lowers considerably during these events. After a few moments the car will restart, but idle very roughly and as the temp increses the idle smooths out and I can then continue on for several kilometers where the same thing happens. The injectors were replaced a few years back under the recall. Has anyone experienced this??
Old 01-29-2003, 11:00 PM

Re: engine fails in extreme cold weather operation

Originally posted by Team88
Please help, I have an 88 maxima that will start idle, and operate normally as long as the outside temperature remians above -10C. If the temperature drops below -10C, the engine will operate normally for approx. 5km at highway speeds where it will start to miss. The engine loses all power and will not respond to any throttle advances at all. At this point the car will stall and I must immediately pull over. I also notice that the engine temp lowers considerably during these events. After a few moments the car will restart, but idle very roughly and as the temp increses the idle smooths out and I can then continue on for several kilometers where the same thing happens. The injectors were replaced a few years back under the recall. Has anyone experienced this??
Crank angle sensor is the likely culprit. It is the module in the bottom of your distributor. They are replaceable, but you can't buy one separate from a distributor at Nissan (so I was told). I managed to get one from a boneyard distributor. I even got it out the bottom without taking off the distributor with an angle phillips screwdriver, #1point.

Sometimes you can get this fixed by blowing the dirt or dust out of the bottom of the distributor.

You may be having some condensation under the dist. cap, which will corrode the terminals inside. The condensation freezes, and it runs good until the ice melts and the moisture makes it run badly. WD40 will displace moisture.