1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Got some new gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 04:48 PM

Got some new gear

'sup ya'll MaxHeadz!

Just recently I copped myself with some gear for under the hood.

I bought 'em but haven't yet installed them...

Optima RedTop High-performance Battery
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil
DENSO Iridium Sparkplugs
Tornado Vortex air managment
and that full ZMax engine treatment

...so I expect some improvements. Sh*t I'm not gonna be all in my head that this would make the "Flash". All I know I gonna be investin' in some good sh*t .... it's kinda funny that when I was buying some of this, another Buster Kid was buying some ridiculous bullsh*t for his Integra...like some decals, neons, shoulder pads, wheel covers, Fram filter, and all that cheap accessories...then he tried to intimidate me buy reving his disconnected muffler at me and verbally challenged me for a race! hahaha well holla back

peace.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:00 PM

I would suggest returning that Tornado thing. Hopefully they'll accept it and you didn't pay a lot for it, because it doesn't work at all. Here's some proof: http://autorepair.about.com/library/...afpr052002.htm
Old 01-28-2003, 05:23 PM

fo' real?

don't know yet I heard good about it and now bad...but I'm cool about it. I'm just wanna give it a shot to see proof for myself...know what I mean? Gotta see it to believe it. Dont believe the hype. Well thanx for keeping me posted...gots to get the word both worlds.

peace.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:53 PM

That's cool, sorry that I came out a little rude on my post. I don't believe many infomercials.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:55 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Slider
That's cool, sorry that I came out a little rude on my post. I don't believe many infomercials.
Yeah, I don't think that the tornado is all it's crack out to be. If your trying to get more power, simply putting a piece of metal that swirls the air isn't gonna do it. If you want more power, you should consider doing a cold air intake. Though the gains are now big, probably 5 or so hp, you'll definately get more than what that tornado will do. You may also get a little more gas mileage too with the intake opened up. Either way, you got a tight ride my friend. Either way keep it up, I'll be working on my 86 to go along side yours.

S
Old 01-29-2003, 09:33 AM

thanx a lot bro...i appreciate it.
but that cold air intake is good in some what..
it could get more chances in collecting more moisture and dirt for where its at....also the modifications to make one for our models is quite too much work and quite expensive for something basic...know what I mean? I'm trying to find other ways with what the car has...if that CAI is available and if it convinces me I'm down for it! Strait up...need info on that bro 'cause if it gonna cost $400 then forget that...I would just spend it on a ECU modification and probably new records for my decks!

Peace.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:39 PM

I wish I would have read this 1 year ago, I bought one of those things for my Legend back in Y2k and I was like, wheres the beef I kept it in there waiting to see an increase in anything, (well my mileage went up)a bit, I was getting 19.9 MPG and ended up with 21.1 MPG Woopdy do a hole point. But anyway It's to late for me to return it, I saw that comercial that said maxima got 26.mpg and said I HATE YOU STUPID COMMERCIAL FOLKS
Old 01-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MrSmith
I wish I would have read this 1 year ago, I bought one of those things for my Legend back in Y2k and I was like, wheres the beef I kept it in there waiting to see an increase in anything, (well my mileage went up)a bit, I was getting 19.9 MPG and ended up with 21.1 MPG Woopdy do a hole point. But anyway It's to late for me to return it, I saw that comercial that said maxima got 26.mpg and said I HATE YOU STUPID COMMERCIAL FOLKS
Dude if I commuted on the freeway with my maxima, I would be getting 27-29 mpg. That's stock. Since I'm only doing stop and go driving, and a lot of idling, my mileage is down to 16 mpg. I got to get on the freeway more.

S
Old 01-30-2003, 06:23 PM

It's an easy logical thing: Tornado=restriction

Any nonmoving part put in the intake system is called a restriction. If the thing turned really fast it would be a different story.

You can get the same results as the Tornado by taking a wrench and beating a few dents in the intake piping.

It's a gimmick and a scam. You have fallen victim to this scam.

The basic concept that swirling air travels through the intake pipe faster is plain bull****. I have heard it compared to the swirling in a toilet, but people don't understand that the swirling SLOWS the flow. It's a common practice in industry to put a cross like piece over outlet drains on tanks and vessels to stop the swirling. This is done to make it drain faster.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Charles Bisel

I hate to have to take more wind out of your sails, but that Z-Max stuff that you got doesn't work either. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is suing the makers of Z-Max for unsubstantiated claims about their product. In fact, they ran their own independent tests and found that it actually caused damage to the engine, more damage than would have been done than if regular motor oil were used alone. I also read somewhere that the stuff in each bottle (the engine, tranny, and fuel treatments) are all the same, they just use a different dye in each one.

You can read about the FTC suit against the makers of Z-Max here: http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/zmax.htm

I also agree with the guys that the tornado thing doesn't work either. I can understand if you don't want to go CAI, I don't either because of the potential water damage. The best route to go is to get a MAF adapter, connect it to the MAF sensor and attach a cone filter directly to that. That'll get rid of the restrictive airbox, plus it'll have a greater surface area which means greater air flow. You'll get a decent boost in power plus it'll give your engine a nice growl. And you won't have to worry about water getting into your engine either.

The Optima battery was definitely a good choice, though I don't know much about the Denso plugs and MSD coil, I prefer to stick with NGK ignition products myself, as they're considered the best for our engines.

-C-

Old 02-03-2003, 11:32 PM
I love lamp.

You know what would be cool for those that decide to go the cone HAI route. Building a heat shield that draws cold air from the fender. You could probably do it by isolating the filter in that section from the engine compartment with sheetmetal, cutting a larger hole in the fender well and sealing it from the engine compartment. You would still the filter high and dry, and the inner fender lining would keep it free of water. Dunno, it's an idea. I got a guy that I know from yahoo groups that is gonna try to make a custom ram air. I will let you know about the results from that.

S
Old 02-04-2003, 07:43 AM

What up -C-

thanx for tha info. I can't believe it was that serious. At least the one I got is still in the box with the reciept....same thang with the Tornado! But what engine treatment will actually work? Huh?
I guess that ******* at Checker Auto was wrong about that zMax! That Mu'F*cka better give me that dough!

Hey -C- I asked ya about that cone filter installment on the MAI on the Yahoo Club but ya never bothered to respond. In case that ya haven't remembered, I asked what type of an adapter do I get and what size filter. So if ya can holla back please...'cause I might as well use that refund money from the zMax & Tornado towards that cone filter.

Oh yeah...them Denso's are very excellent. No beef with NGK but these Densos are actually excellent. I used to use NGK. I guess in somewhat trying some new performance products is a curiousity. Oh well...

Peace.