1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Which parts exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 06:33 AM

Which parts exchange?

I have an op to purchase a NA Z31 with a problem (it flat out won't start - owner thinks engine may be seized...been sitting for about 3 years). I can get it for cheap. Question is, other than engine, ecu & maf, are there any other parts that can be swapped over - mechanical, interior wise, suspension, etc...? Anything at all?

It's an 85 model, so I can put the wheels and tires on my wagon, as the tires were almost new when parked, and don't show any signs of dry rotting - they are still holding air after all this time...

Thinking about it for the MAF & ECU (if they're still good!), the wheels & tires,and to pull the engine, so I can slowly work on rebuilding it...with head work, cams, etc...for later install in my wagon...

Am I full of hollow pipe dreams?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:04 AM

Re: Which parts exchange?

Originally posted by MaxWgn
I have an op to purchase a NA Z31 with a problem (it flat out won't start - owner thinks engine may be seized...been sitting for about 3 years). I can get it for cheap. Question is, other than engine, ecu & maf, are there any other parts that can be swapped over - mechanical, interior wise, suspension, etc...? Anything at all?

It's an 85 model, so I can put the wheels and tires on my wagon, as the tires were almost new when parked, and don't show any signs of dry rotting - they are still holding air after all this time...

Thinking about it for the MAF & ECU (if they're still good!), the wheels & tires,and to pull the engine, so I can slowly work on rebuilding it...with head work, cams, etc...for later install in my wagon...

Am I full of hollow pipe dreams?
The engine will exchange from Z31 to Maxima or the reverse by swapping the oil pan and oil pump pickup, the driver's side exhaust manifold, moving the dipstick, swapping the rocker covers, and using the intake manifold upper section (plenum) for the car it is to be installed in.

Lots of switches, modules, and electric motors for accessories will swap. Lots of electrical parts will interchange, too extensive of a list for here. Air Flow Meter from all Z31s will swap and the ECCU will swap, if they are compatible as to emissions type (federal or California), transmission type (auto or manual), and type of injector (one hose or two hose). The turbo Z31 ECCUs are not compatible.

I think the steering racks will interchange with different tie rod ends, but I am not positive. They look alike but I have not gotten them side by side for a direct comparison. You can use Z31 motor mounts for the front side of a Maxima. Some folks put Maxima alternators and electric radiator fans on Z31s.

I have put Z31 engines in Maximas myself, and swapped Z31 engines from Z31 to Z31. I own two 85 Maximas (one I rolled over), and own two Z31s now and have had three others. I also have a 200SX SE V6, which has a Z31 powertrain and suspension.