1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Need 2nd Gen power and advice.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Ray66

Need 2nd Gen power and advice.........

Hi Fellas,

I posted this in the main forum because I fugured more guys would see it and respond. Thank you.

I'm new here and I own a 1987 black auto Maxima SE. The car is in great shape and I am the second owner. I bought the car in 1993. I want more power but I'm getting nowhere on how to do this....... Very soon I will re-paint the car and also I want to put on American Racing Estrella wheels 15x7.

- Do they make a CAI for my car?
- Can I do something with my exhaust to give me more HP. I hate those fat irritating, loud mufflers you see these days.
- Would a "pop charger" work for my car?
- Can I put 17 inch wheels on my car?

Finally I've been quoted by my local Tire Kingdom to replace all 4 shocks. Install and labor is $883.00 and they will use Monroe shocks. This is the lowest price I have found. The original shocks are electronic controlled and with the new set up it will not be.

Are Monroe shocks any better that KYB?

Does $883.00 sound about right?

Thanks in advance for an feedback

Ray

Old 02-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Performance link has everything you need to know
Old 02-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Ray66

Where?

Where would that be? The link?

Old 02-11-2003, 10:47 PM

at the top of this forum it says Important next to it. And yes you can fit k&n filter to your car as long as you have the nissan adapter to connect it to the maf. CAI would need to be custom made.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:47 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Where?

Originally posted by Ray66
Where would that be? The link?
Alright here are some of the answers:
There is currently no aftermarket CAI, you have to make a custom one.
You can buy an aftermarket exhaust from Pacesetter, it's a catback system, which doesn't have a fart can on it. From what I hear, there seems to be plenty of power, as well as nice tune.
You can install a pop charger on, you need to remove the airbox and have a MAF adapter to do so.
KYB is the better option to monroe's. KYB seems to be the replacement of choice, and quite honestly, if your looking for performance, your not going to find it with monroe's. $883 is way too much for struts on all 4 wheels. It should be more in the $300 range for parts and labor.

S
Old 02-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, I've got the Pacesetter exhaust on my car. It's pretty sweet, it has a nice tone and it's not a big, ugly, shiny fart can either, it looks very stock. Plus it has mandrel bends which increases the flow and the performance. I definitely noticed a slight performance boost after putting it on. That's the only catback exhaust system that I know of that is a direct bolt on for our vehicles, anything else and you're going to have to do some custom work.

I also have the KYB struts and I highly recommend them as well. The ride is a little harsh when you hit potholes and such (we've got plenty of those here in PA), but the car handles exceptionally well and as long as the road is fairly smooth, the ride is too.

Whatever you do, don't get Monroes. They are junk. The only good struts for this car are the KYB's and Nissan OEM's. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not since you're doing an electronic conversion. I believe that's a similar price to what Nissan charges if you just buy new electronic struts and have them installed. I had all four struts replaced with KYB's for around $350, but I didn't have the electronic setup to begin with.

My advice to you is to call up Nissan and see what they would charge to replace your struts with brand new electronic ones. Also call up a few local garages, don't go to any large scale shops like Monroe, they'll rip you off big time and put junk on your car. A local garage should be able to give you a much better price and they will be able to order the KYB's for you.

Oh, and 17" wheels will fit on your car, but worry about getting the struts replaced first, that's by far and away the most important thing to do. If not, you could lose control of your car and wreck or you could be doing damage to your front end parts like the tie rod ends, ball joints, tires, etc...

-C-

Old 02-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Ray66

Monroes' are that bad?

I've spoken to several in-the-know guys in my area and they say, "Monroe shocks/stuts will be just fine for your Maxima". Thay are gas shocks and have a lifetime warranty.

I can't undertsan why yop guys say Monroe shockes will be bad........

Which Pacesetter exhaust(how much-$$?)do you have and couldn't I just go to my local muffler shop and have them fabricate a y-pipe, I-pipe and throw on a sporty muffler?

$883.00 is the going price to replace all 4 shocks/struts on my car. I've checked around and that is the low price to do it! That's labor and parts. This will be a non-electronic set-up. If I were to redo my current electronic set-up, then Nissan dealer would do that job and your tlking $4,000.00 to do it! F'kn crazy!

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Charles Bisel

Okay, there's no way the Nissan dealership charges $4000 to replace struts, electronic or not. Also, it shouldn't cost any more than $400-500 for regular struts, but if you're going from electronic to conventional, it'll probably cost a bit more, but $883 seems a bit outrageous to me.

Secondly, Monroe's will work, you won't feel any bumps and it'll do the job just fine. Of course, your car will ride like a boat and will handle like sh*t.

I believe I paid around $150-200 for the Pacesetter exhaust system. Like I said, you could get custom stuff done if you want to, but I'd worry about fixing the struts first.

Also, I wouldn't bother sinking too much money into an older car. I started putting money into my car and as it gets older and I put more miles on it, things start to break and the car is generally falling apart. It's all pretty much out of my control to, stupid sh*t like the door panel breaking off, rust, etc.., it's just not worth it.

I can't wait till the day my student loans are paid off so I can get my Infiniti G35 coupe. This car has served me well and has made me a devout Nissan enthusiast, but it's glory days are long since gone.

-C-

Old 02-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Ray66

Thanks......

I've decided on Monroe struts..... yes at $850.00 install and labor at Tire Kingdom. I hope it's not to soft a ride......Everybody and their brother that I talk to round my neck of the woods say the Monroes struts will do fine. I have an SE you know so I hope it is firm enough to give me that sporty-firm ride and be soft also. I went to my local Muffler Man shop today and he will fabricate me a 2 1/2 diameter pipe from the cats back. Then install a high polish stainless steel muffler (staright thru baffle) from Goerlich's exhaust. It's an oval w/3 inch round tips. He wants $150.00 for the muffler and $250.00 for the total job including labor.

My local import speed shop wants $230.00 for the same muffler but he calls it a "Hayame". I cannot find a cold air induction set-up for my year maxima (87).......

Would a K&N give me any gains(HP) than a paper filter for my stock air intake? Under my hood I have this insulation material and it looks terrible and it's halfway coming off, can I just rip it off or would this mess up my hood paint due to high temps from engine?

Also, what is "hi-flow cats"?

Any other advice is appreicated. I'll try and take some pics of my Maxima an post them here when I get it all done. You'll be amazed at the conditon of the car.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Ray66

Monza pace/

Charles, Do you have the Monza Pacesetter pipe and muffler? Or is fabricating a set-up good or bad?

How much did you pay for yours?

Old 02-13-2003, 06:47 AM

Re: Thanks......

Monroe struts will give you a more boat-like, luxo-ride. They are really suited for spririted, performance driving. I had to go with Gabriels, due to budgeting issues, and although they absorb the bumps, I'm not real happy with them. The fronts have only been on for about 2 years now, and the front left is almost totally gone, already, as well. The Monroe's and Gabriel's have very comparable performance characteristics.

The extra parts for the conversion could take the price up there, but it still seems a bit high.

The muffler you're describing is going to give the fart-can sound. If you want a nice, mellow note, instead, either go with the Pacesetter system, or getting a decent standard performance muffler. For the price, you could also get a good FlowMaster or DynoMax...for a little more, you could even consider a Borla. Then the custom pipe work. One question to ask is if the pipe will be crush bent, or mandrel bent. If crush bent, you won't seem huge gains, as the bends cause restrictions. The mandrel bends are smooth, fully open bends, and will usually cost a little more, but are worth it, if you can get them.

As for a HiFlow Cat, that is simply a cataletic converter for your car, that will flow about 10-15% more air, due to a more effecient, but less restrictive catalyst.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions...
Old 02-13-2003, 07:15 AM

struts

GET STRUTS FIRST!!!! please take everyones advice get those first, all 4 of my struts are gone but the rear is worse of, trust me this is what u want to do, because i have trouble keppin the car under control even at meduim speeds 45-60mph especially those bends n the road. the rear end just hasa bad habit of sliding out, so take my word get that done first, thast 3rd on my list to do, 1st alternator and 2nd is rear motor mount, but everything is good for get those struts, and i dont kno where u from but 830. your gettin ripped of my friend, i have 1 question are u letting the mechanic shop order the struts or are u ordering them? because if so thats where ur problem lies, they are doing the same thing to me for an alternator, every where i called said they would have to order it and it would be 230 for it when every where i went online it was 95 or less with 3yr warrantee and 75 core charge shipping included so u cant go wrong with that, but my advice would be is find the parts u want online first calculate how much it is then compare i pretty much guarantee, there will be a major difference

~mike
Old 02-13-2003, 03:13 PM

Re: Struts........

When you get those Monroes...... get a barf bag. I had a friend (a Max owner who sold his Maxima before he left for Korea) bought a set of Monore shocks. I rode with him to get them installed while my Max was getting the fuel injectors replaced at Nissan. It rode like a boat, like everyone said. You will have no control in a 70-75 mph turn (like the passes here in Washington) due to the handling of the car. Trust me, dude. You DON'T want to make any sudden moves when your car floats like that! Look at my thread on the issue of Max Speed here on the org.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Ray66

I got the KYB's.....

That's right, I got the KYB's. I'm getting nowhere on the cold air induction for my 87 Max-nobody makes one! Also, nobody makes a cat-back for my 87 Max either!

I'm not getting anywhere with this......

Finally, I think I will just have a muffler shop fabricate me a 2-1/2 pipe from the cat back then install a nice, non-fart can sounding muffler. Any recommendations? I hear Thunderbolt makes a decent muffler.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:43 PM

Wait a minute!!!!

Can't you change your exhaust system by first starting with headers? I must have read (or mis-read) that we can use y-pipes on our 86 and up Maximas. If so, we should be able to change the mufflers on our cars. As far as CAIs, I know we can custom make our own. Someone is supposed to began designing a CAI for 2nd Gen Maximas, I don't know how he is fairing out.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:50 PM

Yeah we call it a y- pipe/ down pipe all the same thing. And we just stated Pacesetter makes a catback setup for our cars I have an 88 and I believe nismo87se had one on his car. Itll work either way though custom or pacesetter.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Ray66

Give me the info......

I need names and phone numbers......

Give me the company name and phone number's that makes headers, exhaust, mufflers, CAI's for a 1987 Nissan Maxima SE's(sports edition)....

I want a nice single outlet stainless steel muffler that's a straight thru flow but fairly quiet. Nice rumble but no FART CAN **** SOUND.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Ray66

Pacesetter does not make stuff for my 87 maxima as I called them.

Max88q, I called pacesetter by phone and they told me they don't make an exhaust or muffler my 87 maxima. However, they do make stuff for 88's on up.......

Thanks anyhow.....

Old 02-13-2003, 10:23 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Pacesetter does not make stuff for my 87 maxima as I called them.

Originally posted by Ray66
Max88q, I called pacesetter by phone and they told me they don't make an exhaust or muffler my 87 maxima. However, they do make stuff for 88's on up.......

Thanks anyhow.....
Here is the thing, the 88's are the same as the 85-87 for the exhaust system. There should be no reason why that won't work.

S
Old 02-14-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: Re: Pacesetter does not make stuff for my 87 maxima as I called them.

The only difference is, the 87/88 Max's have twin tips, while the 85/86's have single tips. That is the reason the Pacesetter system isn't listed for the 85/86. You could probably widen the cut out for the exhaust a little, to permit the dual tips, but not sure...there could be metal uder there...haven't checked.

The cheapest alternative would be a custom exhaust. I wish my wagon had the single exhaust cutout...it would be easier to do a custom exhaust - with the wider opening, you need to either run a single, 4" tip, a single to twin y-pipe type adapter, or a twin outlet muffler.

As for recommendations, stick with brands that have been around for a while, and are known performers, such as FlowMaster, Borla, Thrush, DynoMax, etc...

Anyone ever run a straight pipe back, and use a Supertrap or two for the muffer / tip? That's an option, also.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:22 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Pacesetter does not make stuff for my 87 maxima as I called them.

That's true, but you can do a single tip on the 87-88's, for the 85-86 you can do dual tip, but you have to widen the notch on the rear bumper skirt so both tips can go by. From the muffler back, everything else is the same.

S
Old 02-14-2003, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pacesetter does not make stuff for my 87 maxima as I called them.

Originally posted by maximase86
That's true, but you can do a single tip on the 87-88's, for the 85-86 you can do dual tip, but you have to widen the notch on the rear bumper skirt so both tips can go by. From the muffler back, everything else is the same.

S
True, but due to the wider opening, if you run anything but a large diameter tip on a single outlet, it just looks wrong to have a single tip on an 87+. One solution would be a squared or oval tip, like on the newer Max's or the 93-95 Chevy Z28's...takes a single tip, and makes in about 2" high, and 3-4" wide...then it might look ok...
Old 02-14-2003, 04:05 PM

I was looking into getting two squared Tips put on but my muffler was put on abit crooked so it wouldnt have looked right. I have a hole in mine now so its looking to get replaced with some chrome Square tips.