1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

elec. shutoff switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 02:31 AM

elec. shutoff switch

Hey guys/girls i just found somthing on my 85 max that i thout was pretty sweet. its a small white switch located inside the fuse box, it shuts off the power inside the car, which means if your working on your car or wanna leave your trunk open you dont gotta worry about running down your battery. i thought it was pretty cool, went shooting the other day and had my trunk open for about 8 hours and didint have to worry about running down my battery. just thought id let yous guys know in case you didint already, i think its tight!
late
Old 02-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, but you should still disconnect the battery when working on the car. That switch is for long term storage, it shuts power off to the components that slowly drain the battery like the radio, etc..

-C-

Old 02-24-2003, 12:05 PM

Indeed.

The kill-switch is usefull, but you can still drive the car with it in the off position, so right there you see that it isn't sufficient to just turn it off when you're working in the electricals.

Another annoying factor is that you lose your pre-programmed radio stations, personally all I listen to is tapes anyways.

If it's only the trunk light you're worried about, why not just remove the bulb?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:46 AM

First off, you guys are a bunch of bizatches! Here I am all happy that I found this killer little switch that makes things easier, and your all "rufruf, this is ofr this and not that" and "huff, why dont you just take out the bulb?" and "pufruff, Im a stupid bizatch, and I dont know a good thing when I see it". To answer your dumb questions, yes I know it doesent shuttoff everything, I just meant its nice to work inside your car with the doors OPEN which, if you dont turn off the light (or "take out the bulb") may discharge your batt. and if you leave the trunk open (without "taking out the bulb") you may also discharge the batt. So for you biz`natches that did not reply with some sort of "oh thats cool" reply............your stupid.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:38 AM

Sorry

This bizatch read the user's manual...
Old 02-25-2003, 07:03 AM

Owners Manual?? hmmm....you mean that helpfull little booklet in the glove box that DIDINT come with my used "biege maxima beast"?? hmm!?!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by jayrebb
First off, you guys are a bunch of bizatches! Here I am all happy that I found this killer little switch that makes things easier, and your all "rufruf, this is ofr this and not that" and "huff, why dont you just take out the bulb?" and "pufruff, Im a stupid bizatch, and I dont know a good thing when I see it". To answer your dumb questions, yes I know it doesent shuttoff everything, I just meant its nice to work inside your car with the doors OPEN which, if you dont turn off the light (or "take out the bulb") may discharge your batt. and if you leave the trunk open (without "taking out the bulb") you may also discharge the batt. So for you biz`natches that did not reply with some sort of "oh thats cool" reply............your stupid.
Oh my bad! "Oh thats cool".

Better?

S
Old 02-25-2003, 01:09 PM

I suppose...

You've also never heard of Chiltons or Haynes?

Besides, I already know I'm stupid. It's a side effect of that disease called humanity.

Sorry I burst your bubble, but I can imagine a few people being annoyed at having to reprogram their stations,<sarcasm> so for anyone else reading this who might in fact not be you it would be a good thing to know in advance now wouldn't it?</sarcasm> This is of course considering that you're not the only person in the world who didn't know about the switch in the first place,<humor> a slim possibility I admit.</humor>

Booyaka!

K?
Old 02-26-2003, 03:58 AM

Re: I suppose...

First of all I would like to thank you for informing us of what was supposed to be [sarcasim] and [humor], otherwise your message would have been much more confusing. Yes, I am aware of cheap overthecounter shop manuals such as chilton and haynes, I however prefer factory shop manuals which provide much more information, they are however hard to find somtimes which is why I do not yet have one for my max. I have only had it for a month. Fact remains, I found a cool switch, you chose to bytch.

boofokya (is that right?)

K?
Old 02-26-2003, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

Oh my bad! "Oh thats cool".

Better?

S
Thank you.