1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

So Im driving to Temple

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So Im driving to Temple

Just a 30 min. drive. Anyway I get on the highway and I start hearing this clinking noise I thought it was something in the dash because my tires for some odd reason need to be balanced, Again! Anyway so Im still driving and start noticing my oil pressure is dropping slowwwwly. I was like ok, So I stop I hear clank clank clank......... No miss, Im like OH CRAP! Im thinking its the oil sending unit. So I pull over to check the oil and come to find out every single 4 Quarts of oil, GONE! So Im trying to find the nearest place to put oil in the car. I finally find a Gas station and put all in and as Im doing it I look under the car and see a medium size black oil puddle is sitting underneath my car. Im checking where its coming from. Find out the dreaded rear oil seal is leaking not too badly but enough for me to worry if I should carry oil around now. So I put all 4 Quarts in and everything so far is ok my oil pressure has been fluctuating with my driving, no more clanking. I just had my top end redone over the summer now this. My mom just had her rear oil seal replaced on her 95 Volvo 850 and that was 900 bucks. I just took a loan out for 1500 for the top end now this! Many things are spinning in my head right now. I dont know what to do. How much you guys figure to do the rear oil seal on our cars? About 900 bucks? I was hoping to spend my tax return on struts and an upgrade to a 2.5 inch exhaust. Now it seems another major repair has to be done.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:51 PM
I love lamp.

Re: So Im driving to Temple

Originally posted by max88q
Just a 30 min. drive. Anyway I get on the highway and I start hearing this clinking noise I thought it was something in the dash because my tires for some odd reason need to be balanced, Again! Anyway so Im still driving and start noticing my oil pressure is dropping slowwwwly. I was like ok, So I stop I hear clank clank clank......... No miss, Im like OH CRAP! Im thinking its the oil sending unit. So I pull over to check the oil and come to find out every single 4 Quarts of oil, GONE! So Im trying to find the nearest place to put oil in the car. I finally find a Gas station and put all in and as Im doing it I look under the car and see a medium size black oil puddle is sitting underneath my car. Im checking where its coming from. Find out the dreaded rear oil seal is leaking not too badly but enough for me to worry if I should carry oil around now. So I put all 4 Quarts in and everything so far is ok my oil pressure has been fluctuating with my driving, no more clanking. I just had my top end redone over the summer now this. My mom just had her rear oil seal replaced on her 95 Volvo 850 and that was 900 bucks. I just took a loan out for 1500 for the top end now this! Many things are spinning in my head right now. I dont know what to do. How much you guys figure to do the rear oil seal on our cars? About 900 bucks? I was hoping to spend my tax return on struts and an upgrade to a 2.5 inch exhaust. Now it seems another major repair has to be done.
Hmm, time to start making calls for quotes. I'll tell you one thing...them 850's are bears...as for 900 dollars, that seems steep to me, but I've never had to replace an oil seal.

S
Old 03-01-2003, 10:04 PM

Re: Re: So Im driving to Temple

Originally posted by maximase86

Hmm, time to start making calls for quotes. I'll tell you one thing...them 850's are bears...as for 900 dollars, that seems steep to me, but I've never had to replace an oil seal.

S

I dont think it became a major prob with the 850s oil leak until my dad tried to get at it. Thats why it had to be replaced, it got worst as he messed with it.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:05 PM

After what I went through with the car last time I dont trust noone but the dealer now. But still like you said time to make some calls.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:44 PM

rear oil seal is a PITA. Expect to pay around $600 for it. It shouldn't be any more expensive than doing a clutch replacement. Since the tranny has to be removed order new drive axle seals too. Hopefully the motor isn't damaged too bad from oil starvation.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
rear oil seal is a PITA. Expect to pay around $600 for it. It shouldn't be any more expensive than doing a clutch replacement. Since the tranny has to be removed order new drive axle seals too. Hopefully the motor isn't damaged too bad from oil starvation.
I dont think she is. I think I caught it at the brink of time before anything real major was going to happen. I made sure I didnt drive too fast after I saw ther was barely any oil in the engine. After I added the Quarts back in, she purrred. 600 for me is reasonable I guess because Im expecting to get close to that if not more from taxes. Im still ****ed though. I was really looking forward to the 2.5 inch catback setup and maybe 2002 maxima muffler, and the struts are needing bad attention. I need to win the lottery
Old 03-02-2003, 06:27 PM

Too bad.

It's too bad you didn't live closer, I'd pull it and put on the new seal for way less. The seal assembly itself is a total cinch, the real bear is needing to pull the axles, pull the tranny, etc., etc. As for the seal assembly, as long as the surface on the crank isn't scorred from the worn seal, the new assembly just slides over the crank and bolts on. The housing which holds the seal is just a cast aluminum piece into which you press the new seal. It's that housing that bolts to the block.

It really sucks that for such a small dollar item, it costs to much to get to. I can get that seal for $20 CDN, all the rest is labor. Sucks hey???