1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

'88 Legran

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:18 PM

'88 Legran

Hi all,
My max is playing up. I can't pop the bonnet! This is a pain in itself, but I only found out when I tried to take a look at what is causing a squeeking noise. I assume its the fan belt, but does anybody else any ideas?

Anyone know how I can get the hood open as well?

Regards
Mark
Old 04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Charles Bisel

The hood doesn't spring open. You just pull the lever back and then go and open the hood. But don't push the lever back in! You just pull it out and leave it like that, if you pull it out and push it back in, the hood won't open. I know, it's bizzare and it took me a while to figure out, even the mechanics that worked on the car were baffled.

Also, this car doesn't have fan belts, so that can't be your problem. I'd check your accessory belts and pulleys.

-C-

Old 04-30-2003, 09:50 PM

You're Right,
It is really bizarre.... But it worked. Thanks heaps. Did you get a replacement spring or something, or just put up with it?

I'll check those pulleys for that noise now.
Thanks!
Mark
Old 04-30-2003, 10:29 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by markosmith
You're Right,
It is really bizarre.... But it worked. Thanks heaps. Did you get a replacement spring or something, or just put up with it?

Thanks!
Mark
I myself would just put up with it. You could put springs in, but quite honestly, if you hood still opens and close without it...why bother?

S
Old 05-01-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by markosmith
You're Right,

Thanks!
Mark
My 86 Wagon did the same thing until I replaced the front
hood bumpers, now the hood will pop up.

Scott
Old 05-14-2003, 10:44 AM

Hood Bumpers

Don't know if this will help, but the bumpers on my '82 were missing when I got it so I used the set I had on a spare MG Midget hood I had laying around. They screwed right in and work great.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:19 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Hood Bumpers

Originally posted by John L
Don't know if this will help, but the bumpers on my '82 were missing when I got it so I used the set I had on a spare MG Midget hood I had laying around. They screwed right in and work great.
Hey John! Where have you been hiding for the last while? Have you heard from Bleach lately? I was wanting to see if he wanted to go the a Maxima meet this weekend.

S
Old 05-15-2003, 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Hood Bumpers

Originally posted by maximase86

Hey John! Where have you been hiding for the last while? Have you heard from Bleach lately? I was wanting to see if he wanted to go the a Maxima meet this weekend.

S
Sarin, What's up?
Haven't heard from Bleach since the p-brake cable thing.
Last month was rough. 2 funerals and a wedding. Had to go to the Bahamas for the wedding and extreme northern WI for the funerals. Still trying to get caught up. Been working on the MG (burned my eye welding on it over the weekend) it's been down a year and a half and every time the sun shines I get pi##ed that it's sitting in the garage in pieces Haven't done anything with the Max other than put gas in it and drive.
Take care,
John
Old 05-15-2003, 12:51 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Hood Bumpers

Sarin, What's up?
Haven't heard from Bleach since the p-brake cable thing.
Last month was rough. 2 funerals and a wedding. Had to go to the Bahamas for the wedding and extreme northern WI for the funerals. Still trying to get caught up. Been working on the MG (burned my eye welding on it over the weekend) it's been down a year and a half and every time the sun shines I get pi##ed that it's sitting in the garage in pieces Haven't done anything with the Max other than put gas in it and drive.
Take care,
John
Sorry to hear about the funerals and your eye. At least your max is seeing use. I talked to bleach...he's actually getting a rid of his max. I guess he was having too many troubles with it. So he's keeping his 94 altima and his 280zx.

S
Old 05-15-2003, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hood Bumpers

Originally posted by maximase86

Sorry to hear about the funerals and your eye. At least your max is seeing use. I talked to bleach...he's actually getting a rid of his max. I guess he was having too many troubles with it. So he's keeping his 94 altima and his 280zx.

S
I appreciate the sympathy, but these things happen. If you can, though, try not to weld down in the foot well without a helmet d'oh.
Too bad about Bleach, good that he's keeping his Z at least.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:55 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hood Bumpers

I appreciate the sympathy, but these things happen. If you can, though, try not to weld down in the foot well without a helmet d'oh.
Too bad about Bleach, good that he's keeping his Z at least.
Definately, I don't think he will stray from datsun/nissan's anytime soon.

S