1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

No More Water Leakage...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 12:31 AM

No More Water Leakage...

... I hope. Since I bought the car, the trunk would leak when it rained, and it's sure been doing a LOT of that here in PA lately. I knew about it when I bought the car last year. In the winter after the blizzard, everything in my trunk was frozen to the bottom. that's AFTER I managed to thaw the lid out enough to open it. but now it's just water, and it's been so moist in the 2-month hibernation that it was in that I have an insect colony in the carpeting and it produces a nasty smell. well I sprayed the insects and I'm airing and drying everything out, that carpet that goes over the spare tire, and everything and I sprayed some of that rubber coating in the spare tire well and that little compartment where the jack sits.

I think the water was getting in through the rubber seal around the inside of the trunk, where the lid closes. it was not adhered down and it kept coming up, and I think it just seeped in through there. I took the seal off, put some silicone caulk around the lip and inside the seal to hold it down and keep water out, and put it back on.

HOPEFULLY this will stop this problem.

one thing at a time, it's becoming a better car. if I didn't think it was worth it, I never would have spent $550 to have a clutch replaced. A while before I got this car I had a 1989 Nissan Sentra and that thing NEVER broke down. it NEVER went in the shop, heck it never ran out of gas. that's why I bought this 88 Maxima SE after my piece of junk chevy cavalier was totaled. I'm convinced that these are simply the best cars ever produced. and from what everyone says, the 177,000 miles I have on it are still the "breaking-in" miles.

I love this car.....
Old 05-31-2003, 01:40 AM
Charles Bisel

Wow, your from PA too, so am I! I live outside of Pittsburgh. The winters around here sure do take a beating on these cars. My car is showing signs of rust around the wheel wells and a bit on the doors.

You're right, mechanically these cars are awesome. I also had a POS Cavalier and that thing was junk. I haven't had any problems with the Max, just routine maintenance so far, and its at 125K, so it still has lots of life left in it.

-C-

Old 05-31-2003, 10:45 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah, I'm starting to hear a lot of people having problems with thier trunk staying dry. I had standing water in the bottom of my trunk in the space under the carpet. It turned out the drain for the sunroof got clogged and bumped out of the place. This caused it to back up a bit. I drained it out by removing the drain, and then I cleared the line as much as I can. Seems to be working real good now.

S
Old 06-04-2003, 03:46 PM

I was just going to post on this subject to ask if anyone knew where all the water was coming from. I had the same thing with my car, about 3" of water in the spare well and the jack area is pretty rotted out. I did the same thing in the well, cleaned it out real good and sprayed it with rubberized undercoat.

I suspect a leak in the rear window area though, as the plastic at the base of the window on both sides looks 'dusty' like it's rotting away. I'll have to check the seal on my trunklid. And I don't have a sunroof.

I noticed that there was a lot of sand/grit between the glass and the rubber seal at the base of the rear window where it curves inward towards the front of the car. I dug that all out of there with a small flat screwdriver and a thin piece of sheet metal. I bought some clear sealer/adhesive for RV roofs that says it can be used to seal windshield leaks too. I still have to clean both sides with lacquer thinner, then I'm going to squeeze a little bit of the sealer in between the glass and the rubbert. I plan on removing the aluminum trim in the corner of the window so that I can pull the rubber away from the window a little more.

As my car is in my garage right now and will not be on the road for about another month, I won't know the results until then.

Leigh(Shiro_se)
Old 06-04-2003, 04:10 PM
I love lamp.

Well, most of the water that could get in the trunk will come from the rear windows, the power antenna assembly, and the sunroof tray rear drains.

S