1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Diesel 82 Max... on the Mend

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 09:23 PM

Diesel 82 Max... on the Mend

Well so far here is what has gone down.

Dec. Bought a munched Max diesel. Munch is in rear side drivers tire at about a 10 degree angle. Car sat unused for about a year. On inspection it ran ok.. was maybe drivable engine wise. Rear tire had some tilt...

Purchased it for 300 buks and towed it home. Car did have some lugging problems that I suspected to be Alge or Air leaks.

Sat Rest of winter till now. Had to quit my job to even have time to work on it.

Ordered a new/used rear A arm some time back, Drained fuel tank, replaced fuel filter, added a clear prefilter. Installed the new filter using a cheap diesel fuel additive at a much higher % than it reccomends (50/50)along with diesel in the filter. I put some at maybe a 30/70 mix in the fuel tank along with some new diesel. Car engine now runs AWSOME. Drove still funny cause of rear supspension. To my suprise the both power side mirror adjusters worked. So did the AC!!!!, and the radio, heat etc. Cooliooooo.

Today removed old bent "slightly" A arm. Bend is evident if you look close. Nothing else on the Unibody or in the brackets of the rear suspension set up appear bent. Axle half shaft looks to be fine to. This one does have rear disk brakes. Cut the bracket off the old A arm that holds to the secures the brake hydaulic line; steel to rubber attachement point. Didn't want to mess with trying to undo a rusty brake line is why I cut it off. Been there... history for me is it is not allways a succesfull thing to mess with.

Tommorow I Will modify the bracket on the replacement A arm so the part of the bracket I cut off the old one; which is still around the brake line, can be bolted to the modfied bracket on the replacement A arm.

Then I'll install the replacement A arm, bolt her all back together and see how she goes.

Funny thing is I bought a cheap air tool cut of wheel, and tried to remove the bracket with that cause surely it would be faster. It wasn't going to well, maybe cause of the cheap China air too. I then bought an Air chisel and tried breaking the welds onto the Arm with that. Again not much luck. Finaly broke out the hacksaw. It sliced thru it like real cold butter. Only took maybe 5 mins. Live and learn and at yourself.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:24 PM

noooooo..... It's a diesel Goofball.... Maybe some LP at some point!! Propane shots in a Diesel are like Nitrous in a Gasser.

Definately soon it will be converted to WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) as fuel.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:29 PM

Update:

Well instead of bolting the old brake line bracket to the replacement A arm I slotted it to allow the metal brake line to slip in. The clip still goes on just fine and is holding good.

Otherwise I got it all bolted back together and went to put the tire on and found that the replacement A arm had one bad lug bolt. Go figure. I took the wheel and brakes back off. Swapped a lug bolt out of the old A arm into it and put it all back together. Put 3 Lug nuts back on. (trashed the 4th before I discovered the bad lug bolt). As I was putting things away I found 2 spare lug bolts in the trunk!! SWEEEEET.

So..... she is now running anddd driving like a top.. butttttt...... well thats for another thread.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:17 PM

Hey coachgeo, I am going to buy an 82 Maxima diesel. I wanted to ask you how many miles you have on your 82 and do you have any pictures of it?
Old 06-12-2003, 08:10 PM

Yow sorry man... I missed this....

hmmm... no sorry no pics at the moment. It looks just like a Maxima but with a whack on the read quater panel.

Mine has 117,000 something miles. PD around 300 bucks for it cause of the damage to the rear. Also, it sat a year and Im haveing a shiat time with algae. Thinkkkkk I just solved that issue though.

S