1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

trunk switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:41 PM

trunk switches

ok i got to thinkin that i'd like my trunk switch to accually work so when i was out in the salvage yards there wasnt one that didnt have the same problem mine has.....the problem mine has is the **** that you use to pop the trunk has broken off...

do most maximas like ours have this problem?

so i was talkin with my pa and he and i had a thought and i was wondering if any one knew if the switch was a momentary switch or not?

i'm thinkin i could go get a dash borad security dealy (that orange thing that lights up) and put it inplace of my trunk...lable it trunk and just push it like a button instead of screwing arround with a broken ****....i wont light it up...although that might be a good idea for at night but i do know if its a momentary switch i can use a computer switch (an ATX power switch or reset button for you computer literate people)
Old 07-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Charles Bisel

I heard a few people having problems with their trunk swtiches, but knock on wood mine hasn't failed me yet.

I was thinking of an idea similar to what you're thinking of doing. I'd like to replace all of the swtiches on the dash with aluminum toggle switches like the kinds that they use in fighter jets. They even have ones that light up at the tip of the swtich. I think it would look pretty cool and I haven't seen it done in any other car. My switches are all scratched up and you can't even read the writing on some of them, plus they're just cheap plastic anyway.

The only thing is that it would be a pain in the ***, cause you have to make sure the swtich would fit in the stock opening or be a little bit bigger. Plus you'd have to rewire all of the swtiches. Also, I think all of the swtiches on the dash are momentary ones, so it would have to be compatible.

-C-

Old 07-13-2003, 11:21 PM

i'm only replacing the one and i have looked back there and if it is indeed a momentary it doesent require a complete rewire...just one to one side and the other to the other side...the switch wont care which is positive and negitive....any way i dont know where you got the fighter jet switches....i skimmed mabe i missed something but i was going to make a button...not a crappy out of place button though that why i thought about using the security dash indicator...and who knoes...mabe if i can find an extra 3-5 volts near by it i could light it up
Old 07-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Charles Bisel

I saw those particular fighter jet style toggle switches in the Wal-Mart automotive section. Those were the ones that were aluminum and had the light on the tip of the switch. I think it was only the switch though, I don't think it had a housing for it, so it would probably be too small to put in the stock switch hole and a pain in the *** to try and mount it.

I would imagine that other places that sell automotive stuff would have them like Pep Boys or Auto Zone. I know they have other swtiches there, like the regular plastic toggle swtiches that light up, like the kinds that come with aftermarket fog lights.

-C-

Old 07-14-2003, 12:04 AM

eh....i dont want something thats gonna look out of place....i think what i am gonna do is take the old switch housing out and hollow all the mounts for that crappy little switch out with my dremel and then use plexiglass that i have left over from a computer project as the part you push in...form it so i'll fit in there and i have a thought about how to make a mold and then use hot glue and the mold to bulid up a sort of filler to fill the gap between the button and the plexiglass with a LED in it to light it up....mount the switch on a bracket that i'm going to have to make and then solder the wires....it wont light up right away untill i get a chiltons/factory book to find out where i can get some power but atleast i can open my trunk with out the key and not have it open it self... i only got 2 keys with the car and my pa has the other incase his el-camina dies again
Old 07-14-2003, 01:31 AM

mine broke apart a few months back, so it must be a thing with our Maximas. even in a junkyard the ones I saw were busted. I was fortunate enough to find one in another junkyard, along with a security light.

it's a simple normally-open single pole switch for the trunk release, anything you put in there will work.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 AM

yea i know what your sayin it'll work but if you dont get a momentary switch you have a standard on off switch and you turn it on and your trunk latch will stay open and go ERRRRRR untill it lets the magis smoke out after a while...i'm afraid of that....i think my idea is neater any way
Old 07-14-2003, 11:45 AM

yeah it's worth a little improvising, cos you'll probably have a difficult time finding one in a junkyard.... unless you want to get one from a dealer but if I recall it was like $35......screw that....
Old 07-14-2003, 04:42 PM

kinda ironic i just found a teeny tiny momentary button from a computer in my room a few minutes ago...i'll use that...it'll fit well...

i pulled the housing out today....its different than i thought...i was expecting the switch to be hard wired into the electrical system but instead it had a connector which makes it even better so that now i'll only have to solder the wired to the existing connector in the housing...i'm working on hollowing out the mounts fpr the ****....i am thinkin of going dremel for that if i can find the right but...so far i used a drill and a 1/8" bit....doesent work very well but it got it started...i'll take pics...its not going to be any thing fancy but it could be entertaining...never know...
Old 07-16-2003, 01:26 AM

I have my old "SECU-RITY" dashboard light that fell apart, it's pretty much hollowed out and will fit any of those holes. all you'd need to do is find a piece of rectangular plastic to cover where the lens used to be, and drill a hole in that for the pushbutton. don't think it'll look too bad either.

if you want it, I can mail it to you. It's junk to me, useless, I don't want anything for it.... let me know
Old 07-17-2003, 11:22 PM

is it brown and how much?
Old 07-18-2003, 04:00 AM

it's brown, don't want anything for it, if you want it it's yours.

it's just a little plastic piece that fits in that rectangular hole, and is pretty much hollow, cos there was just that orange lens over it that said "SECURITY". I was figuring you could maybe get a pushbutton that fits inside, or make a little cover plate for it.

I can bring my scanner over here and scan it for you....may be easier to understand...
Old 07-18-2003, 04:09 AM

it's just a little plastic piece that fits in that rectangular hole, and is pretty much hollow, cos there was just that orange lens over it that said "SECURITY". I was figuring you could maybe get a pushbutton that fits inside, or make a little cover plate for it.

I can bring my scanner over here and scan it for you....may be easier to understand...
Old 07-18-2003, 04:14 AM

sorry, didn't mean to post that twice, I'm seeming to have connection problems with the whole maxima.org site
Old 07-27-2003, 05:28 PM
shimoto

the trunk switch on my 86 maxima is also broken off. it does not open the trunk at all, and in fact it jus comes completely off...i would also like to no where to get a replacement bsides the junkyard.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by blackmaxima88

ohhh...i thought you said you had a extra trunk switch....yea i know what the security thing is...i have one (stupid alarm is all messed up though) yea that'd be alot easier...you sure you dont want any thing for it?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:59 PM

nah, don't worry about it. if you want it, it's yours.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:07 PM

well shimoto, if you're looking for a replacement that doesn't come from a junkyard, chances are your only other option is a Nissan dealer. you might be able to find one online at like a site that sells Nissan accessories, but keep in mind our Maximas are considered "old" and finding parts is difficult.

I would also check Ebay, usually when one of these cars is killed (or in the HIGHLY unlikely event that the engine dies) people usually part it out and sell em. I've seen a few trunk switches, a few security lights, etc. even if you see maxima parts and not a trunk switch, you might be able to e-mail the seller and ask him/her if he/she would sell you the trunk switch. I did this when I needed a door handle, trunk switch, and low fuel sensor for the warning light.

I checked prices around here a while ago for trunk switches and to get one from a dealer was around $30-$35 and there was a 2-week waiting period. seemed kinda outrageous.