1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Finally, a true 2nd gen CAI running off the TB.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:06 AM
I love lamp.

Finally, a true 2nd gen CAI running off the TB.

...that is run directly off the throttle body. I tell you it was
some work, fitting everything out, and getting everything to work. I
believe it took a total of 4 hours on Friday night to figure how to
pull everything out and measure, and put it back together. Saturday,
20 minutes to get the mandrel pipe cut, and 4 hours today to get
everything fitted and installed. There are still loose ends to
finish up. First thing being I need to replace the couplers with
better ones (we used the cheap ones you get from home depot, I will
be getting the nicer silicon ones for myself). Second, I need to
find sometime to mount the AIV to. Though it's fine and fully
working, it is just kinda hanging there, so I will want to clean
that up.

Basically, what I have removes the old vacuum chamber/resonator box,
moves the MAF to a better location, and makes to intake path
extremely more simpler, as well as efficient (The old stock intake
changes the direction of the air a total of 7 times, a cone setup
changes it about 5 times, mine change the air about 1.5 times with
one bend, and a partial bend). Anyway, it doesn't really require
anything to be relocated, except for the AIV and a small ground. The
stock intake duct hole location just needs to be enlarged to fit
every thing also the AIV hose will need to be chopped down a
breather fitted to it (since mine was like that when I put the cone
on.

Now what has changed, the most noticeable is the sound. My car is
dead quiet when idling, it doesn't make the air noise a 3rd gen VG
does with a CAI, but when at least 1/2 throttle past 1500 rpms, the
very very deep rumble. It's not a sort of deep throaty noise like a
regular cone intake. This rumble is total sleeper...when WOT passed
2500rpm, it is very, and I mean very loud if you have your windows
open (it is noticable with the windows closed, and doesn't drone too
much). Either way it's very very sleeper, with a very vicous
bite....well for my car anyway.

Now for the performance. I haven't gotten a change to dyno do to the
fact that dyno day was yesterday for nwm. But, it is dramatically
better in my car over stock, and over a cone intake that sucks in
hot air when the engine is warm. I can pull at any temperature now.
Also my car is pulling much harder than before, and you can feel it
too. I can really feel it. Also to put it into comparison (which is
cool because the NWM, I got a change to compare my car to a few
different gens). I pulled a 3rd gen VE auto off the line from a red
light (and before you say auto's are slow, VE's are kick *** motors,
though 5-speed is faster, the auto can pull a VG 5-speed), by about
3 car length before he could catch up. Next comparison is with
Maximan 97 S/C Max (this guy is from oregon, he just got a V2
installed along with MEVI, but right now he's untuned at 6-8psi,
running pretty rich, but still pulling 238hp at the wheels, he will
be fixing this soon when he gets a cartech though). He had one of
the other oregon guys driving his car, but when they made a pull, I
kept within a car lenth with him, while he slowly was crawling me.
That I must say is a great improvement over a cone intake,
especially since maximan's car can still run high 14's as is.

So right now, I can say that the intake that littlepiggie installed
for me is definately worth it. I think is much better than a cone
intake, better than a CAI running through the stock vacuum/resonator
chamber, and maybe a little better than RAM air in my honest opinion
(plus compared to RAM air, require least modification). So far,
prices have not been final yet. We are looking at about $150 for the
setup, painted the color you want, with maf adapter, cone filter,
couplings and clamps. Looks to be about $120 ish without filter and
maf adapter.

Anyway, I will get pics posted soon, also may have a movie to give
you all an idea of the sound it makes.

S
Old 10-13-2003, 02:35 AM

you gonna show us this because i cant imagine it
Old 10-15-2003, 12:41 AM
I love lamp.

Alright all, here are some pics. Now keep in mind this isn't the finished product. I'm getting new couplers to clean up the look (since the cheesy pipe couplers with aluminum flashing from home depot look like crap. Also the mid pipe isn't quite finished. Right now it's made out of 3" radiator hose, that will be converted to aluminized pipe with the 4 fittings for vacuum hoses etc.

The temporary mid pipe

The old resonator/vacuum chamber

The CAI

S
Old 10-15-2003, 12:44 AM
I love lamp.

Oh yeah, the CAI will be painted. I'm painting my the same color as the body, with black couplers. I will get new pics when I get it painted. I will also try to get shots of the filter in the fender.

S
Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I seen it, that is to say I saw it.

This thing sounds awesome, and after watching Sarin do a couple of runs, I can even see a visible difference. I took a video after we finished so that should be available sometime soon.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:23 PM

so you can take the resonator/vacuum chamber out and then run almost everything all the way though directly to the engine?

when you pull the chamber do you have to screw with other things or once its out its out and you dont have to screw with it any more?

i was planning on getting a short ram and a cone and basicly what i am saying is i could use a little more info for wheni rip that annoying box and that damn rubber duct out of my car and smash it to frickin peices...i hate that thing it gets in the way when your workin on the body
Old 10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
I love lamp.

Well basically, if you remove all that stuff, basically you have 4 lines that will need to be connected to the intake. If I were you, I'd go with the CAI simply because that will give you the best power. There was a noticeable different from my old setup which was sort of a ram air, but with the rat's next of piping still there plus the fact that it sucks in hot air when the motor is warm. Running it direct like I have gives the air a more direct path, with least resistance and turbulence blah blah blah. Either way, if I were you I'd jump on the CAI when littlepiggie starts producing them.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM

so basicly if i have 4 lines shouldnt i be able to drill holes in what ever piping i have and then stick em in and glue em so they dont come out...or atleast in my mind thats what i'd do...hmm...i dont know i'd still ned more detail but i dont feel like thinking right now...one of those days
Old 10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
I love lamp.

You have to weld fittings on. Either way, if you want to do an intake, I suggest you do the one little piggie is making. The pipes will be done for you, all you need is to install it. I can tell you right now, it's worth every dime, my car has felt more solid than with the cone intake I had on before. The performance gain was much better than I thought it would be too.

S
Old 10-16-2003, 04:56 PM

improve mileage much? with this new setup?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:10 PM
I love lamp.

I dunno, just filled up because I was left with about 1/4 tank after everything was done, plus I have been really heavy on the throttle lately, so you might need to give me a couple of weeks to assess the actual mileage.

S
Old 10-16-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
You have to weld fittings on. Either way, if you want to do an intake, I suggest you do the one little piggie is making. The pipes will be done for you, all you need is to install it. I can tell you right now, it's worth every dime, my car has felt more solid than with the cone intake I had on before. The performance gain was much better than I thought it would be too.

S

everyone at the meet couldn't believe the gain, and for a CAI that is HUGE.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
I love lamp.

Here is a movie of the very first run with the CAI. The sound is amazing, I never thought I'd get that from my car....ever. Thanks goes the hoodedmonkee and spipedong92se (spipedong90 here) from NWM. Even bigger thank goes to littlepiggie for building it. Anyway here is the link. Lemme know what you guys think.

http://piggieracing.home.comcast.net/sarin.mpg

Hopefully I can get a camcorder doing some runs with it....including some runs on the dyno.

S
Old 10-16-2003, 08:22 PM

Wow, sounds like you got a V8 in there. My Max is still stock, hope some day to do mods to it. Looking forward to hearing about how your car is running in weeks to come.

Al
Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 PM

sheesh it sounds like my uncles drag car
Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 AM

Alright all, here are some pics. Now keep in mind this isn't the finished product. I'm getting new couplers to clean up the look (since the cheesy pipe couplers with aluminum flashing from home depot look like crap. Also the mid pipe isn't quite finished. Right now it's made out of 3" radiator hose, that will be converted to aluminized pipe with the 4 fittings for vacuum hoses etc.

The temporary mid pipe

The old resonator/vacuum chamber

The CAI

S
How'd you connect the system into the fender?

What did you use for ductwork in the fender and
how did you set up the air filter?

Looks like steel tubing from the fender, then MAF, but
is that rubber hose to the TB?

What thickness of tubing did you use? What is the tubing
made from (steel?) and where did you buy it from.

I've been toying with a set up similar to yours, mine's
still in the planning stage...

Looks good and sounds great!

Scott
Old 10-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I love lamp.

Keep in mind this isn't completely finished yet. The portion you see between the MAF and TB is temporary because we didn't have a welder on hand to weld fittings on. When finished I will be using aluminized steel through out. If your honestly considering a CAI, I would have one made by littlepiggie. Like I said, it has been worth the money I paid for it. Plus the performance gain was unbelieveable. Also consider that this CAI is cheaper than pretty much all the one available for newer max's.

S
Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 AM

Keep in mind this isn't completely finished yet. The portion you see between the MAF and TB is temporary because we didn't have a welder on hand to weld fittings on. When finished I will be using aluminized steel through out. If your honestly considering a CAI, I would have one made by littlepiggie. Like I said, it has been worth the money I paid for it. Plus the performance gain was unbelieveable. Also consider that this CAI is cheaper than pretty much all the one available for newer max's.

S
Do you have any pics of how the front fender was modded
for the CAI?

Is the air filter still the cone style mounted in the fender on
a 90 degree bend?

I can do my own welding... where does Littlepiggie get his
tubing stock from? Would any major hardware outlet have
the tubing?

Are you running a modded or stock TB? If modded, from what
car did you pull yours from?

Also, give me a run down again on your exhaust system.

You're talking to a 37 year old hot rodder... I've modified a
"couple" of cars in my lifetime!

Thanks!
Scott
Old 10-17-2003, 10:37 AM
I love lamp.

Don't have pics of the piping for right now. As for littlepiggie's sources for that tube, your gonna have to ask him since he provided that stuff for me, and keep in mind this isn't readily available stuff from your hardware store. I still do have the stock TB, but I have a 240sx TB ready to install, just haven't had the time to mill out my intake manifold collector etc. As for my exhaust I have a 2.25" piping from the cat all the way back with a high flow 2.25" muffler. It's nothing overly elaborate, but it sounds really nice. Quiet when idling with really nice resonation when on the throttle.

Also sorry if I'm not giving you a lot of information, keep in mind I'm also trying to get business for littlepiggie since this CAI was such a success on my car. So I'm not trying to give everything out so you can just build your own etc. If it's cool with him, I can give you all the info you'd need to build it, but I'd really like him to be successful with these if you know what I mean. Maybe if you want to do all your own welding and stuff, I can talk to littlepiggie to provide you with everything you'll need to build it if you like.

S
Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 AM

Don't have pics of the piping for right now. As for littlepiggie's sources for that tube, your gonna have to ask him since he provided that stuff for me, and keep in mind this isn't readily available stuff from your hardware store. I still do have the stock TB, but I have a 240sx TB ready to install, just haven't had the time to mill out my intake manifold collector etc. As for my exhaust I have a 2.25" piping from the cat all the way back with a high flow 2.25" muffler. It's nothing overly elaborate, but it sounds really nice. Quiet when idling with really nice resonation when on the throttle.

Also sorry if I'm not giving you a lot of information, keep in mind I'm also trying to get business for littlepiggie since this CAI was such a success on my car. So I'm not trying to give everything out so you can just build your own etc. If it's cool with him, I can give you all the info you'd need to build it, but I'd really like him to be successful with these if you know what I mean. Maybe if you want to do all your own welding and stuff, I can talk to littlepiggie to provide you with everything you'll need to build it if you like.

S
No problem... I've already shot Littlepiggie an email asking him a
few questions.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm stepping on toes, but I'm always on the
lookout to add more performance to my Max.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 10-18-2003, 01:32 AM

just wondering, when you guys finish this and offer it for sale, how long will they be around for? because i probably won't be able to buy one for 6 weeks at the very least. i need to beef up my bank accounts heh.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:38 AM

ok i was wondering:

i know its in my car in the system for the intake but what is it and why couldnt you mount it directly (might make it look cleaner)
Old 10-18-2003, 01:45 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by MoonKnight
just wondering, when you guys finish this and offer it for sale, how long will they be around for? because i probably won't be able to buy one for 6 weeks at the very least. i need to beef up my bank accounts heh.
Well bro, I believe they will be around for as long as littlepiggie keeps making him. I'm still talking with him on the final steps and what not...but I'm sure he can work something out with you, so don't worry.

S
Old 10-18-2003, 02:16 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
ok i was wondering:

i know its in my car in the system for the intake but what is it and why couldnt you mount it directly (might make it look cleaner)
Alright Niku-Sama, if you take the time and read everything, THAT ISN'T THE FINAL PRODUCT! Littlepiggie is in the process of making a mid-pipe since we couldn't make one when the CAI went in (because we didn't have a welder available). Hell, the flashing around the couplers have already been removed. Once everything is done and painted, the look will be much better and I do admit it looks ugly right now. Keep in mind, that ugly thing works very well. Now as for the mounting of the MAF sensor...you can just mounted against TB. There are lines that draw vacuum from the system that is metered by the MAF. Doing that will prevent that, and may cause the engine to run like ****. If you look on every newer gen maxima with a CAI, they don't mount the MAF against the TB. Hell, they don't even do that stock.

Now my question for you is are you serious about a CAI?

S
Old 10-18-2003, 02:19 AM

nice work! sh*t I want one! I don't think I'll be able to install it! because I don't have all necessary tools and materials. Sh*t I can't even take that air-box caca outta there! but yah, I'm down for one when its a finish product. I COULD afford one too. Make sure there is all materials and complete 100% instructions. Soon I'll be the next 2nd Gen with a CAI. no doubt! oh yah. that resonator box...does it provide any function for the engine? is there a purpose it is there? when it is removed to install CAI, would that missing resonator cause any harm to the engine? plus did you ever thought about this new product (can't remember where to get it) but you could custom make a CAI hose because this product is a hose that's flexible and provides any desired length? I'll look for it. But anyway, nice job and hook me up!

PEACE
Old 10-18-2003, 02:41 AM
I love lamp.

I'm gonna post ordering information on a seperate thread. I believe the resonator box was put there to help detune the motor and provide some sound cancellation. I haven't notice any effects to the engine performance other than it being much better. There won't be any harm done to the motor so you'll be fine. As for the flexible hose, I don't think that would work as good as the mandrel bent steel piping, if anything I'd rather have one that was made to fit my car, and my car only, not the universal stuff. :P Anyway keep an eye out for the new thread. Littlepiggie is taking orders now!

S
Old 10-18-2003, 01:22 PM

Alright Niku-Sama, if you take the time and read everything, THAT ISN'T THE FINAL PRODUCT! Littlepiggie is in the process of making a mid-pipe since we couldn't make one when the CAI went in (because we didn't have a welder available). Hell, the flashing around the couplers have already been removed. Once everything is done and painted, the look will be much better and I do admit it looks ugly right now. Keep in mind, that ugly thing works very well. Now as for the mounting of the MAF sensor...you can just mounted against TB. There are lines that draw vacuum from the system that is metered by the MAF. Doing that will prevent that, and may cause the engine to run like ****. If you look on every newer gen maxima with a CAI, they don't mount the MAF against the TB. Hell, they don't even do that stock.

Now my question for you is are you serious about a CAI?

S

i was just wondering i know its not the final product.....sheesh
Old 10-18-2003, 02:02 PM
I love lamp.

So are you serious about it or not? Your asking these questions, nit-picking everything from the sound to the looks. I can totally understand if you don't like it, but somehow, you don't seem to be straight forward about that, and it's starting to really irritate me. Let me tell you why. I spent 2 years trying to figure out what would work best for a CAI. I've seen a few that people done for thier one cars, but I wanted something that would be different from those, but at the same time, not some crappy one that doesn't really work. Some of the things you have said have come off to me like you think I don't know what I'm talking about or what not. I find this kind of insulting. If this is not your intention, sorry for misinterpreting you.

Just please be a little straight forward. I'll try to answer as much as a I can. If you don't like my CAI, I can accept that, but just say so, don't beat around the bush.

As for everyone else, I apologize if I sound like an a-hole or anything. Especially when I'm not giving exact specifics for the CAI. It's not my intention to come off like that, but I want to make sure littlepiggie gets some business since this CAI turned out to be a success in my opinion. If you have any thoughts or suggestions about this, feel free to let me know, I am open to that.

Thanks,

S
Old 10-18-2003, 04:07 PM

i didnt know what the thingy was!

most of the stuff i deal with is pretty simple, AC compreccors Alternators and Chevy 350s from the 1960's...most of the work i do to cars is body/interior work so basicly i know a little but more than changing oil/sparkplugs/filters and matience stuff but not the super we can replace this with this and improve boost and such...

and besides i need breaks before filters/plugs/wires (god damn spark plug wires) so i'll still have a car to do stuff to and drive
Old 10-18-2003, 05:46 PM
I love lamp.

You didn't answer my question! Again!
heh. I'm not gonna bother....
Old 10-18-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i didnt know what the thingy was!
and besides i need breaks before filters/plugs/wires (god damn spark plug wires) so i'll still have a car to do stuff to and drive

well gee what do you think the answer was...piggy already shot me a PM and when i do this i'll let him know
Old 10-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I read someone said that there were nice gains. What were the hp gains. Im still trying to pull up the vid(I have dial up now)
Old 10-19-2003, 05:42 PM

I read someone said that there were nice gains. What were the hp gains? Im still trying to pull up the vid(I have dial up now)
Old 10-19-2003, 06:01 PM
I love lamp.

I haven't got a chance to dyno the car yet, from how the car felt, there was definately a gain, especially on torque. I'm gonna try to dyno the car as soon as I can.

S
Old 10-19-2003, 07:28 PM

cool, good deal. Glad to see you venturing out on a limb for the 2nd gens. Stilldidnt get to see the vid too slow of a connection.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:14 PM
I love lamp.

well the vid is about 4mb, so it'd probably take some time to download. It's easiest if you download to your computer then play it.

S
Old 10-27-2003, 06:06 PM

ok so its been a while...hows it affect gas mileage if it affects it at all?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:33 PM
I love lamp.

ummm, I have only filled the tank only twice. So far it looks like I'm getting a little better mileage, but it's hard to tell still....especially with all the lead foot driving I've been doing.

S
Old 10-27-2003, 09:11 PM

heh yea lead feet dont help much.... do my share
Old 10-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

say if I order the CAI, how soon can I b installing it in my car. Or how long will it take 2 ship, dayz, weeks?

Ben

Quick Reply: Finally, a true 2nd gen CAI running off the TB.