1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

what other transmissions will fit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what other transmissions will fit...

i have an '87 Maxima, and im doing a tranny swap on it, from auto to manual. the problem is finding a donor car in the salvage yard that is a 5 spd. but there are other Nissans in the yard that are standards. my question is, what other transmissions will fit up to the '87 Maxima? Sentra, Stanza, Altima? if any of these will fit will the other parts that go along with a manual trans be compatible also?

another problem is that when i make a left or right turn, i hear a grinding noise, i believe its the CV joints. also when i was changing the oil and while under the car i noticed that the driveshaft boots were pretty much gone. could the reason im hearing grinding noises is because the boots are torn off? or is this two different problems?

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-06-2003, 07:04 AM

the CV's are likely shot, and at least partially due to a lack of the protective boots...

When you swap the tranny, the cheapest alternative here is to simply install new half-shafts, since you have to pull them out anyway...

the tranny from a stanza SHOULD fit, but that is likely going to be the only thing from that car you'll need for the swap...and, although it's the same model, since it butted up to a 4-banger, you may just chew it up and spit it out, with the torque of the V6 turning it...I'd suggest sticking to a Maxi trans...look for a 3rd gen 5-sp...89-91..not sure if the 92+ trannys will mate up correctly...
Old 12-06-2003, 12:03 PM
I love lamp.

Don't use the stanza transmission, they are almost the same, but they aren't going to bolt up the same. If anything look for a 3rd gen 5-speed. If you can get the 92-94 5-speed, you may have the additional bonus of VLSD, but the half-shafts may not line up possibly. It's probably better to get the 89-91 5-speed, which I have in my 86.

S
Old 12-06-2003, 01:23 PM

I was thinking of doing a swap myself my 87 GXE is starting to jump like it has a bad tire when the car is in overdrive if I take it out of O/D it stops.Aside from the normal stuff i.e. tranny, pedals, clutch cylinder and time to do it what all would a guy need to do it?
Old 12-06-2003, 03:15 PM
I love lamp.

You'll need shift rods, shifter, clutch lines, half-shafts, will have to do a little wiring, and a friend or two. Also a good set of tools will be hand, along with breaker bar, torque wrench, lots of shop rags, something to collect ATF, probably a small hand pump to pump gear oil in. That's the most I can think of right now.

S
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i found this for a tranny swap for a different car, but i assume that its the same things.

List of Parts:
Helms Manual (VERY IMPORTANT) Helm Inc
Transmissions Assembly
Trans mounts-side
Engine Mount-rear (rear is optional-the rear auto mount will work)
Flywheel and bolts
Clutch Kit and bolts
Clutch Master Cylinder
*Clutch Slave Cylinder
*Clutch Dampener
*Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
*Reverse Switch
*Hydrolic Lines
*5spd Starter
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake Pedal Assembly
Shifter Assembly
Shift linkage
Auto ECU or 5speed ECU
5spd Intermediate shaft (half-shaft)
5spd Gauge Cluster (optional)
Cotter Pins (assorted sizes)
Assorted Nuts and Bolts

* MOST LIKELY THESE WILL BE ATTACHED TO TRANNY (DOUBLE CHECK)
**This list of parts consistes of the main components needed and does not include every little nut, bolt, and bracket. You get the idea.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:08 PM
I love lamp.

Looking good, though usually all that is on the tranny is the slave cylinder, and reverse switch. Also you might want to think about changing the front engine mount to the double donut one instead of the hydrualic type, but only do this if your car starts crawling with that mount.

S
Old 03-13-2004, 12:44 AM

hmm I dont think you need the guage cluster. Im making my 87 max a manual and Used a 85 max manual tranny. Stupid rainy weather :/ keeping me from working on it.